HiRez Poll Moody Blues, The - TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Moody Blues - TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new 5-disc deluxe edition of the classic Moody Blues album "To Our Children's Children's Children".
The deluxe edition includes a Blu-Ray Audio disc that not only features a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album from one of QQ's favorite mixing engineers, @Stephen W Tayler, but Stephen has also remixed the Moodies' 1969 show at the Royal Albert Hall in 5.1 surround too!

Please note, this deluxe edition does NOT contain the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix of the album that formed the basis of the Multichannel SACD edition, released in 2006

(y) :)(n)

71YpRGYeemL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

ef836bf2-ee92-4f97-839a-be672ba7bf6c_1280x1280.jpg

This 5.1 has more of an "in your face" presentation that the original quad SACD. However, I wouldn't call it brighter sounding than the quad SACD. The quad is one of the two best sounding MB quads (The other being On The Threshold Of A Dream), and is a tough act to follow. Both the quad and this new 5.1 are excellent, so take your pick. I'm keeping both versions on the hard drive.

A lot of this new 5.1 mix very much seems derived from the quad master...as it should be. For example, the movement of instrumentation on the track Eyes Of A Child are identical to the quad, and I can't see any reason to do it differently. However, there are elements in this new mix that are definitely different than the quad, including some things on Eyes Of A Child. I would also say that this new mix has more 'psychedelic feel' than the quad mix.

A major improvement, and one that was my greatest hope, is the 5.1 of Gypsy. The recording of this song on both the stereo and the quad always sounded reticent compared to the other songs on the album. This new mix pretty much fixes that problem; and the song has an (the?) alternate vocal ending which helps with the more psychedelic feel of the new 5.1.

Yeah, there will people with some complaints about this new 5.1 mix, and a lot of it has to do with listening the stereo and the quad of this record like 10,000 times and not hearing what they are used to.

The old quad SACD is a 10.
This new 5.1 is a 10.
And being a rabid MB fan, my granddaughter playing these songs on a kazoo would be a 10.

Out And In: This is another winner on the new 5.1 in comparison to the quad. While Pinder's vocals on the quad are impressive...coming from all around... the instrumentation is somewhat muted in comparison. The 5.1 mix of this song is more balanced. Also, Stephen worked a little bit of magic with the vocals to give the song a more psychedelic feel. Wanna know what he did? Pony up.

I am pleased to report that I have relapsed to the days where I play the MBs religiously. Today I messed around with upmixing this new release using Auromatic. I usually upmix with Auro 3D (5.1.5) and rarely use Auro 2D (7.1). Well, with Auro 2D upmixing to 7.1 applied, the depth of the rear sound stage was remarkable...truly a psychedelic experience.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

A job well done by @Stephen W Tayler ! This new 5.1 mix sounds beautiful. (I refer to the studio album, haven't listened to the live portion yet). Very discrete and it fills up the space very nicely. Fidelity is quite good for a fifty-four year old recording. I can understand why some folks might be reluctant to pull the trigger on this one given the high price, especially for those of us in the USA who have to import a copy but I would say you can buy with confidence. (You can currently get it from Amazon for $74 and Burning Shed still has it in stock for £59.99). Need to give it a couple more listens but it certainly isn't anything less than a 9, possibly a 10. (y)

The studio portion of this disc is very good, nice mix and IMHO much better than the Quad mix.

The live portion though nice to have is a pretty straight live presentation not much action surround mix. The Moodies could play the arsenal off the songs live. There is probably a little too much reverb on the vocals on the live album for a top mark.

Studio album 9 live album performance 9 mix 6.
Treating that as a bonus so 9 for the whole lot.

Back