Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chromeo have long been a favourite of mine - I saw them for the first time back in 2007 at Koko in Camden Town - and this is a really nice, immersive mix with some great discrete activity. Most interestingly, it appears they've gone back and re-done the Atmos mixes for the three songs that were released as singles ahead of the album (Replacements, Words With You, (I Don't Need) A New Girl)) and made them significantly more interesting from a surround POV than the original mixes.

Only time will tell how well this ages for me musically, but it seems much stronger than their last couple of efforts, though I would've liked to have heard more talkbox vocals, which were a signature part of their earlier (and best) work.
I like Chromeo too and their work has always sounded good to me. I wonder if maybe they want to get away from the treated vocals which may have been something of a crutch early on to cover for perceived deficiencies as singers, sort of like the Strokes first album and Julian Casablancas getting more confidence in his real voice vocals as time went on.

Don't know if it's new or not but it's the first time I've noticed an Atmos title on tidal in both 360 Reality Audio and Dolby Atmos formats.

A very good thing as far as I'm concerned since playing stuff discretely in 360 has historically had so many hoops to jump through.

Add to that for me, I hear more disturbing lossy artifacts and other oddities in 360 encodes vs Atmos encodes in general. Possibly due to the mixes being converted from one format to another. Hard to tell of course since it's rare to impossible sometimes to determine the Provence of a lot of these mixes.

Comparing these my thoughts are only confirmed.

I'm not sure I've ever seen discussion where a mix has been confirmed to have been done separately in both formats where any kind of real apples to apples comparisons could be made. I'd suspect that would be very rare indeed since what label or anyone else would pay for such a thing to be done.

Last edited:
I’d buy this on disc if made available. Such an eclectic album, great Atmos mix. Thanks for pointing me to this new-to-me discovery.
It is truly a remarkable release
It was actually Adam who highlighted it first. And Hump added some info too.

I agree, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it ever found it's way onto a physical release.

It's rare to have an album where the anticipation in listening to the next track is quite simply wonderful 😊

It is truly a remarkable release
It was actually Adam who highlighted it first. And Hump added some info too.

I agree, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it ever found it's way onto a physical release.

It's rare to have an album where the anticipation in listening to the next track is quite simply wonderful 😊
Ok then thanks @fredblue and @humprof too! Another rabbit hole to explore.

Ok then thanks @fredblue and @humprof too! Another rabbit hole to explore.
If this is your first exposure to Collier, it's really worth going back and tracking down the YouTube videos he produced as a teenager. I especially love "I Saw Three Ships" and "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing"; YMMV. (There are a couple dozen to choose from.) You'd think that, because of how they were put together, all of his juvenilia would be ripe for Atmos remixes, complete with videos. He's also done a bunch of "Logic Session Breakdown" videos showing that he's clearly got the know-how and the mixing chops.

Last edited:
np joel ross - nublues

nice album
this barely counts as an atmos mix though
nothing in surround or center channels unless you stick your ear to the speaker, and even then its extremely quiet lol

Back