Magnetoresistive Heads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopTip

As it is time to replace the heads on one of my reel to reels, I thought I should try experimenting with a magnetoresistive (MR) playback head. As way of background MR heads are commonly used in hard drives and represent a relatively new class. In MR heads a special material slightly changes its resistance in the presence of a magnetic field (as opposed to inducing a current with changes in such field, as in traditional inductive heads).

I see at least 2 benefits from its application in reading analog tapes and was told of a third one: (1) Since the head directly reads the field, it generates an electrical copy rather than a mathematical derivative. This eliminates any need for phase correction, the usual -6dB/octave slope, etc. In theory it should read down to DC (2) Since inductance is not used, matters such as LF "head bumps" and other resonance peaks should be eliminated.(3) Finally, I am told, azimuth is less of an issue.

There are some problems nevertheless, I read. MR heads are not linear in the frequency domain, need magnetic biasing to be mad more linear, etc. My early 1990s Philips DCC cassette player uses an MR head for both digital and analog and seems to work great.

Question is where do I find an MR head for this purpose? A few years ago I had read that at least one firm was starting manufacture of 4, 8 and 16 track MR heads but have not been able to find it.

What about the heads from QIC computer tape drives?
Could be worth some experimenting. Not sure however which ones are MR heads, and if track width and magnetic linearity will be an issue.

I believe i should have a service manual of my own DCC175 somewhere..

Yes, track width and number are the issues. In the heads that I have come across so far, that may be possible candidates, an 8mm head had 44 tracks (for data backup cartridges). With that many tracks, it may be possible to combine some and ignore others, to fit the quarter inch tape format. If you look in the DCC service book you will see that the P/B circuit is not complicated. I believe there is a bias circuit to push the head into its linear range but that is about it.

Back