Marantz 4240 volume control needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrybloomfield

Hi everyone, first post to the forum, hope I've put this in the right place.

I've just bought a Marantz 4240, it needs a replacement 4-gang potentiometer assembly for the volume control, 4 x 50K. Has anyone got a spare or equivelent they can sell me (I'm in the UK), or tell me where I might find one? Needless to say, Marantz spares are not easy to find this side of the pond. Thanks.

Good Luck finding new/used replacement 4 stacked potentiometer. I was in the same boat with my Akai AS-980. I even called the original potentiometer manufacturer and got some good laughs. I ended up buying a spare AS-980 for parts. IIRC, Radio shack used to make a "Build-your-own" kit, but that was years ago, maybe one would show up on E-bay.

Spence

Hi everyone, first post to the forum, hope I've put this in the right place.

I've just bought a Marantz 4240, it needs a replacement 4-gang potentiometer assembly for the volume control, 4 x 50K. Has anyone got a spare or equivelent they can sell me (I'm in the UK), or tell me where I might find one? Needless to say, Marantz spares are not easy to find this side of the pond. Thanks.

Did you try cleaning it first?

Thanks to both of you for replying. I know this is going to be a tough one!

Thanks for the Radio Shack tip, I'll keep a look out. We used to have something very similar available here in the UK.

Yes, I've tried cleaning it, unfortunately it looks like the actual tracks are damaged inside the case.

Check this ebay ad out...I know it says BASS or TREBLE ctrl but in his description he mentions VOLUME ctrl. See if the numbers in the pic match yours possibly. Perhaps it really is a VOL control!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-4240-RE...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Good luck and keep checking ebay...I'l bet you can use the volume controls from the other 'rantz Quadradial models in your 4240 if you see them out there.

Thanks Tim, good of you to let me know, I checked, sadly it's the wrong resistance. I think you're right, from what I can see from circuit diagrams for various models, the 50K 4 gang volume control is a common design feature in many of the Marantz quads.

The 50K ohm, 4-ganged pot is also common to Pioneer models QX-747; 747A; 949;949A and I believe the QX-9900.

I too, contacted several U.S. manufacturers. Only one responded with a quote: 100 unit minimum at $180.00 each.

Keep checking eBay for the actual part or a salvage unit.

Back