HiRez Poll Moody Blues - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Moody Blues - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM

• Total voters
What a nice little album! Picked it up on the cheap. I’ve never heard this one before. Was never much of a Moodys fan. The only albums of theirs I’ve ever owned until this one was DOFP and Long Distance Voyager

It’s different than I thought it would be. Some nice little synth-y proggish type passages but most of the songs sound dated even for 1969. If I didn’t know, I would think this was written/recorded before DOFP. It’s sounds more mid-60s to me.

As far as the mix goes—-I like the quad mix. Not sure why they even bother calling it 5.1. I don’t hear much of anything in the center speaker at all. But it does seem to support the “phantom center” a bit?

I can’t speak for the fidelity compared to earlier versions. Never heard them. But it’s just OK. This is no Abbey Road . But this surround disc sounds much better than the horribly muddy DOFP.

I’ll give it a “7” overall. But I can understand why so many people love it. It seems like a “grower” for sure!

Last edited:
A very atmospheric Moodies venture. I'd rate this at least a 7 overall, maybe an 8. Just to have! Combine this in your collection with the MoFi and you'll be happy.

<goes off to vote>

edit: Ok, changed it to 8 considering the IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD surround, which I put at 7. In response to a post five years ago, yea! We got a surround LOST :SB

The surround mix and fidelity of this SACD wipes the floor with what we got on ISOTLC. Fidelity wise, it is the best of the MB classic seven. The revelation and opening up of the mix on Lovely To See You is worth the price alone of this SACD; and the dynamic range of Never Comes The Day is remarkable. The weird stuff at the end of the album is only done justice by quad. I use this disc as a demo for people that have only had the stereo version and they are awed by it. It's a 12 out of 10 for me.

Back