Logic Pro DVD-A question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
When burning a DVD-A in Logic using 2 96KHz stereo files (Front and rear),
Logic states that it has downsample from 96 to 48 to burn the disc.
Well, it went ahead and "downsampled" it,
burned the disc, but , here's the incognita:

The files were 1.66 GB each at 96K (x 2 =3.32 GB) .

The AUDIO folder on the burned disc displays these
ATS_01_0.BUP 4KB
ATS_01_0.IFO 4KB
ATS_01_1.AOB 3.88 GB
AUDIO_PP.IFO 128 KB
AUDIO_TS.BUP 6 KB
AUDIO_TS.IFO 6KB
(The VIDEO folder is empty)

There is no way,that I know of, to find out the real sampling freq of the files on the burned DVD.(Ed.: You learn something new everyday-see below)

My question is;
If it had really downsampled the files ,
Wouldn't it be HALF the size(or so) of the files, about 1.8 GB in the AOB file?

Neil probably knows the answer to this... ;=)

Last edited:
There is no way,that I know of, to find out the real sampling freq of the files on the burned DVD.

Try DVD-A Explorer. Yeah I would think the files should be smaller. And shouldn't they actually be smaller than half the size? If you are using MLP?

Try DVD-A Explorer. Yeah I would think the files should be smaller. And shouldn't they actually be smaller than half the size? If you are using MLP?

Hey Key, thanks for your solution! (I had to install it in my PC)

It looks as though Logic Pro actually burns 96/24 PCM DVD-A's...pleasant surprise....

But I don't get the "Copy Control at 48/16" thing in there...

Any other thoughts?

Here is the screen grab:
http://rapidshare.com/files/216850904/Thrust_DVDA.jpg

Last edited:
Copy COntrol 48/16 is part of the CPPM CCI (Copy Control Information) bit.
This can be set to the following options - Copying Not Restricted, No Copying at all, or Copying with restrictions. If you elect for the latter, the restrictions sort of vary from application to application (Chrome 2 for example gives you "2Ch, 16/48, 2ch, Not Restricted, and Sonic's DAC gives you 2Ch, CD Quality Type 1 , 2Ch CD Quality Type 3, Multi CD Quality, 2ch 192kbps, multi 448kbps)
Also - at 3.88Gb, that is not MLP but PCM - Logic does not have an MLP Encoder built in as far as I know. 24/96 in Quad will - just - fit in the required bitrate for DVDA (9.6Mbps).

I've yet to actually author a DVD-A - at least I can't remember doing one. Could you use that free MLP encoder in conjunction with Logic? Or would logic just not recognize the MLP? I have no idea what the workflow is with logic and DVD-As just taking blind stabs in the dark.

I've yet to actually author a DVD-A - at least I can't remember doing one. Could you use that free MLP encoder in conjunction with Logic? Or would logic just not recognize the MLP? I have no idea what the workflow is with logic and DVD-As just taking blind stabs in the dark.

What free MLP Encoder?
There is no such thing.

Eh oops. Must've been thinking of the free decoder.

Eh oops. Must've been thinking of the free decoder.

Again - what free decoder?
AFAIK (And I may well be wrong, not owning Logic) the only MLP Decoder you can get (apart from the obvious ones, like SurCode, Meridian Audio & Dolby Media Tools) is the one built into DVDAudio Explorer.
What am I missing?

Edit - brainstorm.
Are you talking about ripping tracks from discs using DVDA Explorer & rewriting your own discs through Logic?
I can think of a couple of gotchas.
1 - 5.1 at 24/96 will require MLP Encoding. (Quad at 24/96 is fine).
2 - Watermarks (where present). Unless your player is one that doesn't honour the mark then playback will stop when the player hits the first watermark.
It has to be worth a try though - you may be onto something.

Yeah, I was talking about the public domain one they use for DVD-A Explorer. I may have been thinking of some Blu-Ray thing actually. I think I saw someone say that there is a free DOlby HD encoder in the works. Maybe a hack and therefore illegal? God don't listen to anything I have to say haha because I can't remember.

Well as far as ripping and re-encoding the watermark seems to be what will get you. I don't think you have to decode the MLP from the original disc so that wouldn't be an issue. I have only ripped DVD-As to my Hard Drive for playback in foobar2000.

Back