Jumping Into Quad with Doubts - HELP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! New to the group here. Whittington is my name. I'm in my late sixties. I love to create music. I play a Hammond/Leslie Organ. I enjoy listening to music. I like most kinds of music except a few types. I collect gear and am an amateur hobbyist with a soldering gun. I enjoyed Quad in my customized Chevy Van in the seventies. I have a '67 Chevy van project in the works and plan on reviving that memory. I started collecting for it by getting the Craig tape deck I had and many Q8 tapes. Then, I figured, what the heck? I will research what the best play-back system for the house would be for the tapes until the van was complete.

Like I said, I collect stuff. In my stack of receivers what do you know?! There was a Sansui QRX 9001. Eventually, I sent that off to QRX Restore in Eugene, OR. last fall. Its getting the "full enchilada" complete rebuild and restore Holy Grail...etc etc. I'm even having them add a plug for the Sansui QBL-100 Remote which I bought a while back and had set aside. The receiver is mint in appearance which excites me. I bought a AKAI CR-80D-SS eight track player. I have collected a fair share of Reel to Reel players and had acquired a Tascam 34B. I sent it out for restoration and calibration. My turntable is a Thorens 121 with a custom made stylus and cartridge from Sound Smith that he claims will work great for Quad. My speakers are ADS 1590ii (2) and ADS 1290ii (2).

I think I have all the goodies. The receiver is expected to arrive in March. I let go of my JBL L200s and picked up the first set of ADS 1590s. still waiting on the smaller 1290s. These speakers are great. Very great!! Low efficiency though. They are known to require high wattage and high current to sound their best. Which leads me to posting here. Since landing those speakers, I joined an ADS group. Today, after posting asking about the similarity of the two models of speakers mentioned, since one pair has yet to arrive, I instead got lambasted for even doing Quad when they found out. I was informed that the quad format was dead for a reason. That it was so inferior, fake, and anything but high fidelity and that I should forget the Sansui route.

So.... doubt kills the warrior. I have been collecting this kit for a few years at least. Lots of money sunk into it. I have grown to enjoy "high fidelity". The work on the receiver is going to set me back a couple grand. At QRX RESTORE, they say I will be blown away. But man,... Those ADS guys got into my head.

PS. This is not going to be my only system. But I am assuming it
will be showcased and primary at the very least.

What's the truth Quad People? Will I be disappointed? My expectations have been so high over the years getting to where I am. I was on a waiting list at QRX Restore for well over a year and had spoke with Jim over there before he passed away. This is no time for cold feet. But, I sure could use some reassurance.

Thanks in advance,
Whittington

Don't listen to those idiots! Those stereo only people think that you only need two speakers because you only have two ears, nonsense!
Quad only failed because it wasn't given a fair chance. Had they done the same with colour TV we would still be watching black and white.
Comments from the ADS guys like that would make me go someplace else!

Surround has seen a rebirth mainly via video and by adding even more speakers! My personal passion is still for traditional Quad. Four is the sweet spot, more speakers and you have to compromise on size and quality or build a special "home theatre room" adding subs and height speakers large screen ect. and much much more money!

If you enjoyed quad in the seventies you will enjoy it even more now. Add a "Universal player" and enjoy vintage quad via modern formats like SACD and Blu-ray.

The decoder in the Sansui QRX 9001 is excellent for enhancement of stereo as well, you will never want to listen to regular bland boring stereo again!

Have the best sounding copy of your favorite album(s) ready when it comes back, you will be in for a new experience with the QS synthesizer mode. I have a restored QSD-2 and it conducts an amazing performance with most stereo recordings. It is not just gimmickry, quad matrix systems are a precise and magical science!
The 9001 is also one of the best looking amplifiers ever made imo.

I believe denigrating the customer's dreams is grounds for losing business. You're in the right place here with people who understand and appreciate the fine gear you are restoring. We can probably recommend dealers who aren't so smug and dismissive. It is they who are behind the times.

Hello! New to the group here. Whittington is my name. I'm in my late sixties. I love to create music. I play a Hammond/Leslie Organ. I enjoy listening to music. I like most kinds of music except a few types. I collect gear and am an amateur hobbyist with a soldering gun. I enjoyed Quad in my customized Chevy Van in the seventies. I have a '67 Chevy van project in the works and plan on reviving that memory. I started collecting for it by getting the Craig tape deck I had and many Q8 tapes. Then, I figured, what the heck? I will research what the best play-back system for the house would be for the tapes until the van was complete.

Like I said, I collect stuff. In my stack of receivers what do you know?! There was a Sansui QRX 9001. Eventually, I sent that off to QRX Restore in Eugene, OR. last fall. Its getting the "full enchilada" complete rebuild and restore Holy Grail...etc etc. I'm even having them add a plug for the Sansui QBL-100 Remote which I bought a while back and had set aside. The receiver is mint in appearance which excites me. I bought a AKAI CR-80D-SS eight track player. I have collected a fair share of Reel to Reel players and had acquired a Tascam 34B. I sent it out for restoration and calibration. My turntable is a Thorens 121 with a custom made stylus and cartridge from Sound Smith that he claims will work great for Quad. My speakers are ADS 1590ii (2) and ADS 1290ii (2).

I think I have all the goodies. The receiver is expected to arrive in March. I let go of my JBL L200s and picked up the first set of ADS 1590s. still waiting on the smaller 1290s. These speakers are great. Very great!! Low efficiency though. They are known to require high wattage and high current to sound their best. Which leads me to posting here. Since landing those speakers, I joined an ADS group. Today, after posting asking about the similarity of the two models of speakers mentioned, since one pair has yet to arrive, I instead got lambasted for even doing Quad when they found out. I was informed that the quad format was dead for a reason. That it was so inferior, fake, and anything but high fidelity and that I should forget the Sansui route.

So.... doubt kills the warrior. I have been collecting this kit for a few years at least. Lots of money sunk into it. I have grown to enjoy "high fidelity". The work on the receiver is going to set me back a couple grand. At QRX RESTORE, they say I will be blown away. But man,... Those ADS guys got into my head.

What's the truth Quad People? Will I be disappointed? My expectations have been so high over the years getting to where I am. I was on a waiting list at QRX Restore for well over a year and had spoke with Jim over there before he passed away. This is no time for cold feet. But, I sure could use some reassurance.

Thanks in advance,
Whittington
I don’t see that you’ve returned to these hallowed halls, so I can only hope that your experiences have been positive.

I know that I have enjoyed surround sound since I first played “Switched-on Bach” through my Sony SQD1000 fifty+ years ago. I hope you stop back in and tell us of your experience.

Hi, I'm new here, too and had to look up what a universal player was. Chat GPT says:
A "Universal player" is an audio/video playback device capable of handling multiple formats, including modern high-resolution audio formats like SACD (Super Audio CD) and Blu-ray, as well as more traditional formats such as CD and DVD. These players are designed to provide a convenient all-in-one solution for enjoying various media types without needing multiple dedicated playback devices.

By adding a Universal player to your audio setup, you can enjoy vintage quadraphonic recordings that have been reissued or remastered in modern high-resolution formats. Many classic quadraphonic albums have been released on SACD or Blu-ray Audio, which can carry multi-channel audio with higher fidelity and resolution compared to the original vinyl or other analog formats.

Here's how a Universal player can benefit you:

1. High-resolution audio: Modern formats like SACD and Blu-ray Audio offer higher audio quality compared to their original analog counterparts. This means you can enjoy vintage quadraphonic recordings with improved clarity, detail, and dynamic range.
  2. Multi-channel audio: SACD and Blu-ray Audio can carry discrete multi-channel audio, which provides a more accurate reproduction of the original quadraphonic experience than matrix-encoded formats like SQ and QS. You'll get better channel separation and a more immersive listening experience.
  3. Convenience: A Universal player allows you to play various formats in one device, reducing the need for multiple dedicated playback devices and simplifying your audio setup.
  4. Compatibility: Most Universal players have a range of analog and digital outputs, making it easier to connect the player to your existing audio system, including vintage quadraphonic receivers like the Pioneer QX-949.
To enjoy vintage quadraphonic recordings through a Universal player, you would need to connect the player's multi-channel analog outputs to the corresponding inputs on your quadraphonic receiver or amplifier. This will enable you to experience the high-resolution multi-channel audio provided by SACD and Blu-ray Audio releases.

In summary, a Universal player is a versatile audio/video playback device that can handle various formats, including modern high-resolution audio formats like SACD and Blu-ray Audio. By adding a Universal player to your setup, you can enjoy vintage quadraphonic recordings in higher quality and with improved channel separation, while also benefiting from the convenience of an all-in-one playback solution.

ChatGPT cuts off in 2021, so these models may be outdated.

1. Sony UBP-X700: This player supports Blu-ray, DVD, CD, and SACD, as well as 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray with HDR. It also includes built-in streaming apps and supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for immersive audio.
  2. LG UBK90: This 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player supports Blu-ray, DVD, and CD formats. It features HDR10 and Dolby Vision support for improved video quality, as well as built-in Wi-Fi and streaming apps.
  3. Panasonic DP-UB420: This player supports 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, and CD formats. It offers HDR10 and HLG support, as well as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X compatibility for high-quality audio.
  4. Pioneer DV-3052: This is a more basic option that supports DVD, CD, and SACD formats but does not offer 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray or HDR capabilities. However, it may still be a good choice if your primary focus is on audio quality and you don't need 4K video playback.
When choosing a budget Universal player, consider the formats you want to play, the audio and video features that are most important to you, and the compatibility with your existing audio and video equipment. Keep in mind that prices and features may vary depending on your region and the availability of specific models.

I was informed that the quad format was dead for a reason. That it was so inferior, fake, and anything but high fidelity and that I should forget the Sansui route.

Boring people like that are why we didn't have a 1980s boom of Dolby Pro Logic-encoded CDs at the same time as home theater surround was becoming a thing. Heck, we wouldn't have widescreen HD displays with that mindset. You'd think people focused on boutique speakers would appreciate the opportunity to have at least 2 more to show off (and the builders would encourage the extra business).

Finally, I have picked up my QRX 9001. It is fully restored from QRX Restore. It took two years.

Here is what I have tried thus far.

1. Standard stereo sounds pretty good. Sansui is new to me and it has a warm but clear sound.
2. I have four ADS L-1590s hooked up and that allows me to switch to the QS Synthesizer Surround for some pleasant effects. I run my Thorens 121 through a Bottlehead Eros Phono Amp and into my auxiliary input. It produces very pleasing sounds.

But I haven't done anything else.

*I have a Tascam four channel R2R that has been restored and calibrated that I haven't introduced to the room yet. I bought a tape for it a few days ago.

*I have an Akai Eight Track Quad player and dozens of quad tapes that I need to have serviced before shoving them into the jaws of that beast ;-) (Recommendations for a reliable source to do that for me would be appreciated).

*Most of all I love vinyl. And of course it seems like tricky territory.

I am anxious to try CD-4. I have a couple extra turntables I can have set up for this. But the cartridge and stylus requirements are puzzling. What can I expect to purchase out there that is good quality and the best sound? And what do I need to do for wiring? Do I need to rewire my arm? I have a Thorens TD 165 collecting dust. I have an AR Eb101 also not being used.

Is the CD-4 format the best way to experience the best discreet experience? Are there other ways to listen to Quad Records that I can investigate?

Thank you

Wow, congratulations!

I think you can play pretty much every quad format with that thing!

QS/SQ encoded records are probably the easiest to start out with, if you have any of those?

Does the 9001 allow you to feed it 4 discrete input channels as well? From a computer, or 4ch tape deck?

Wow, congratulations!

I think you can play pretty much every quad format with that thing!

QS/SQ encoded records are probably the easiest to start out with, if you have any of those?

Does the 9001 allow you to feed it 4 discrete input channels as well? From a computer, or 4ch tape deck?
Yes it has four inputs for discreet quad signals

Finally, I have picked up my QRX 9001. It is fully restored from QRX Restore. It took two years.

1. Standard stereo sounds pretty good. Sansui is new to me and it has a warm but clear sound.
2. I have four ADS L-1590s hooked up and that allows me to switch to the QS Synthesizer Surround for some pleasant effects. I run my Thorens 121 through a Bottlehead Eros Phono Amp and into my auxiliary input. It produces very pleasing sounds.

*I have a Tascam four channel R2R that has been restored and calibrated that I haven't introduced to the room yet. I bought a tape for it a few days ago.

*I have an Akai Eight Track Quad player and dozens of quad tapes that I need to have serviced before shoving them into the jaws of that beast ;-) (Recommendations for a reliable source to do that for me would be appreciated).

I am anxious to try CD-4. I have a couple extra turntables I can have set up for this. But the cartridge and stylus requirements are puzzling. What can I expect to purchase out there that is good quality and the best sound? And what do I need to do for wiring? Do I need to rewire my arm? I have a Thorens TD 165 collecting dust. I have an AR Eb101 also not being used.

Is the CD-4 format the best way to experience the best discreet experience? Are there other ways to listen to Quad Records that I can investigate?

Thank you
Pics would be nice!

Thank you
You have one of the best decoders for QS in that receiver. If you have any records that are encoded in that system, by all means, try them. You'll be very pleased with the separation and sound quality from those records. You can also play records encoded with the SQ matrix, which that receiver also handles, with similar results.

For CD-4, you need a cartridge that is designed for CD-4. The requirements are an extended high frequency response, up to 45kHz and beyond, as well as a Shibata stylus. The turntable needs to have low-capacitance wiring, from headshell to receiver inputs, to minimize loss of the high frequency carriers.

Your 9001 is, hands down, the finest quadraphonic receiver ever made. Enjoy the experience.

Note for CD-4 you can't use an external phono pre-amp, the turntable outputs have to be directly connected to the phono inputs on the 9001.

Thanks in advance,
Whittington
Although everyone is different, my not-so-humble opinion is that you will find surround audio to be enjoyable, and you will spend a bunch of money enjoying it. Again, my NSHO is that quad died because of the format war. I picked a winner, but they all lost. Modern digital formats also abound, but there are players that will play pretty much anything that fits in the drawer, so although it’s still a thorn, it’s not deadly.

Fasten your seatbelt! It’s going to be one neck of a ride!

Thank you

I must agree with others, you've got one of the best quad receivers ever made. Too bad it took 2 years round trip but I can tell your going to enjoy it. The only upgrade I could recommend for stereo/matrix quad playback is the Surround Master you've probably read about. Very clean 3 band decoding for QS/SQ is pretty sweet. Unfortunately is does not have the two Sansui stereo synthesis mode of Hall & Surround. The latter, as you mentioned above, is esp effective at wrap around surround from pop/rock.

As for CD-4 there is an abundance of previous posts on this topic as what to use vintage or new carts, etc. I suggest just search for "CD-4" in thread title & behold the quantity & quality of information.

In the 70's I had a room mate with ADS speakers. I remember them looking just like your 1590's. Stereo only for him but I really liked their reproduction. Are the foam surrounds still good?

Although everyone is different, my not-so-humble opinion is that you will find surround audio to be enjoyable, and you will spend a bunch of money enjoying it. Again, my NSHO is that quad died because of the format war. I picked a winner, but they all lost. Modern digital formats also abound, but there are players that will play pretty much anything that fits in the drawer, so although it’s still a thorn, it’s not deadly.

Fasten your seatbelt! It’s going to be one neck of a ride!

Actually, quad was killed by money-minded executives who suddenly realized that quad was not the moneymaker they thought it would be.

The problem is that quad reel-to-reel recorder sales were exceeding all expectations. So everyone thought that quad would sell big and introduced all kinds of quad products.

- While the R2R sales continued at high levels, nothing else sold at anywhere near those levels.

- Then they thought everyone wanted discrete, so they switched to discrete formats. No sale.

It was TASCAM who finally figured it out. Those 4-channel R2Rs were not going into quad systems, but into home recording studios as multitrack recorders.

When the record producers and equipment makers learned this, they discontinued everything quad. One record company exec was so mad when he found this out that he ordered everything quad they had destroyed.

Quad didn't entirely disappear. It was replaced with Dolby Surround (the first system to solve the side-image problem).

Boring people like that are why we didn't have a 1980s boom of Dolby Pro Logic-encoded CDs at the same time as home theater surround was becoming a thing. Heck, we wouldn't have widescreen HD displays with that mindset. You'd think people focused on boutique speakers would appreciate the opportunity to have at least 2 more to show off (and the builders would encourage the extra business).

First of all, all original Dolby Surround recordings are encoded in the same basic way. The differences between Dolby Surround, Pro-Logic, and Pro-Logic II were in the decoders.

Second, I DO have a plethora of records and CDs in Dolby Surround. Almost all movie soundtrack records and CDs with material taken from the film are in Dolby Surround (at least before the films went discrete). They just are not labeled as being Dolby Surround.

Third, I have never been a fan of discrete. Discrete always has the $@#% side-image problem with its cogging. Most matrix systems form a side image, though often it is cockeyed. Dolby Surround was the first system that fully solves the side-image problem. I have no interest at all in these new systems which are all discrete and all have the side-image problem.

If I had a 9001 I would use it to decode matrix vinyl ( QS, SQ, RM etc ) and hook up a discrete 4ch input source from a computer too, so all my discrete digital files could feed it. If you've got 4ch reel to reel I'd make use of that as well. Those tapes are expensive to buy though.

I'd use the 9001 for regular stereo front end, and play around with the Sansui surround effects on stereo sources too.

I'm effectively doing the same thing using a Surroundmaster: it decodes the matrix sources, and works very well with stereo sources too. It's hooked up to a pair of stereo amps, which I also feed discrete 4ch front/rear from my PC/media server.

Myself I don't think I'd bother with CD4, when pure discrete is so easy nowadays from a PC. Although I have all the CD4 gear except a decoder.

I must agree with others, you've got one of the best quad receivers ever made. Too bad it took 2 years round trip but I can tell your going to enjoy it. The only upgrade I could recommend for stereo/matrix quad playback is the Surround Master you've probably read about. Very clean 3 band decoding for QS/SQ is pretty sweet. Unfortunately is does not have the two Sansui stereo synthesis mode of Hall & Surround. The latter, as you mentioned above, is esp effective at wrap around surround from pop/rock.

As for CD-4 there is an abundance of previous posts on this topic as what to use vintage or new carts, etc. I suggest just search for "CD-4" in thread title & behold the quantity & quality of information.

In the 70's I had a room mate with ADS speakers. I remember them looking just like your 1590's. Stereo only for him but I really liked their reproduction. Are the foam surrounds still good?
Yes the surrounds are perfect as they are rubber. I will search more regarding CD-4 here. Thank you

If I had a 9001 I would use it to decode matrix vinyl ( QS, SQ, RM etc ) and hook up a discrete 4ch input source from a computer too, so all my discrete digital files could feed it. If you've got 4ch reel to reel I'd make use of that as well. Those tapes are expensive to buy though.

I'd use the 9001 for regular stereo front end, and play around with the Sansui surround effects on stereo sources too.

I'm effectively doing the same thing using a Surroundmaster: it decodes the matrix sources, and works very well with stereo sources too. It's hooked up to a pair of stereo amps, which I also feed discrete 4ch front/rear from my PC/media server.

Myself I don't think I'd bother with CD4, when pure discrete is so easy nowadays from a PC. Although I have all the CD4 gear except a decoder.
My mind draws a blank when you suggest hooking it up to my computer. All my hair is grey so pardon the pause here, buy isn't my computer just stereo? And where do I get four channel recordings to download into my computer to begin with? How would my computer output four channels? Some sort of interface I suspect... But this has me completely unknowledgeable about this idea. Could you elaborate some please?

Back