Media Center Furniture Recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James_in_VA

As my basement flood repairs/renovation get to within 6 weeks of completion, I'm thinking about how to set up and stage my multi-channel and home theater components so I'd like to see what has worked for you all. It has literally been five years since I've used anything but a soundbar! I'm looking to balance the following:
* protection (dust, lots of pet hair, possible spills)
* cooling/ventilation (9.2 AVR)
* access (for physical media)
* visibility of displays
* aesthetics
* price
Whatever I use will either be below or to the side of a large flatscreen. If below then it will also support a typical center channel speaker so the furniture itself would have to be short but spacious enough to hold 7-8 components. The front mains are 42" tall.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions, photos and/or lessons learned!

This is what I have, which would address your concerns about ventilation, access, visibility, and price. I like the aesthetics, but that is purely subjective. The only issue from your list that remains would be dust / pet hair, but that should be easy enough to keep up with if you keep a swifter feather duster handy. (It would be tough to allow for both dust protection and ventilation at the same time.)

I built the shelf unit using dual 2-by-10s for each shelf and black pipe, making for a very heavy and sturdy unit while keeping the cost down and allowing for custom dimensions.

IMG_0813.jpeg

(It would be tough to allow for both dust protection and ventilation at the same time.)
Agree there.

I have used Sanus audio cabinets for 20 years and have been very pleased with their function and qualiy, but recently swapped out my tall cabinets for their open "euro" design EAF31-B1 series. Similar to what @mrcond designed and built, they are sturdy, open and somewhat versatile (you can buy posts that are longer in lieu of the standard). You can also put one together with more / less shelves if you buy more than one unit. Sanus stopped making all but the Euro series, for the most part. Unfortunate.

Screenshot_20230612_170922_Chrome.jpg

They also have a longer, lower profile stand in the same series, the EVAF40. That might be a good option for consideration also.

Screenshot_20230612_170842_Chrome.jpg

Crutchfield currently has the EAF31's on sale for $129.99. That's a good price.

https://www.crutchfield.com/cart/default.aspx?wm=tn1
Many many options out there. Keep us posted!

This is what I have, which would address your concerns about ventilation, access, visibility, and price. I like the aesthetics, but that is purely subjective. The only issue from your list that remains would be dust / pet hair, but that should be easy enough to keep up with if you keep a swifter feather duster handy. (It would be tough to allow for both dust protection and ventilation at the same time.)

I built the shelf unit using dual 2-by-10s for each shelf and black pipe, making for a very heavy and sturdy unit while keeping the cost down and allowing for custom dimensions.

View attachment 92646
Great craftsmanship and functionality. Thanks for sharing!

I have been using simple modular shelves I get at Walmart.

s2dio4lr1.jpg

I later changed what components are on that shelf.

qrack.jpg

The shelves my turntables and other vibration-sensitive devices are on are heavier.

As my basement flood repairs/renovation get to within 6 weeks of completion, I'm thinking about how to set up and stage my multi-channel and home theater components so I'd like to see what has worked for you all. It has literally been five years since I've used anything but a soundbar! I'm looking to balance the following:
* protection (dust, lots of pet hair, possible spills)
* cooling/ventilation (9.2 AVR)
* access (for physical media)
* visibility of displays
* aesthetics
* price
Whatever I use will either be below or to the side of a large flatscreen. If below then it will also support a typical center channel speaker so the furniture itself would have to be short but spacious enough to hold 7-8 components. The front mains are 42" tall.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions, photos and/or lessons learned!
Oh my... basement flooded. Sounds like you were forced into these renovations. Is this where your AV gear was before? And I hope none of it damaged. At any rate it sound you're at a good point in the project to fine tune the new set up.

I think the first decision is whether you want to look at your gear when watching/listening or minimize that. There is sure a practical aspect to using the multi-level stands as mentioned earlier. And great if you have big blue VU meters or whatever & you like looking at them. For myself that would be a distraction & draw my attention away from the music or movies. So my current set up is built into a wall just to the side of the left front speaker:

GEAR 2023.jpg

It is not that impressive as other set ups here... after decades of collecting equipment I went simple. The bottom 2 shelves hold 2 of my 3 Adcom 555 power amps. To left of the equipment rack is a doorway into the utility & work shop side of the Bassment. Also on that back side I have my 3rd Adcom 555 for sub woof & and Audiosource amp for center front. One of the nice things about this is completely accessible back side if I need to switch cables, etc. I like the vertical arrangement as it's easy to arrange boxes in a convenient height instead of bending over or kneeling in front of a low riser to put a disc in, whatever.

Of course whatever you choose now you just might change & refine as you go along. I certainly have. Before marriage I had this set up in post #633. And after getting married my 1st set up was all upstairs in the living room as shown in post #876. So things change. I guess the one constant is my gear has always been to the side so I could best pay attention the the music or movies.

Do keep us informed on your project! And maybe post some pics of this work in progress. That would be cool.

I couldn't find any suitable furniture that could support a TV (window behind it so it can't hang on the wall), house all the hardware and get the centre speaker at the height I wanted, so made it myself which was a fun project.

It's all 36mm pine so is stronger than it needs to be (always good) and made in 3 sections. The left and right sections are pretty much empty at the moment but I've taken a pic with one of the front covers off so you can see how I've constructed it. Plenty of room out the back on the left and right sides for cables + shelves could be added to house more gear in future if required.

If you go the homemade route, don't forget to post pics!

Attachments

• IMG_20230614_093554.jpg
    IMG_20230614_093554.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230614_093334_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230614_093334_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I couldn't find any suitable furniture that could support a TV (window behind it so it can't hang on the wall), house all the hardware and get the centre speaker at the height I wanted, so made it myself which was a fun project.

It's all 36mm pine so is stronger than it needs to be (always good) and made in 3 sections. The left and right sections are pretty much empty at the moment but I've taken a pic with one of the front covers off so you can see how I've constructed it. Plenty of room out the back on the left and right sides for cables + shelves could be added to house more gear in future if required.

You do good work! There's nothing like custom made to get just what you want.

I checked the gear in your profile. I've never heard of SVS speakers before. But then I don't read the audio mags like I used too. I am impressed checking their website. I bet they sound as good as they look.

You do good work! There's nothing like custom made to get just what you want.

I checked the gear in your profile. I've never heard of SVS speakers before. But then I don't read the audio mags like I used too. I am impressed checking their website. I bet they sound as good as they look.
Thanks! Yep, custom-made is good fun. I'd like to do more but don't really have the need so will wait until something breaks.

I did the SVS upgrade based solely on reviews (nowhere to try before you buy locally round these here parts) and they're a huge step up from the KEFs I had. Probably the best bang for buck down here in NZ. I'd need to spend probably three times as much to get something significantly better so will stick with them until I come across two million bucks with which to build a new house and upgrade to JTR's (dream on!):

JTR Noesis 215RT — JTR Speakers and JTR Captivator 4000ULF — JTR Speakers

I also went the DIY route, everything is in the build thread in my signature. Not sure if that’s your thing, though. It was a helluva lotta work, but I’m pleased with how it came out.

And, of course, I’m one of those guys who thinks his gear should be visible and accessible, so mine is. Some folks think otherwise, and that’s fine.

Oh my... basement flooded. Sounds like you were forced into these renovations. Is this where your AV gear was before? And I hope none of it damaged. At any rate it sound you're at a good point in the project to fine tune the new set up.

I think the first decision is whether you want to look at your gear when watching/listening or minimize that. There is sure a practical aspect to using the multi-level stands as mentioned earlier. And great if you have big blue VU meters or whatever & you like looking at them. For myself that would be a distraction & draw my attention away from the music or movies. So my current set up is built into a wall just to the side of the left front speaker:

View attachment 92675

It is not that impressive as other set ups here... after decades of collecting equipment I went simple. The bottom 2 shelves hold 2 of my 3 Adcom 555 power amps. To left of the equipment rack is a doorway into the utility & work shop side of the Bassment. Also on that back side I have my 3rd Adcom 555 for sub woof & and Audiosource amp for center front. One of the nice things about this is completely accessible back side if I need to switch cables, etc. I like the vertical arrangement as it's easy to arrange boxes in a convenient height instead of bending over or kneeling in front of a low riser to put a disc in, whatever.

Of course whatever you choose now you just might change & refine as you go along. I certainly have. Before marriage I had this set up in post #633. And after getting married my 1st set up was all upstairs in the living room as shown in post #876. So things change. I guess the one constant is my gear has always been to the side so I could best pay attention the the music or movies.

Do keep us informed on your project! And maybe post some pics of this work in progress. That would be cool.
Thanks both for sharing your setup and also for the pros/cons of component visibility!
Yes, the flood forced the ongoing renovation but fortunately nothing down there was valuable at the time. With the basement ripped up, I also took advantage of the chance to renovate the plumbing. Knock on wood for the future!

Thanks to all that contributed! Like Idid for my Denon AVR and Oppo player, I searched Facebook Marketplace and got this attractive Sanus rack for $70. It also leaves room for a few game consoles. I'll have to dim the displays but I'm pleased . . . at least for the time being. Once again, thanks to all for sharing!

Screenshot_20230613_222514_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Agree there.

I have used Sanus audio cabinets for 20 years and have been very pleased with their function and qualiy, but recently swapped out my tall cabinets for their open "euro" design EAF31-B1 series. Similar to what @mrcond designed and built, they are sturdy, open and somewhat versatile (you can buy posts that are longer in lieu of the standard). You can also put one together with more / less shelves if you buy more than one unit. Sanus stopped making all but the Euro series, for the most part. Unfortunate.

View attachment 92648

They also have a longer, lower profile stand in the same series, the EVAF40. That might be a good option for consideration also.

View attachment 92649

Crutchfield currently has the EAF31's on sale for $129.99. That's a good price.

https://www.crutchfield.com/cart/default.aspx?wm=tn1
Many many options out there. Keep us posted!
@LB-V Thanks for the Sanus suggestion. I wouldn't have found what I did without your suggestions!

I'm so impressed by you guys that build your own furniture. It must bring a lot of satisfaction!

Thanks to all that contributed! Like Idid for my Denon AVR and Oppo player, I searched Facebook Marketplace and got this attractive Sanus rack for $70. It also leaves room for a few game consoles. I'll have to dim the displays but I'm pleased . . . at least for the time being. Once again, thanks to all for sharing!

View attachment 92722
Seventy Buckaroos?! What deal!!
And it's vertical with lots of openess for good ventilation.
The only suggestion I might make is put wheelie casters on the bottom so you can easily rotate away from the wall if you need to get behind it. The legs look a little narrow for that so maybe a platform to mount the casters on?

Back