Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lou,
that's a good news, 45dB (Quadulator?) is a lot better than 35dB; problem is, what cart are capable of such a performance? Never seen a spec sheet that list more than 35dB at 1KHz - and that's the best value, at 15KHz is down by many point. Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks Lou, I will order a stylus today. The only problem is that I don't know if the stylus that was offered was an OEM or not. I do know that it is Shibata. I guess I will take my chances. I might want to modify my 4DD5 to use this cart. I can use the SH400 schematic for clues as to how to do it. Or I can fix my SH400. I suspect that a recap would fix it up just fine.

With my sometimes yearly quadraphonic flyer now to the members of our Quadro-Action I have asked actual a few days before the fans in our Quadro Avction, who will have an general interess for a new high quality CD-4 Demodulator. Only a few days later I have received already from10 a reporting back, that they would be interested. When the price is not to hot and the item looks well or in this hinsight hot (including the most important well quality) I think, that there finally some more will have an interess. I mail them all by finishing the real available demodulator of course a special flyer. I write this for the motivation of Lou, that he likes further on his sweat away working for us.

Dietrich

Hello You All,

Pickup cartridge to be announced. For every ones information. The Signetics CD4-392 and the CD-894 chips are actually a Signetics (NXP) NE565 or a National Semiconductor LM565. Still in production by both!

Lou Dorren
post 37

Lou,
I've been researching demod circuits and comparing what forum users say about some of them. I have schematics for both the QRX-8001 and JVC4dd-5 decoders, and they have completely different chip pinouts. The cd-894 (se-405, cd-400, 4dd-5) is the NE565/LM565, but the CD4-392 (qrx) is a completely different animal. Power pins different, inputs and outputs different, etc.
Is the CD4-392 a custom chip, or does it cross over to a regular PLL chip?

Hello jrborg,

The CD4-392 is a composite of the NE-565 and the NE-570 ships together. It was made for JVC by Signetics. Unfortunately none are available. The cd894 is an NE565.

Lou Dorren

Hello Quad Fans,

I have arranged for a short run of the QSI record cleaner. This is a run of 50 kits. The kits will include a box of lab grade Kim Wipes, and 8 ounce bottle of QSI record cleaner and instruction sheets on how to clean CD-4 disks and how to restore badly abused conventional vinyl records, acetate dubs, and shellac 78s for archive recording purposes. The cost is $28.00 per kit which includes shipping. California residents add 8.25 % state tax. Delivery will be in 4 weeks.

To get into the queue, send the cost using a credit or debit card through PayPal to the following ID:

[email protected]

You do not need a PayPal account to do this. Just log on to www.paypal.com, click on the personal tab. From the menu bar click on send money selection and from the drop down menu click on "send money on line".

When the Send Money window opens enter [email protected] in the "To" area, your email address in the "From" area, 28.00 in the "Amount" area and check the Goods circle. Then click on the continue button and in the next window fill in all the requested information,your name, address, credit card info etc.. When you are finished click on "agree and continue" and the next window will let you verify all the information. If everything is OK then click on "send money" and wait (click only once). The next window will verify that the money has been sent.

Enjoy the QSI record cleaner,

Lou Dorren

Hello Quad Fans,

I have arranged for a short run of the QSI record cleaner. This is a run of 50 kits. The kits will include a box of lab grade Kim Wipes, and 8 ounce bottle of QSI record cleaner and instruction sheets on how to clean CD-4 disks and how to restore badly abused conventional vinyl records, acetate dubs, and shellac 78s for archive recording purposes. The cost is $28.00 per kit which includes shipping. California residents add 8.25 % state tax. Delivery will be in 4 weeks.

To get into the queue, send the cost using a credit or debit card through PayPal to the following ID:

[email protected]

You do not need a PayPal account to do this. Just log on to www.paypal.com, click on the personal tab. From the menu bar click on send money selection and from the drop down menu click on "send money on line".

When the Send Money window opens enter [email protected] in the "To" area, your email address in the "From" area, 28.00 in the "Amount" area and check the Goods circle. Then click on the continue button and in the next window fill in all the requested information,your name, address, credit card info etc.. When you are finished click on "agree and continue" and the next window will let you verify all the information. If everything is OK then click on "send money" and wait (click only once). The next window will verify that the money has been sent.

Lou Dorren

I just ordered mine :banana:

Hello Quad Fans,

[email protected]

Lou Dorren

Got mine in too! (y) I need the proper record cleaner, got a lot of dusty records. :)

Thanks Lou!

Lou,
how many disk can be cleaned with a kit?

Thanks Lou my order is sent,got some LP's I need to see if I can recover to play.Like my Auqalung CD4 that looks good when I eyeball it but sounds terrible.

So the ANRS system is basically a compander. Then there's the matrix part. Would that be unity gain summing buffers? Just wondering if it's possible to reconstruct the circuit with available chips to keep these old decoders alive. (I have one)

I have an old technics receiver that has a CD-4 demodulator made entirely of discrete components, even the PLL circuit. The boards are removable and I have kept it around so I would always have the ability to demodulate CD-4, no matter what chips were no longer availlable. So, to answer the question, it will always be possible to reconstruct any type circuit in a CD-4 demodulator. It's a simple device when you compare it to other electronic devices like an NTSC color TV set. And it works well when it has what it needs.

The Quadfather

P.S. I've been looking for something to clean my Victrola discs.

Hello to all QQ people,

Soesbeout(QpS), wa6ubw, The QSI record cleaner will work very well in cleaning Edison cylinders, CDs, DVDs, Blu Ray discs, and Laserdiscs. The instruction sheets that come with the kits will explain "how to" for all of these type media.

DennisMaybry, It will work fine on the Diamond Discs as well as metal mother disks.

jrborg, Quadfather, Anything is possible.

Lou Dorren

There are some old records that you absolutely don't want to use any liquids on when cleaning them. Some old records have fiber dust (or something like that, I don't remember specifically) cores, and any crack in the playing surface will permit liquid to enter. When that happens, the fiber swells and totally ruins the record forever. There are some articles on record care and cleaning from professional archivists on the subject. I'd have to look up the specific article and record types. If in doubt, dry vacuum the record. And some records, like coated cardboard Recordio type records, may delaminate when vacuumed, so with all antique records, do nothing until sure about the record construction and condition. Some aluminum base acetete records will also peel if vacuumed.
If you have a record cleaning solution, test it on the edge of a record first to see if the solvents in the cleaner will attack the record itself before using it on the playing surface. There are many old records that will dissolve when a modern record cleaner touches them.

Here's a good article describing antique records, their composition and cleaning.

The Care and Handling of Recorded Sound Materials
By Gilles St-Laurent
Music Division
National Library Of Canada January 1996

Back