Marantz 4140 Happy Ending

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Marantz 4140 Happy Ending - Feb 15th I went to the Marantz Restoration FB group to get a service referral for this unit. My 1040 amp was patched in as a rescue to drive rear channels; LR got poppy / spitty which spread to LF.
I dreaded shipping it out of state so my SOS message would've asked for someone closer. Lo and behold, the 2nd post I saw there for a repair team here in Nashville. Wanted this ready for Spring, figured I’d be without for a month.

Dropped it off Feb 16th with a bench deposit, was told the tech would get the unit on Monday, repair promised within 3 weeks. On Monday the tech started a texting dialog with photos of progress. Brought it home Feb 23rd and wired it back into the system and played a few minutes of Deep Purple - Machine Head from Q4 FLACs to check it and it's so clean now! Repaired done in just a few days.

J&T Electronics Repair - Nashville 615-939-1574 CHEERS

IMG_0363.JPG

Last edited:
Marantz 4140 Happy Ending - Feb 15th I went to the Marantz Restoration FB group to get a service referral for this unit. My 1040 amp was patched in as a rescue to drive rear channels; LR got poppy / spitty which spread to LF.
I dreaded shipping it out of state so my SOS message would've asked for someone closer. Lo and behold, the 2nd post I saw there for a repair team here in Nashville. Wanted this ready for Spring.

Dropped it off Feb 16th with a bench deposit, was told the tech would get the unit on Monday, repair promised within 3 weeks. On Monday the tech started a texting dialog with photos of progress. Brought it home Feb 23rd and wired it back into the system and played a few minutes of Deep Purple - Machine Head from Q4 FLACs to check it and it's so clean now! Repaired done in just a few days.

J&T Electronics Repair - Nashville 615-939-1574 CHEERS

View attachment 102282

Beautiful!!!

This is timely. I found a guy on reddit in Nashville who is probably this firm. I am trying to get in contact with him. I have a variety of Marantz quad stuff that needs love: a 4000, a CD-400 or two, and a couple SQA cards.

Much thanks to Tim, @timbre4 for this referral.

I've had 3 different makes of CD-4 demodulators sitting around, that all had some hum in them. Apparently, electronics of this age just need some knowledgeable rebuilding (replacement of Caps. etc.) I decided to send J&T my favorite Marantz CD-400B, to see if they could get the hum out.

So I called Terry at:

J&T Electronics Repair - Nashville 615-939-1574

Sent it to them a couple weeks ago. Just got it back a couple days ago; and after a couple days of setting up and testing, it seems to be running nicely, sans the hum that has plagued me.

These guys seem to really know what they're doing with this Marantz gear. They may also be able to handle other makes of old gear, but not sure, you'd need to ask them. But at this point, I feel I can recommend them if this sort of thing is a priority to you. I can now start clearing my CD-4 back-log for conversions with clean transfers 🥳 -

this deserves four cowboys 🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠

new gear up.jpg

J. PUPSTER - What CD-4 phono cartridge(s), stylus type(s) and turntable(s) are you using to get good CD-4 decoding/sound quality?

Kirk Bayne

I'm glad your gear is back my looking for vintage audio repair here in central Floriduh for the Sansui quad makes me nervous resources are slim around here.

J. PUPSTER - What CD-4 phono cartridge(s), stylus type(s) and turntable(s) are you using to get good CD-4 decoding/sound quality?

Kirk Bayne
Kirk,

My current conversion chain is the following:

Technics SL-1200MK7 TT
->AT VM740SH (Shibata)- cart.
->MARANTZ CD-400B
->MOTU UltraLite mk4 (at 96x24)
->USB out to Windows 10 computer recording into Adobe Audition 3.0.1

I mainly used the Lou Dorren / Soundbird CD-4 Test Record (plus a couple of others) to calibrate the Marantz.

my first conversion is the Mitsuru Ono & The Swing Beavers - DISCOTEQUE HIT (Victor CD4B-5090 - Japanese non E version)

It's sounding fantastic IMO

Back