Long overdue hello, Pioneer qx 949A info needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbark

Hi Everyone, I consider myself a quad fanatic and this membership is long overdue. I have been reading about and collecting quad equipment for over40 years.. In my rack I now have the following Technics sx 8000, Sansui 5500 A, pioneer 949 (not A), Teac quad reel to reel, An akai q8 four channel deck, Toyo quad 8 track player,all playing trough a Yamaha 665 home theater receiver direct 5 channel inputs and analog stereo inputs. So , I have sq, qs advanced vario matrix, discreet 8 track and tape , all Dolby types, digital Hd, Blu-ray. I'm still searching for a decent sq full logic matching yata yata unit such as Lafayette Sq-w, Lafayette lr 74, 4000 or 5000, Sony ( my holy grail). I will never find a Tate lol. I was wondering about the full logic in the Pioneer 949A?. Well gang I'm glad I'm here, if you think I'm missing something I'd like to know? Any comments appreciated. Happy New Year! Marc;)

Hi Everyone, I consider myself a quad fanatic and this membership is long overdue. I have been reading about and collecting quad equipment for over40 years.. In my rack I now have the following Technics sx 8000, Sansui 5500 A, pioneer 949 (not A), Teac quad reel to reel, An akai q8 four channel deck, Toyo quad 8 track player,all playing trough a Yamaha 665 home theater receiver direct 5 channel inputs and analog stereo inputs. So , I have sq, qs advanced vario matrix, discreet 8 track and tape , all Dolby types, digital Hd, Blu-ray. I'm still searching for a decent sq full logic matching yata yata unit such as Lafayette Sq-w, Lafayette lr 74, 4000 or 5000, Sony ( my holy grail). I will never find a Tate lol. I was wondering about the full logic in the Pioneer 949A?. Well gang I'm glad I'm here, if you think I'm missing something I'd like to know? Any comments appreciated. Happy New Year! Marc;)

Well, you are at the correct forum. We all are overboard with this stuff keeping it alive.

Welcome markbark! I have never personally listened to a Pioneer 949A but accoding to most accounts of it's decoding abilities, it's nothing to write home about and most other brands full logic offerings beat it. It's still an amazing receiver, just not good for matrix decoding. Happy New year to you!!

Hey Markbark! Welcome. I've had a Pioneer QX-949 since it was new back in the 70's. It does not have the full logic decoder that the 949A supposedly has. The decoders in the 949 are not great. The Pioneer has always been a reliable amp for just powering my discrete 4 channel components like quad reels and quad 8 tracks, but I gave up long ago on the internal decoders. I actually posted the same inquiry about the 949A awhile back wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the decoder and could confirm how well it does at decoding, but I did not hear from anyone who actually has ever owned one. Obviously, the Sansui X001 series of decoders (7001, 8001, 9001) are well known for their great decoders. Finding a Sansui for a decent price in operational condition is another challenge however. Good luck in your searches and welcome again to the forum.

i have one but to tell you the truth I've never tried to play quad records thru it. It occurs to me maybe its time I did as I have a bunch of quad lps too! Might have to get back to ya....

ken

Back