Leon Redbone Dead at 69

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is hitting me really hard and unexpectedly today, real tears are flowing.

I have two good Leon stories.

Saw him 5/16/93 at Herman's Hideaway in Denver. Unbeknownst to me, he had a little schtick he tended to do in concert where he had the stage lights out and took out a flashlight to scan the faces of the audience. While he was doing this, I happened to have a penlight in hand for my own nefarious reasons, so when he got to me with his flashlight I pointed mine at him and switched it on. He burst out laughing and said "man comes prepared."

Saw him again at Swallow Hill on 4/15/11, and my friend Laurie and I snuck backstage to greet him. He was very friendly. I asked him about his whistling, and if he had ever heard of jazz whistler Ron McCroby. He had not, and I suspect many here on QQ have not either. I gave Leon a tape (yes, cassette) I had in my car so he could check him out. He was very thankful for it.

Leon warmed up for Tom Waits on a full tour in the fall of 1978. I so wish I had seen that tour! It was just a little too early for me.

RIP Leon. Great music and great friendly energy!

I remember seeing him on SNL way back when. "Champagne Charlie" is my name........ In some strange way he was very likable to listen to. I ended up with a handful of his albums, although I never really played the heck out of them. Pulled them out when I was in a strange mood. They sounded great, btw.

Time is a bitch.

I was surprised he was only 69. To be honest I thought he was 69 when he made Off the Track. I guess it was the style that gave me that impression. He was a one of a kind and his music will live on.

Back