Love, Love, Love! Beatles, Vegas, 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
All you need is . . . $125 and a plane ticket to Vegas.

Last Sat nite, I saw the new Beatles Love Cirque de Soleil show at the Mirage. In the very spot where one bad kitty brought down the 30-year-old juggernaut that was Siegfried and Roy, now transformed into a custom theater-in-the-round for the Fab Four fantasia. Liverpudlian ladies in light blue bell hats, right ready to stop me from grabbing an unapproved seat upgrade.

Bloody hell.

No matter. From the opening harmony, the carefully baffled walls, 10-billion watt amp equipment that comes with the unlimited Vegas budget, and seats with built in stereo speakers, this is the best sound quality ever in a public venue. A 5.1 fantasy come true.

The show ain't half bad either. Lots of orange and blue (Blue, Blue, my love is . . . ), Volkswagens, giant butterflies, blackbirds, outrageous Brit 60's garb, and one very perky sun. Silliness, sound, explosive energy.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm going back.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/love/music/music.htm

Last edited:
I saw it six days after it opened, and sat in the front row. Don't do it! It's unbelievably loud. Go for the cheaper seats. You'll get a better perspective of the entire show, and the music won't be so overpowering. Do go see this, by all means.

Does that mean we should rattle our Jewelry?

Nah, just save up for the Christmas release, which should be incredible. A new Beatles product: who would have thought? Now on to the much rumoured remaster campaign and the Classic Records--ok, I'll stop.

I finally got to see the show and was totally blown way by the experience. It's easily the best Cirque show I've seen with much more focus on the overall effect of each sequence rather individual acts, even the "Blackbird" segment wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The sound is absolutely stunning and the idea of putting the surround tracks and effects in the headrest of each seat really helps to immerse you in the sound and visuals. There was much more complete music than I was expecting but the bits that were "mashed" seemed very well done. Overall it's amazing how the people involved have managed translate the various Beatle eras into visual spectacles (it's incredible how much they went through and evolved in a relatively short period of time). It's a shame that the soundtrack looks as though it's going to be a standard CD when it's issued in November as a lot of the separation used in the theatre will be lost but it will be interesting to hear how the Martins mix it down to stereo. The highlight for me was George Harrison's acoustic demo of "While My Guitar" with a new string arrangement by George Martin. The only problem with the whole thing is that there is so much going on both visually and sonically that you'll need several goes to take it all in. For once all the money and effort that's been put into this production is reflected in the results; the only shame is that Vegas is likely to be the only place able to stage this show and it's 5,000 miles away so it'll be a while before I get to go again.

I was in the front row opening week: big mistake. Talk about being blown away--literally. Phenomenal show. All must see this, but go for the least expensive seats. The room isn't that big, and the sound will carry you away, as opposed to overwhelming you.

I agree. I don't know about the sound levels in the expensive seats but they seem way too close to the stage and are set so low that you're in danger of putting your kneck out to see a lot of the performances. I've learnt from previous Cirque shows to get seats that are higher up so that you get a better view of the acts and went for the $125 seats and they were fine. Maybe I'll try the cheaper seats next time as the only "restricted view" ones seem to be the expensive ones.

I cornered Bruce Spizer at "The Fest For Beatles Fans" a month or so back and he said that the powers that be are talking about a multichannel soundtrack release for this, though probably not concurrent with the stereo CD which will come out first. I'd love to hear this!

With the ending of the Love show in Vegas in July it would be nice to see an expanded Blu-ray release of the show (in a similar vein to the video releases Cirque have done for some of their other shows) maybe featuring the complete show instead of the extracts on the previous DVD. As there were multiple channels used in the show itself an ATMOS mix would be a nice possibility.

However, given all the different parties involved in the production, probably nothing will happen.

Back