Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t listened to this one for a long time until today.

This is the one from the Ultimate Collectors’ Edition which is going for crazy prices on Discogs. Not that I ever intend to sell my music library, but according to Discogs this is the most expensive music set I own.

A shame we never got more than one album with this lineup.

600x600bb.jpg

Last edited:
Re Manifesto above agree more commercial but do not place it in top tier of Roxy albums. Agree it has a great cover. At the time bought a single that had an alternate slow version of Trash. I may have picked up an illustrated vinyl version too.

Sometime in the early 90s I was browsing through CDs at a store and came across Ozric Tentacles. Just based on the name and album art I figured it wasn’t a band for me, even though I had no idea what the music was like.

Some years later I heard this CD (can’t even remember where) and loved it. So of course I had to go back and buy the earlier stuff including the albums I initially dismissed. Spirals... is still my favorite, though. Been going through the whole catalog again recently.

I would love to hear Ozric music in surround.

600x600bb.jpg

At first I wondered when I bought this if I’d get bored with pretty-much the same show across all the discs. But I found them all equally enjoyable. So glad I bought this when it came out. Hope they do something similar again at some point.
I've ripped the discs to my media server, have had all 7 gigs playing in sequence for the past couple days :)

It would be *very* cool if they found the earlier Bruford multitrack tour shows & released them in the same format

Sometime in the early 90s I was browsing through CDs at a store and came across Ozric Tentacles. Just based on the name and album art I figured it wasn’t a band for me, even though I had no idea what the music was like.

Some years later I heard this CD (can’t even remember where) and loved it. So of course I had to go back and buy the earlier stuff including the albums I initially dismissed. Spirals... is still my favorite, though. Been going through the whole catalog again recently.

I would love to hear Ozric music in surround.

600x600bb.jpg
I saw them as a Saturday closer at the late lamented NEARfest. They played well, but Ed was really wanting to cut the show short. It was in support of this album. A lot of their stuff sounds alike, but I like the Ozrics. They wrote SO MUCH material in their first few years, they didn't really need to write any new material for years and years.

I saw them as a Saturday closer at the late lamented NEARfest. They played well, but Ed was really wanting to cut the show short. It was in support of this album. A lot of their stuff sounds alike, but I like the Ozrics. They wrote SO MUCH material in their first few years, they didn't really need to write any new material for years and years.
I would agree that a lot of their albums sounds the same. And, probably not surprisingly, Ed’s solo material sounds a lot (to me) like an Ozrics album. I still like them, but I haven’t bought the last couple of albums. I’m content with the 20+ albums I have. Newer stuff will always get a listen, but via streaming.

View attachment 88619
I am certainly not an expert in regards to The Dregs, but this would by my favorite album of theirs, that I have heard. Man that title tracks!!

Picked this baby up for $1. Sounds a lot better than it looks after a good cleaning.
Steve Morse falls into the “Jack of all trades, master of... all of them” category. (Rik Emmett of Triumph is another guy who just seems to be able to play anything on the guitar.)

The first time I heard Steve was on his solo album, The Introduction. Still a great listen. Had some Dregs CDs at one time, but got misplaced in one of many moves over the years.

I would agree that a lot of their albums sounds the same. And, probably not surprisingly, Ed’s solo material sounds a lot (to me) like an Ozrics album. I still like them, but I haven’t bought the last couple of albums. I’m content with the 20+ albums I have. Newer stuff will always get a listen, but via streaming.
I'm right there with you. I don't own their early cassette only releases. They recently released those on vinyl. I may pick up a few of those. But I have Pungent Effulgent, Erpland, Arboresence and the one you posted above. And the live on on vinyl (can't remenber the name of it). Now just becausr I said a lot sounds alike. I still enjoy their music. And they are a prog band that the girlfriend actually likes.

Back