Latest Prerecorded 2ch Cassette or Reel, What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife digs '80s/90s country, and she found a few tapes by the Judds and Suzy Bogguss. Not in my repertoire, but pleasing.

ED :)

Pete Fountain The Blues (7 1/2ips)

Etta James At Last! Chess cassette rerelease on HIQ dolby HX Pro.

Some other recent cassette finds:
Zombies Odessey and Oracle on Rhino
Warren Zevon The best of Asylum
Rampal Bolling Suite for Flute and Jazz Columbia on CrO2 tape
Nightnoise Something of Time Windham Hill on BASF chrome and dolby hx pro
Woodlands Narada label on Cobalt tape and hx pro.

I have found that the last generation of cassettes got very improved sound if not always better build quality. I think cheap slip sheets has always been the weak element in cassettes

I have a couple of wonderful old tapes that have never, ever seen digital versions.
All time favourite is the Academy Of Ancient Music's version of Vivaldi's 4 seasons, played on authentic instruments as originally written, not played the "modern" way.
Christopher Hogwood is the chap in charge, and it's a 1983 decca version that still sounds amazing to me - the performance is awesome and is to my ears streets ahead of any other version.

The other one is an oddity - picked up Fashion's "Twilight Of Idols" and the cassette version has a stack of alternates & extended versions that never made it to the CD release, and are superior sounding masters to the CD as well.

I have a couple of wonderful old tapes that have never, ever seen digital versions.
All time favourite is the Academy Of Ancient Music's version of Vivaldi's 4 seasons, played on authentic instruments as originally written, not played the "modern" way.
Christopher Hogwood is the chap in charge, and it's a 1983 decca version that still sounds amazing to me - the performance is awesome and is to my ears streets ahead of any other version.

This one?

http://www.aam.co.uk/#/recordings/discography/vivaldi/vivaldi-the-four-seasons.aspx

"You'll never know until you try" (America, Only In Your Heart).
It has been released on CD in 2007... but for what i know classical music hasn't been so plagued by loudness war, at least not so hard as modern stuff; what has really plagued classical stuff is a sh*tload of NoNoise, extra reverb and bad EQ. Have some first hand horror stories/experiences about that...

Back