Mo Ostin, Longtime Warner Bros. Records Chief, Dies at 95

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tres Discrete

900 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Wow. This man more or less created the Warner Bros. that introduced me to dozens of artists, from the 60s to the 90s, that still stand as landmarks on my personal musical map. I'm guessing hundreds of QQers would say the same.
Yup…and to think he started as an Accountant(!) It was all about trust. He would sign artists or hire people he believed in & then trust them to do their thing...which is why when artists reached a point in their careers where they could go anywhere, they came to W.B. (See George Harrison, Clapton, Petty, RHCP, REM, etc). It worked for years & years & years until he was essentially forced out due to nonsensical corporate politics. On a brighter note, not everyone gets a personalized birthday ditty from George Harrison 🎂

"Mo was probably the most music conscious, music-centric chief executive of a record company in the rock and roll era," says Peter Ames Carlin, the author of Sonic Boom: The Impossible Rise of Warner Bros. Records, from Hendrix to Fleetwood Mac to Madonna to Prince. Ames says, when Ostin took over Warner, he told his employees to change their approach. "He sat them down and he said, 'Look we need to stop trying to make hit records. Let's just make good records and turn those into hits.' "

I hadn’t heard that last line, but I do remember an A&R veteran in the NYC office tell me in the ‘90’s that “back in the day” they would have an annual dinner & give an award to the person that signed an artist that was a critic’s darling, but sold the LEAST that year 🥳

Back