Kristin Vigard "God, Loves and Angels Complete" DVD -A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This one came completely out of nowhere but definitely worth a listen - a few years back there was a wonderful little movie called "Grace of My Heart" - a fictionalized retelling of the Brill Building songwriting era through the sixties with thinly veiled characterizations of Phil Spector, Carole King, Leslie Gore, The Everly Brothers, Brian Wilson and more starring Illeana Douglas, Matt Dillon, Eric Stoltz, and John Turturro. The producers of the movie brought together a team of songwriters - both current and from the orignal era to write the original tunes for the movie - most well known was "God Give Me Strength" by Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach - which eventually led to their own full length collaboration "Painted From Memory." That song went on to be nominated that year (1996) for an Academy Award (didn't win) - the woman who provided the singing voice for Ileana Douglas in the movie was Kristen Vigard - a little known Broadway and daytime television performer. I have the original soundtrack of the movie and the Elvis Costello sung version is the one they use - but I much prefer Vigard's voice which is a rich alto very reminiscent of Karen Carpenter.

Anyway, a long story short, I saw the movie again on late night cable a few days ago and tried to find out about that voice - lo and behold I came upon this album on CD Baby with her version of God Give Me Strength and was even more surprised to find out that it was available in Hi Rez DVD A - no word on surround but I will find out soon and report back - if anyone has any interest, more info and sound samples here;

http://www.kristenvigard.net/

http://cdbaby.com/cd/kristenvigard2

I remember the film well, although I haven't seen or heard anything about it in over a decade. Once I heard Kristen singing "Hey There", I was hooked and was delighted to watch the movie. She is a nice singer.

Chris

lo and behold I came upon this album on CD Baby with her version of God Give Me Strength and was even more surprised to find out that it was available in Hi Rez DVD A - no word on surround but I will find out soon and report back

This is 24/48 stereo for the DVD-A disc. Absolutely no video content, no menus, etc. It is actually a burned DVD-R with the stick on label. Also comes with a stereo CD-r.

Vinylguy4

This is 24/48 stereo for the DVD-A disc. Absolutely no video content, no menus, etc. It is actually a burned DVD-R with the stick on label. Also comes with a stereo CD-r.

Vinylguy4

Yep - a real DIY production - all in all, though a pleasant recording - nothing special although I now have the something closer to the original version of "God Give Me Strength" from the movie - much preferred to the Elvis Costello/Burt Bacharach version - I would not recommend this to anyone other than a fan of this particular movie.

Back