Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many great memories!

Samba Blim - Tamba 4
Bossa Nova!

Fat City - Sons of Champlin 1967
Two years before Loosen Up Naturally,Sons recorded this single

Rainy Windows - Bonnie Dobson
Canadian folk singer who penned Morning Dew

Omaha - Moby Grape
of over 20,000 albums, Moby Grape's 1st would be the ONE I'd take on an island

Fred Neil and Vince Martin recorded a cover version of “Morning Dew” using different changes. Tim Rose then did a cover using Neil and Martin’s changes. Rose then claimed partial credit for writing the song, a credit for which he had no proof(in fact, he and Dobson had never met). The Jeff Beck Group, with Rod Stewart on vocals, did their own cover version based on Tim Rose’s version, and they assigned writing credit to Rose.

IMHO, the Jeff Beck Group version is stellar, though I may be biased given that the first time I heard ever it was with them playing it live. Also, it’s hard to go wrong when you have Rod Stewart being backed by Jeff Beck on guitar and Ron Wood on bass!

Last edited:
So, how do you follow up a wildly successful, #1 smash hit single like, "Incense And Peppermints?" The short answer is, you don't. However, Strawberry Alarm Clock certainly gave it the old college try with their follow-up album, Wake Up...It's Tomorrow. They continued to mine the same sunshine pop psych sound of their mega hit, but came up a bit short. "Sit With The Guru" and "Tomorrow" are perfect follow-up singles, but music changed a lot between 1967 and 1968, and they couldn't get any traction. Still, there are some great tunes here and if you like the group, this is an album well worth checking out.

Strawberry Alarm Clock (front).jpg

Strawberry Alarm Clock (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest dilemma, if I do happen to buy some of this on CD, I will hang myself if it's smashed to bits from the loudness wars. I just can't do that any more. I refuse to listen to something that sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Anything I've posted here comes from my personal CD collection. Like you, I hate brickwalled masterings and that's why I've purchased many of my discs over and over again. Another thing I despise are the heavily DNRed discs that were prominent in the late '90s / early '2000s. Dull, lifeless, crap. If you are interested in buying something that I posted about here, I am happy to share waveform images of my discs, etc. so you can see for yourself. And, I may be able to make recommendations about versions to avoid. Jut PM me.

With the whole Saturday Night Fever / "Disco Sucks!" backlash that happened, it's easy to forget what an amazing and proper pop band the Bee Gees were when Bee Gees 1st came out in 1967. It is arguably one of the best debut albums to come out of the Sixties. This remarkable record is stacked with 14 originals, and there is not a dud in the bunch. Also, there is something truly magical that happens when siblings sing in harmony. I never get tired of this LP. It's a desert island record for me.

Bee Gees 1st (front).jpg

Bee Gees 1st (back).jpg

With the whole Saturday Night Fever / "Disco Sucks!" backlash that happened, it's easy to forget what an amazing and proper pop band the Bee Gees were when Bee Gees 1st came out in 1967. It is arguably one of the best debut albums to come out of the Sixties. This remarkable record is stacked with 14 originals, and there is not a dud in the bunch. Also, there is something truly magical that happens when siblings sing in harmony. I never get tired of this LP. It's a desert island record for me.

View attachment 101900
View attachment 101901

Bee Gees - Red Chair Fade Away (1967)
View attachment 101902

Bee Gees - New York Mining Disaster 1941 (1967)
View attachment 101903

Bee Gees - In My Own Time (1967)
View attachment 101904

Bee Gees - Cucumber Castle (1967)
View attachment 101905
IMO, one of THE BEST GROUPS EVER! Whether early or even later periods, the B's NEVER DISAPPOINTED.

Would love to hear their music in discrete 5.1 or ATMOS....their ethereal harmonies would sound absolutely splendid!!!!!!

Another early period Favorite:

Soul Finger - Bar-Kays

Love Is Just a Four-Letter Word - Joan Baez
We caught Baez on her farewell tour.
She sent us a free copy of her last album.

Mister Pleasant - Nicky Hopkins

Treat Her Right - Roy Head & the Traits
from Shindig

If you happen to find yourself in or near Nazareth, PA between now and April, I would highly recommend that you check this out:

https://www.martinguitar.com/news/about-martin-press-111523-joan-baez.html

And here is an excerpt from an interview that appeared in musicradar online:

"My personal collection is very small, I must have five guitars in total. The two Martins I use are replicas of the Martin 1929 0-45 I bought for $200 in 1962. I hadn't played that guitar for years. Although, I packed it up, bought it a seat on the plane and took it to the recording session for this album and that's the first time I've played it for decades.

"An amusing story about that guitar is that when it went in to be fixed in 1996, the repairman took it apart and found a scroll inside which said, 'Too bad you're a communist'. It must have been done by a repairman years ago who disputed my politics. When the 0-45 was replicated for a 1997 edition, a backwards label bearing the same slogan was adhered to the inside of the soundboard so that it could be read with an inspection mirror.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/joa...y-guitar-which-said-too-bad-youre-a-communist

Last edited:
The classic LOVE album, Forever Changes, has been re-released dozens of times throughout the years. It has been very much critiqued, dissected, and analyzed, too. Deservedly so, I must add. However, their followup, Four Sail, has been more or less MIA by comparison. Yes, it's a different band lineup. We ARE talking Arthur Lee here. But, it's a balls to the walls, bloody great rock album, IMO. Lee is in top form with blistering guitar licks throughout, yet his songs remain highly melodic (in a LOVE sort of way.) This is a thrilling sixties album that should not be overlooked. Check it out!

Four Sail (front).jpg

Four Sail (back).jpg

Outside a Small Circle of Friends - Phil Ochs
Live in Vancouver
In the late 90's, I attended a tribute concert at the Bottom Line in NYC
Sonny Ochs (Phil's Sister) sat next to me!

I was in the county jail for possession of Marijuana and they had little speakers in the cell and the radio playing. This song was getting heavy rotation at that time it was so easy to relate to. When I hear it now it takes me back.

It appears everyone is enjoying a journey back to the sixties. I have a couple of songs that share the same sentiment.
For your listening pleasure:

"Country Joe McDonald / Bring Back The Sixties Man"

"Danny Wilson / The Second Summer Of Love"

It appears everyone is enjoying a journey back to the sixties. I have a couple of songs that share the same sentiment.
For your listening pleasure:

"Country Joe McDonald / Bring Back The Sixties Man"
View attachment 101913

"Danny Wilson / The Second Summer Of Love"
View attachment 101914
Wow! I never knew that Danny Wilson released a second album. I love their first one, especially, "Mary's Prayer."

Here's a little diamond in the rough from 1967. I was not familiar with the group, but I picked it up as a blind buy around 15 years ago because I read that Steve Stanley was involved the compilation. The Blades Of Grass have a somewhat unique sound, especially on tunes like, "Just Ah," with its arresting lead vocal, or the tempo shifting, "Is It The Rain." The Blades Of Grass Are Not For Smoking is a tiny blip on the psychedelic sixties roadmap. If not for the (tame compared to the rest of the album) minor chart action they got on the single "Happy," I doubt this would have ever seen the light of day. Is it a good album? You bet!

The Blades Of Grass (front).jpg

The Blades Of Grass (back).jpg

Wow! I never knew that Danny Wilson released a second album. I love their first one, especially, "Mary's Prayer."
It's called "Be-Bop Mop Top" and is more great DW music. You might also want to check out Gary Clark's solo work which includes the band "King L". He had one solo album but released a bundle of cd singles that amounts to another couple of cds worth of tunes.

Back