Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spirit...self titled debut from 1968. No need to say more. Enjoy!

Spirit (front).jpg

Spirit (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
About the quality of the film "The Sixties". What I got from your comments was that you didn't think much of it.
Well I saw it when it aired and thought enough of it to buy on dvd, so that says something.
As movies go it was a made for TV docudrama that was designed to evoke nostalgia in viewers that was pretty much eye candy for baby boomers (of which I am one). There is a reason it isn’t well remembered as far as movies go. It was somewhat formulaic. Give the people what they want…eye candy…irresistible.

I did mention the music but that is pretty much a given with any 60s themed movie so I’m not sure what you wanted to hear.

Finally, I remembered that they employed the same technique as Forrest Gump by putting the characters in historical scenes and interspersing historical footage into those scenes.

BTW I did watch the first half last night. It’s how I remember it.

Well I saw it when it aired and thought enough of it to buy on dvd, so that says something.
As movies go it was a made for TV docudrama that was designed to evoke nostalgia in viewers that was pretty much eye candy for baby boomers (of which I am one). There is a reason it isn’t well remembered as far as movies go. It was somewhat formulaic. Give the people what they want…eye candy…irresistible.

I did mention the music but that is pretty much a given with any 60s themed movie so I’m not sure what you wanted to hear.

Finally, I remembered that they employed the same technique as Forrest Gump by putting the characters in historical scenes and interspersing historical footage into those scenes.

BTW I did watch the first half last night. It’s how I remember it.
Yea, as with everything, "it's great if you like that sort of thing and not so great if you don't". I absolutely respect your opinion. So Bill, are we good?

Yea, as with everything, "it's great if you like that sort of thing and not so great if you don't". I absolutely respect your opinion. So Bill, are we good?
For sure. We’re just comparing notes on a particular movie. It’s not like it’s anything important on the grand scheme of things.

Now if you were going to say something disparaging about Rush, well, those are fightin’ words. 😃

Another Minnesota band with their decidedly "hard" version of "Hey Joe". My friend, who lived right across the street, and I both had this record and would play it on our families' consoles at the same time and see who could play it louder. We had the better console and so...

Doug

Last edited:
Another Minnesota band with their decidedly "hard" version of "Hay Joe". My friend, who lived right across the street, and I both had this record and would play it on our families' consoles at the same time and see who could play it louder. We had the better console and so...

Doug

Consoles were the bomb back in the day. My dad had a Zenith console. That was my very first interaction with vinyl back in the late 60's. Dad's vinyl, but still. I was my Dad's DJ. He would always ask me (I remember this) to play records for him. I loved it.

Without question, one of the finest and most influential debut albums to come out of the mid-Sixties is Laura Nyro's, 1966 classic, More Than A New Discovery. Originally signed to the Verve Folk label, after this startling debut, Columbia Records quickly snatched her up. As good as her early Columbia albums are (and they sure are!) there is an extra bit of magic at play here. The laundry list of brilliant songs on display is dazzling and downright staggering. Classic in every sense of the word and beautifully produced, too. Rev-Ola's stunning 2008 remaster is easily the best way to experience this fantastic album on disc. More Than A New Discovery...Indeed!

More Than A New Discovery (front).jpg

More Than A New Discovery (back).jpg

Without question, one of the finest and most influential debut albums to come out of the mid-Sixties is Laura Nyro's, 1966 classic, More Than A New Discovery. Originally signed to the Verve Folk label, after this startling debut, Columbia Records quickly snatched her up. As good as her early Columbia albums are (and they sure are!) there is an extra bit of magic at play here. The laundry list of brilliant songs on display is dazzling and downright staggering. Classic in every sense of the word and beautifully produced, too. Rev-Ola's stunning 2008 remaster is easily the best way to experience this fantastic album on disc. More Than A New Discovery...Indeed!

View attachment 102134
View attachment 102135

Laura Nyro - And When I Die (1966)
View attachment 102136

Laura Nyro - Blowin' Away (1966)
View attachment 102137

Laura Nyro - Billiy's Blues (1968)
View attachment 102138

Laura Nyro - Wedding Bell Blues (1966)
View attachment 102139

Laura Nyro - Stoney End (1966)
View attachment 102140

I appreciate your efforts to point out when a particular disc sounds excellent.

Was lucky enough to catch Laura Nyro twice live.
Huge Spirit fan, met Randy & Ed

Mother Popcorn - James Brown

Leave the Driving to Us (from Wozard of Iz, an Electronic Odyssey) - Mort Garson

You Don't Realize - Electric Flag feat Mike Bloomfield Buddy Miles
bought 1st press 2 Ch LP, later press 2ch LP, mono LP (promo only), US CD, Japan BS2 CD (sounds same as US CD, but a smidge brighter) in my 10 fave albums

Tiger by the Tail - Buck Owens & the Buckaroos

I appreciate your efforts to point out when a particular disc sounds excellent.
No sweat. It's really hard to tell what these masterings actually sound like by the time they get downgraded to MP3 file size or YouTube videos and then posted here. There are way too many variables. IMO, they do serve a valuable purpose, though. I think of these links as sample demos. If they turn you on to an artist or an album and it makes you want to add it to your music library, you will seek out the real thing and purchase it.

Sublime. Impeccable. Indelible. Just some of the words that come to mind when discussing the music of Bobbie Gentry. Many of you know the story of how some savvy members of the Capitol Records A&R team flipped over the original plug side of her first single, "Mississippi Delta," and instead promoted its B-side, "Ode To Billie Joe," and how as a result, a musical legend was born. Fiercely independent from the start, her albums were highly personal affairs with intimate melodies, intriguing lyrics, and sultry vocals. For lack of a better term, she was a singer songwriter's, singer songwriter. Her debut album, Ode To Billie Joe, and its enigmatic title track single, both went to number one on the charts. The rest of the album is no slouch, either. BTW, if you can find it and can afford it, the absolute best way to experience Bobbie Gentry's catalog is on the career-spanning 8-disc deluxe box set, The Girl From Chickasaw County. Here's a taste of her first album from the box set.

Bobbie Gentry (front).jpg

Bobbie Gentry (back).jpg

Sublime. Impeccable. Indelible. Just some of the words that come to mind when discussing the music of Bobbie Gentry. Many of you know the story of how some savvy members of the Capitol Records A&R team flipped over the original plug side of her first single, "Mississippi Delta," and instead promoted its B-side, "Ode To Billie Joe," and how as a result, a musical legend was born. Fiercely independent from the start, her albums were highly personal affairs with intimate melodies, intriguing lyrics, and sultry vocals. For lack of a better term, she was a singer songwriter's, singer songwriter. Her debut album, Ode To Billie Joe, and its enigmatic title track single, both went to number one on the charts. The rest of the album is no slouch, either. BTW, if you can find it and can afford it, the absolute best way to experience Bobbie Gentry's catalog is on the career-spanning 8-disc deluxe box set, The Girl From Chickasaw County. Here's a taste of her first album from the box set.

View attachment 102174
View attachment 102175

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe (1967)
View attachment 102176

Bobbie Gentry - Papa, Won't You Let Me Go To Town With You (1967)
View attachment 102177

Bobbie Gentry - Hurry, Tuesday Child (1967)
View attachment 102178

Bobbie Gentry - Mississippi Delta (1967)
View attachment 102179
LOVE Bobbie Gentry but am opting instead to purchase the available 2 disc compilation from this box set

https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Chickas...=music&sprefix=bobby+gentry,popular,82&sr=1-1

There you go. Perfect! This was not an option when I bought the box, but, it was also long before the box went out of print and I managed to snag it on sale. Since it clearly states that the comp is taken from the same 2018 box set mastering, I'm sure it will sound fantastic. You won't be disappointed!

No intelligent life here, Captain.
"Twinkle, twinkle, little Earth, how I wonder what you're worth" -- actual lyrics on the album!
I sent a tape of this to a friend in Edinburgh, Scotland, who greatly annoyed the local SF book shop (where one of the cashiers was a member of The Human League) by playing it over the speakers. I must have forgotten the prime directive, sigh.

Last edited:
Back