King Biscuit Flower Hour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Golly gosh... it was long ago when a few radio stations in listening distance of the various places I resided would air the King Biscuit Flour Hour. I do not remember any mention of quad though that term was not on my "radar" at the time. I was aware of quad but its expense and having to haul stuff around so often during frequent moves led to my sticking to stereo until the early 1990s. That was when I saw the Masterworks brand basic quad receiver in the thrift store and sighting it the memories of quad returned and curiosity led to my buying it and the quest began.

Found this:

"The concerts were usually recorded with a mobile recording truck, then mixed and edited for broadcast on the show within a few weeks. In the 1970s, the show was sent to participating radio stations on reel-to-reel tape. Some shows were recorded and mixed in both stereo and quadraphonic. In 1980, D.I.R. began using the LP format, producing the show on a three-sided, two record set. The first show on compact disc was a live retrospective of the Rolling Stones broadcast on September 27, 1987. By the year 2000, King Biscuit was using CD-R media to distribute the show. These tapes, records or compact discs were accompanied by a cue sheet which gave the disc jockey a written guideline of the content and length of each segment of the program."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Biscuit_Flower_Hour

Anybody ever see a quad King Biscuit Flour Hour tape or LP? I wonder if there are any floating around out there? Anybody ever hear a quad broadcast of the show?

Another little piece of the quad era that was not recorded well for history.

Golly gosh... it was long ago when a few radio stations in listening distance of the various places I resided would air the King Biscuit Flour Hour. I do not remember any mention of quad though that term was not on my "radar" at the time. I was aware of quad but its expense and having to haul stuff around so often during frequent moves led to my sticking to stereo until the early 1990s. That was when I saw the Masterworks brand basic quad receiver in the thrift store and sighting it the memories of quad returned and curiosity led to my buying it and the quest began.

Found this:

"The concerts were usually recorded with a mobile recording truck, then mixed and edited for broadcast on the show within a few weeks. In the 1970s, the show was sent to participating radio stations on reel-to-reel tape. Some shows were recorded and mixed in both stereo and quadraphonic. In 1980, D.I.R. began using the LP format, producing the show on a three-sided, two record set. The first show on compact disc was a live retrospective of the Rolling Stones broadcast on September 27, 1987. By the year 2000, King Biscuit was using CD-R media to distribute the show. These tapes, records or compact discs were accompanied by a cue sheet which gave the disc jockey a written guideline of the content and length of each segment of the program."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Biscuit_Flower_Hour

Anybody ever see a quad King Biscuit Flour Hour tape or LP? I wonder if there are any floating around out there? Anybody ever hear a quad broadcast of the show?

Another little piece of the quad era that was not recorded well for history.

I had a fascination for these quad radio broadcasts several years back and managed to track down a few of them. I have a few sets of the original reel to reel tapes that were distributed to the radio stations. Also have some of the later CD's that were distributed along with the accompanying cue sheets. In later years King Biscuit shows started being released commercially on CD, but I don't think the SQ encoding remained intact. I can't swear to that though. Often they did some mixing and matching with shows released from different years on the commercial discs. I have a couple of those as well, but don't recall what titles. I gathered some of the original press releases and articles associated with the broadcasts on my website; http://keepontrackin.webs.com/quadradio.htm#press 73

I had a fascination for these quad radio broadcasts several years back and managed to track down a few of them. I have a few sets of the original reel to reel tapes that were distributed to the radio stations. Also have some of the later CD's that were distributed along with the accompanying cue sheets. In later years King Biscuit shows started being released commercially on CD, but I don't think the SQ encoding remained intact. I can't swear to that though. Often they did some mixing and matching with shows released from different years on the commercial discs. I have a couple of those as well, but don't recall what titles. I gathered some of the original press releases and articles associated with the broadcasts on my website; http://keepontrackin.webs.com/quadradio.htm#press 73

There is no hint of any quad origin on the CD's but it's an impressive list of performers HERE

There is no hint of any quad origin on the CD's but it's an impressive list of performers HERE

The retail cds officially released by KBFH in the late 90's were remixed and don't contain any quad encoding. This was verified to me directly from a staff member at KBFH when they were released. However, many of the cds sent out to radio stations before this remix program have the SQ encoding still intact.

The retail cds officially released by KBFH in the late 90's were remixed and don't contain any quad encoding. This was verified to me directly from a staff member at KBFH when they were released. However, many of the cds sent out to radio stations before this remix program have the SQ encoding still intact.

I wonder if this one would qualify?

No. That one is listed as being recorded in 1982. The original shows that had SQ quad encoding were primarily from 1973 to 1976. Check Ed's link to Mark Anderson's quadraphonic radio discography above (Post #2). There are probably titles missing from it, but those listed have most likely been verified.

1. Barry Ehrnmann, President of Phoenix Media Group helped with the purchase
    of the King Biscuit archives in the mid-nineties to negotiate with the bands
    and labels for release of the performances on CD's, Barry reported that the
    warehouse were the 2 channel quadraphonic matrixed encoded master tapes were
    stored burned down and all were lost. Fortunately the 16 & 24 track reels
    that were used to mix the quad encoded tapes were stored in a different
    facility and he was able to use those and remix them for the CD's. Therefore
    only the original 1/2 track 2 channel SQ reels sent to the radio stations
    and copies made by folks on their home recorders contain the quad mix. CD's
    issued later are not SQ encoded.

I wonder where all those multitracks (16- 24-tracks) are now?

Station Man
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Rhiannon
Landslide
I'm So Afraid
World Turning
Don't Let Me Down Again
Hypnotized

this track list off the show by Fleetwood Mac at KBFH is quad or stereo?

I actually had the 1974 Rolling Stones/Brussels KBFH on cassette, before the tape broke, several year's later.
I'm still convinced, to this day, it's the 2nd best 'Stones, bootleg, next to Europe '73, Nasty Music, etc.
It was my go to car audio for about ten years.
I used to amaze people, with the versions, of Gimme Shelter, & YCAGWYW
Subsequently, 20 year's later, I found a guy in Chicago; "Big Frank" on Ebay, who had
both Nasty & Europe, on CD
I had heard stories from a friend, who was at the Brussels show, who raved about Mick Taylor
overshadowing the whole band; hearing is believing!

Station Man
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Rhiannon
Landslide
I'm So Afraid
World Turning
Don't Let Me Down Again
Hypnotized

this track list off the show by Fleetwood Mac at KBFH is quad or stereo?
I do have this show. I will play with it and see how it decodes.

Reactions: GOS
I do have this show. I will play with it and see how it decodes.
that's would be interesting. i checked Mark's listing but sadly there no playlist for their quad KBFL thus
impossible to figure out as they have stereo KBFH as well.

that's would be interesting. i checked Mark's listing but sadly there no playlist for their quad KBFL thus
impossible to figure out as they have stereo KBFH as well.
This show is from 06-07-1975 so it is in the quad era

thanks.
i got this from someone couple of years ago but without stating of any info when it was performed
so was in doubt and after last move not yet been set to check it myself.

This one (1974 Rolling Stones/Brussels KBFH) is great in quad - most of the band in the fronts and Mick Taylor in the rears with the horn section soloing away like crazy.

Agreed. I had this for years on cassette, but the quad makes it even better. This is my all time favorite Stones recording in any format. The version of Midnight Rambler is devastating!

Back