Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Obscure

QQ Supporter
This thread is a spinoff and an outgrowth of "Listening now to this stereo/mono CD." Some of us inadvertently hijacked that thread with our classic '60s blathering, so now, we have our own dedicated space where we can pontificate our little hearts out about the greatest era in rock music.

Up first, I humbly submit Spanky & Our Gang's 1968 dazzler, Without Rhyme Or Reason B/W Anything You Choose. Released at the peak of the psychedelic craze when things like "concept" albums were all the rage, Spanky and company stepped into the ring with this off the wall, self produced, amazing sound quilt. What started out as a public service announcement ("Give A Damn") blossomed into a full-blown, shimmering sonic blast! This album is a treat from start to finish. If you've got 'em, put on your "Leopard Skin Phones" and dive right in!

Spanky & Our Gang (front).jpg
Spanky & Our Gang (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is a spinoff and an outgrowth of "Listening now to this stereo/mono CD." Some of us inadvertently hijacked that thread with our classic '60s blathering, so now, we have our own dedicated space where we can pontificate our little hearts out about the greatest era in rock music.

Up first, I humbly submit Spanky & Our Gang's 1968 dazzler, Without Rhyme Or Reason B/W Anything You Choose. Released at the peak of the psychedelic craze when things like "concept" albums were all the rage, Spanky and company stepped into the ring with this off the wall, self produced, amazing sound quilt. What started out as a public service announcement ("Give A Damn") blossomed into a full-blown, shimmering sonic blast! This album is a treat from start to finish. If you've got 'em, put on your "Leopard Skin Phones" and dive right in!

View attachment 101657View attachment 101658

Spanky & Our Gang - 1-3-5-8 (Pedagogal Round #2) - Jane - Since You've Gone (medley) - 1968
View attachment 101659

Spanky & Our Gang - Give A Damn - 1968
View attachment 101660
That song 1-3-5-8…I challenge anyone to remix that into quad especially the beginning. DeMIX Pro backing vocal extraction algorithm would probably explode.

Spanky and Our Gang were mainly known for their few formulaic pop hits. Who would have thunk that they did anything like this?

I need to see if I can find this CD.

That song 1-3-5-8…I challenge anyone to remix that into quad especially the beginning. DeMIX Pro backing vocal extraction algorithm would probably explode.

Spanky and Our Gang were mainly known for their few formulaic pop hits. Who would have thunk that they did anything like this?

I need to see if I can find this CD.
There is a terrific (but now, sadly, OOP) Hip-O Select collection from 2006 with excellently remastered versions of their entire Mercury Records output, albeit there is one caveat. The CD incorrectly places side two of the album before side one. Per the Japan import pictured above, the album's lead track is "Leopard Skin Phones" and side two should kick off with "Anything You Choose." Early on, there is a spoken word track, "But Back Then," that is referenced again later in the album. By placing side two before side one in listening order, this linking element makes no sense. Otherwise, the collection is authoritative in all respects and a thing of beauty. Plus, it is the only place where you can find the original vinyl version of Spanky's Greatest Hit(s). The original vinyl includes special remixes and extended versions produced by the band exclusively for the greatest hits comp. The common CD version (although it boasts the same cover) is a completely different version with just the original 45 versions of the hit singles. It's good, mind you, but it ain't the real thing.

Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 10.59.30 AM.png

(Turn On) The Music Machine was an album unlike any other in 1966. Their garage rock, proto-punk style was totally new and different. And, today, the Music Machine is regarded as a pioneering force that helped pave the way for the numerous punks and garage psych acts that followed. I don't know for sure if they were the first, but they were definitely the first for me. "Talk Talk" (their first single) was a breakout hit and a legitimate Top 20 radio record. The album that followed was equally compelling, albeit marred by label interference insisting that several covers be included in the track list. The Sean Bonniwell originals, however, are all pretty much classics. My advice is to skip the covers and dig the originals. Some great, great '60s tunes here!

The Music Machine (front).jpg

The Music Machine (back).jpg

When I saw the Litter, I knew it would be Doug!

Here are a few earworms of mine from that far off land of the sixties:

I have Spanky's Greatest on CD. IMHO, this should have been a hit

Orpheus, you say? Brown Arms has haunted me since I first heard it.

Peanut Butter Conspiracy is after you:

C'Mon Home - Buckinghams really?
still have my Columbia 7 1/2 ips reel

In spite of what I wrote above, :D I really liked Spanky, The Buckinghams, and many other groups in the sixties. I really wasn't...you know... quite so one-dimensional.

Hmm, a peanut butter sandwich sounds kind of good.

"I like peanut butter, creamy peanut butter, crunchy peanut butter, too...la la la...

Doug

Since Orpheus has weaseled its way into the conversation, let's talk about them. Orpheus was one of the quintessential groups tied to the infamous BOSSTOWN (aka Boston) SOUND. Out of the twenty some bands marketed under the loopy handle, Orpheus, Ultimate Spinach, and to a lesser degree, Beacon Street Union, are the only ones to have any kind of chart success. "Can't Find The Time To Tell You" was a legit hit single and IIRC, Orpheus wound up being the last man standing when the hype train ran off the rails. Their first album released simultaneously with the Ultimate Spinach debut album. Pretty sure Spinach was the more successful LP, but Orpheus had the hit single. Take a look at the back cover of the Orpheus album and check out the never corrected typo. The album contains ten tracks, but because there are TWO NUMBER FOURS, it looks as though the record only has nine songs. Pretty snazzy! :cool:

Orpheus (front).jpg

Orpheus (back).jpg

View attachment 101657View attachment 101658

Spanky & Our Gang - 1-3-5-8 (Pedagogal Round #2) - Jane - Since You've Gone (medley) - 1968
View attachment 101659

Spanky & Our Gang - Give A Damn - 1968
View attachment 101660
I blew out several pair of leopard skin phones on this one!

(Turn On) The Music Machine was an album unlike any other in 1966. Their garage rock, proto-punk style was totally new and different. And, today, the Music Machine is regarded as a pioneering force that helped pave the way for the numerous punks and garage psych acts that followed. I don't know for sure if they were the first, but they were definitely the first for me. "Talk Talk" (their first single) was a breakout hit and a legitimate Top 20 radio record. The album that followed was equally compelling, albeit marred by label interference insisting that several covers be included in the track list. The Sean Bonniwell originals, however, are all pretty much classics. My advice is to skip the covers and dig the originals. Some great, great '60s tunes here!

View attachment 101676
View attachment 101677

The Music Machine - Talk Talk (1966)
View attachment 101678

The Music Machine - Trouble (1966)
View attachment 101679

The Music Machine - Wrong (1966)
View attachment 101680

The Music Machine - Come On In (1966)
View attachment 101681
I saw Sean Bonniwell live in Tuscon late in 1967 (I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca) .He had other musicians with him, although the gig was credited as “The Music Machine.” I had the chance to talk with nim briefly after the show, and it was pretty clear he wasn’t happy with the record company.

There is a terrific (but now, sadly, OOP) Hip-O Select collection from 2006 with excellently remastered versions of their entire Mercury Records output, albeit there is one caveat. The CD incorrectly places side two of the album before side one. Per the Japan import pictured above, the album's lead track is "Leopard Skin Phones" and side two should kick off with "Anything You Choose." Early on, there is a spoken word track, "But Back Then," that is referenced again later in the album. By placing side two before side one in listening order, this linking element makes no sense. Otherwise, the collection is authoritative in all respects and a thing of beauty. Plus, it is the only place where you can find the original vinyl version of Spanky's Greatest Hit(s). The original vinyl includes special remixes and extended versions produced by the band exclusively for the greatest hits comp. The common CD version (although it boasts the same cover) is a completely different version with just the original 45 versions of the hit singles. It's good, mind you, but it ain't the real thing.

View attachment 101662
The running order confusion stems from on the original "Anything You Choose -Without Rhyme Or Reason" vinyl album, the side that starts with "Leopard Skin Phones" is designated "Side 1". The side that starts with "Anything You Choose" is designated "Side A". It was a bit of a joke to play off the title of the album.

Cheap Trick did the same thing on their first album.

Back