Lord Of The Rings (London Cast Recording) CD/5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattB2

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Does anyone know anything about this CD/DVD release?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202499220&sr=1-1

I was surprised to see from the packaging that the DVD is a DVD-A with a surround mix. I haven't seen the show so I've no idea what the music is like or if it suits itself to an involving surround mix rather than just stage at the front and ambiance in the rears. Might take a risk tomorrow.

Does it say DVD-A on the back (I take it you've seen the actual product)? Can't tell from the Amazon entry.

It says CD plus DVD Audio in small print on the back (but from past experience DVD Audio can mean an audio DVD). I'll probably take a chance on the disc tomorrow and report back if it's anything to get excited about.

Yes, please let us know. If it's real, it would be great if you could scan it and post the details (Label, number, etc) so I can add it to the QQ DVD-A list.

Well, it turns out to be good news/bad news.

The good news is that the DVD is a surround disc with (on a quick listen) some discrete use of the rears (although it's main focus is on the front three channels).

The bad news is that despite being described on the packaging as a "DVD A" it is in fact an audio DVD with a Dolby 5.1 mix (and pictures).

The music's not bad (new age coupled with folk) and is better than some of the reviews led me to believe; so much so that I'm now tempted to go see the show. The packaging is excellent and is a fine souvenir of the show.

Overall, initial impressions are a "7" (an "8" if it had been a real DVD-A).

Jon, I'll scan the covers and provide details tomorrow.

Jon, cover scans attached as requested. The disc number is "LOTR 1001".

I guess this should now be moved to the DD Surround section. (y)

Attachments

• LotR F.jpg
    LotR F.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 140
  • LotR B.jpg
    LotR B.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 148
Who authored the disc?
It is so misleading calling a DVD-Video disc "DVD A", as it blatantly isn't any such thing.

Who authored the disc?
It is so misleading calling a DVD-Video disc "DVD A", as it blatantly isn't any such thing.

Recoded at Air Studios and Angel Studios

Mixed at A.M. Studios, Chennai, India

Mastered by Andrew Walters at Abbey Road

Authored at The Pavement Studios

Shame it wasn't done by yourself via Yash Raj.

Very Misleading indeed!

Had it not been for a forum of this genre, I would have certainly tracked this down only to be disappointed once again.:mad:

Back