HiRez Poll King Crimson - THE RECONSTRUKCTION OF LIGHT [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - THE RECONSTRUKCTION OF LIGHT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 release from King Crimson called "The ReconstruKction of Light".
This release includes a brand new remix (including newly recorded drums by King Crimson drummer Pat Mastelotto) of the 2000 album "The ConstruKction of Light" in both 5.1 surround and stereo, mixed by the band's manager and audio engineer David Singleton. All new mixes were approved by the set’s Executive Producer Robert Fripp.

The 5.1 surround mix has been released as a CD/DVDA-V set, and it is also included on Blu-Ray within the 2019 box set "Heaven & Earth".

Plan9

600 Club - QQ All-Star
First voter! XD
I listened to the surround mix last night, at low volume because it was late, so I reserve my final judgement after another more full-on listening session (or maybe it won't change my vote).

First I must say this is the KC album I know the least and I struggle with the most, so this might influence my appreciation of the mix.
Nonetheless I really like what DS did with the mix. Of course it sounds more open and makes it easier to follow this dense music, as all good surround mixes should. I feel perhaps on the whole it wasn't as "aggressive" and well-integrated as a SW or ES mix, but there are evidently some very discrete things and surprises sprinkled throughout. I think the new real drums are an improvement, but I feel they are mixed a little too brightly for me, with the accent on the cymbals (that's what I feel for the stereo remix as well). Overall though, it is more enjoyable than either stereo mixes for me, so maybe the surround will be my gateway to the album; again, like every good surround mix should!

Last edited:

albertop

Plan9, what are your favourite tracks in surround? I've found the new drums to work particularly well in the heavy tracks.... but my opinion is based on having listened to the stereo remix only (for now!).

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
my 1st impression was a "logical" one, a bunch of things "reimagined" by PM's new drums but also a lot of mixing decisions I would have not agreed on..BUT , since everybody's a critic, I might as well take it all in with several grains of salt.... I had always loved PM's electronic drums in the original album.. oh well, I guess this 'rework" is better then NO rework or.. a kick in the pants(???)

blue.monk

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I'm glad that this and Power to Believe were made available outside of the expensive box set. I'm not a big enough fan of this era to have sprung for it. (Re) ConstruKction does have its moments (my favorite being the re-vamped FraKctured) but overall the mix, material and fidelity fall well short of the classic '69-'81 output mixed by Steven Wilson IMHO. Nonetheless, it's a good listen and I'd give it a solid 8.

hwkn

I too gave it an 8.It just didn't quite have the clarity of the best King Crimson 5.1 mixes especially in the vocals[i was glad i had the lyrics or at times I wouldn't have known what Adrian was singing].

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
I like this album more than I thought I would based on general reviews I have read of the music. Turns out I’m simply a bigger fan of these later incarnations of KC than many others. I find the music highly enjoyable.

The surround mix is very good. Having not been familiar with this album at all prior to hearing it in this mix and presentation, I find nothing at all to complain about.

A “9”

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I like this album more than I thought I would based on general reviews I have read of the music. Turns out I’m simply a bigger fan of these later incarnations of KC than many others. I find the music highly enjoyable.

The surround mix is very good. Having not been familiar with this album at all prior to hearing it in this mix and presentation, I find nothing at all to complain about.

A “9”
Welcome to the (tiny) club...this lineup was really outtathisworld....I think that TCOL and TPTB was some of the most groundbreaking music EVER... so much so that they have NOT realeased anything NEW since (everybody forgets that very important detail... how can you surpass that ???)