Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
China Crisis / Flaunt The Imperfection (1985) Produced by "Walter Becker", this was my first introduction to this band since then I've purchased everything I could get my hands on. This is the remastered 2 CD set is stunning and combined with the SM3 sounds AMAZING resulting in multiple eargasms!!! For your listening pleasure:

View attachment 102429

One of my favorite albums by one of my absolute favorite bands. 🥰

The CD I like best is the SHOUT factory disc from 2005. Herb gave the label access to all of the TJB masters to produce a "Herb Alpert Signature Series" collection of remastered discs. They ended up releasing all of the TJB albums (including the spectacular Christmas album) and Rise, Herb's biggest selling solo record. I bought Whipped Cream and Other Delights first and liked it so much I ended up buying all 12 discs in the series. IMO, the mastering is clean and flat with natural dynamic range. There is definitely no noise reduction being applied. The masterings may lean a tad bit on the bright side to some ears, but I am old so I am very comfortable with the sonics. If you'r looking for unfutzed with sound, then look no further.

Herb Alpert (front).jpg

Herb Alpert (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a not particularly well known, but terrific disc from 1995... P. Hux (aka Parthenon Huxley) heading up a tight little three-piece unit for an album called, "Deluxe". This thing is a delight from beginning to end and once you hear it, you'll want to hear it again. See if you can identify the lift in "Playing Her Guitar." Good stuff!

P. Hux (front).jpg

P. Hux (back).jpg

If the only thing you know about Rupert Holmes is the Top 40 hit "Escape (The Pinã Colada Song)" then you probably never heard his incredible debut album from 1974, WIDESCREEN. IMO, this is one of the most amazing and impressive first albums to ever come down the pike. Armed with a full orchestra and fantastic session players, Holmes plays the studio like no one else. Featuring brilliant pop songs, impeccably orchestrated, they don't make them like this anymore...in fact, they didn't make them like this in 1974, either. But, somehow, Rupert Holmes talked Epic Records into letting him do it. Legend has it that Epic desperately wanted to release "Talk" as a single, so they gave him the keys to the kingdom, so to speak. I never tire of spinning this awesome record and can just image how fantastic an Atmos mix of it would sound!

Widescreen (front).jpg

Widescreen (back).jpg

Various Artists / Complete Pop Instrumental Hits Of The Sixties, Vol.1 - From 1955-1965 Back in the day we had radio and 45's. My turntable had a tone arm that was quite heavy and the stylus was a glorified nail. Pretty much all the early rock was in mono. It wasn't till the late sixties before a stereo setup was a little more accessible as well as stereo records. However there were not a lot of 55-65 stereo oldies available yet. In the 80's and 90's more and more oldies became available and I was blown away as to how great the stereo versions sounded. I could never have imagined that I could possibly have any kind of an immersive experience with these beloved oldies. Now since I've been listening to this music through the SM3 I've been astonished by how amazing they sound!!! I've been having such a blast experiencing this music through the SM3 that oldies is mostly what I've been listening to. Here's a few from another great Eric Records release. For your listening pleasure:

"(The Theme From) A Summer Place" / Percy Faith
View attachment 102656
"The Madison Time (Part 1)" / Ray Bryant
View attachment 102657
"Look For A Star" / Billy Vaughn
View attachment 102658
"(Theme From) Adventures In Paradise" / Jerry Byrd
View attachment 102659
"Gonzo" / James Booker (mono) One of my favorites, played the 45 so much it started turning white.
View attachment 102660
"Perfidia" The Ventures
View attachment 102661
View attachment 102662
View attachment 102663
That’s an amazing collection! I have almost all of the selections, but, damn, all that in one case,

Various Artists / Complete Pop Instrumental Hits Of The Sixties, Vol.1 - From 1955-1965 Back in the day we had radio and 45's. My turntable had a tone arm that was quite heavy and the stylus was a glorified nail. Pretty much all the early rock was in mono. It wasn't till the late sixties before a stereo setup was a little more accessible as well as stereo records. However there were not a lot of 55-65 stereo oldies available yet. In the 80's and 90's more and more oldies became available and I was blown away as to how great the stereo versions sounded. I could never have imagined that I could possibly have any kind of an immersive experience with these beloved oldies. Now since I've been listening to this music through the SM3 I've been astonished by how amazing they sound!!! I've been having such a blast experiencing this music through the SM3 that oldies is mostly what I've been listening to. Here's a few from another great Eric Records release. For your listening pleasure:

"(The Theme From) A Summer Place" / Percy Faith
View attachment 102656
"The Madison Time (Part 1)" / Ray Bryant
View attachment 102657
"Look For A Star" / Billy Vaughn
View attachment 102658
"(Theme From) Adventures In Paradise" / Jerry Byrd
View attachment 102659
"Gonzo" / James Booker (mono) One of my favorites, played the 45 so much it started turning white.
View attachment 102660
"Perfidia" The Ventures
View attachment 102661
View attachment 102662
View attachment 102663
Very cool DLJ. I see it says "Volume 1 , 1960"

Does that mean there was one for every year in the decade, and if so, do you have the others?

Edit: should have checked Amazon before I posted. I see one for 60, 61, 62 so there were at least 3.

Next Time You See Me - Michael Bloomfield

Mercy Maybe Mercy - Don Ellis
from 2nd version of LP only
Koch CD has all tracks from both versions

https://www.discogs.com/master/201851-Don-Ellis-Shock-Treatment

Red Cross Store- Mississippi Fred McDowell

Goodbye - Mary Hopkin
from Ed Sullivan Show
Written & Produced by Macca

Mary Hopkin POST CARD [Apple Records] Produced by none other than Paul McCartney, the album reached #3 on the UK pop charts. Absolutely gorgeous...and haunting! Contains the chart topping 'THOSE WERE THE DAYS!'

When Mary Hopkin Sent A 'Post Card' Via Paul McCartney | uDiscover

Mary Hopkin POST CARD [Apple Records] Produced by none other than Paul McCartney, the album reached #3 on the UK pop charts. Absolutely gorgeous...and haunting! Contains the chart topping 'THOSE WERE THE DAYS!'

When Mary Hopkin Sent A 'Post Card' Via Paul McCartney | uDiscover'Post Card' Via Paul McCartney | uDiscover
We had a show on TV (on the only commercial ITV channel then, not the BBC) called Opportunity Knocks a new talent show/competition, and as a family we used to watch it on a Saturday evening (?). I remember Mary on it, and her winning - I think you had to phone in to vote for an artist. I can still 'sing' her hit Those Were The Days in my head (Wiki says from 1968). Blimey, I am getting old!

Between 1974 and 1976, Brian Protheroe released three albums on Chrysalis Records before moving out of music turning to acting. Here are some highlights from his first album, Pinball, including the awesome title track and his incredible harmonic throwback, "The Moon Over Malibu."

Brian Protheroe (front).jpg

Brian Protheroe (back).jpg

Back