Muse-HAARP(brilliant a must have)-Dts 5.1 on it

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I am surprised or at least don't think anyone has mentioned this title here,maybe its like me people didn't know that there was a DTS full concert video as part of this cd package and its cheap to get as well. I am liking this band more and more as they are a excellent mashup of Radiohead with a good dose of Queen thrown in.
One important note is the Dvd is in PAL format(my Oppo's play it fine, then tried it in my older Denon Dvd player and it didn't like it).

I found the following review very helpful and after watching/listening to HAARP its a very accurate summary:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/dvd/muse/haarp_live_at_wembley/index.html

Sound: If ever a band has been able to live up to the hype, Muse has done it. You can get an inkling of the band’s talent from singles like “Knights Of Cydonia” and “Starlight,” but the live show seen on the new DVD/CD H.A.A.R.P. takes everything up a notch. Although bassist Christopher Wolstenholme and drummer Dominic Howard are given plenty of camera time, the main attraction is the multi-talented frontman Matthew Bellamy. He’s got a lot going for him besides astounding vocal range, and the DVD H.A.A.R.P. brings that all to light. Between the amazing guitar solos and his classical trained piano work, Bellamy delivers the ultimate concert experience.

H.A.A.R.P. (which stands for High Frequency Active Aural Research Program) includes 2 disks, with the first disk being an audio CD of Muse’s June 16, 2007, show at Wembley Stadium. The second disk is the DVD, which contains 20 songs from the June 17 show and runs about 90 minutes long. The audio CD isn’t the exact same show as you’ll get on the DVD, so it’s worth a listen to hear some variances. But the CD still only gives you a glimpse of the full visual DVD experience, which features enhanced coloring to the images, a massive backdrop showing what only could be described as a universe exploding, and most importantly, a memorable performance by Muse.

On both the audio and the video portion, the band enters onstage to a cinematic string composition, with the DVD featuring an extra cool visual touch. Most everything (including the audience) is colored in black and white, with the one exception of the some brightly colored wardrobe on the band members. Eventually the color all fades in and you get the entire spectrum of colors. It’s all very dramatic and quite fitting for the massive production the band is about to deliver. When you follow that up immediately with the larger-than-life “Knights Of Cydonia” (complete with trumpets), you’ve got the perfect entrance.

The band has some incredible moments, with “Supermassive Black Hole,” “New Born,” and “Plug In Baby” being standouts. Guitar-wise, “New Born” features some of the most impressive moments, and the cameramen provide some brilliant shots that bounce between Bellamy’s tapping technique to his foot going wild on the pedal below. Bellamy is a genius on the guitar, which is particularly impressive considering he is doing vocals that are just as challenging through it all. It’s not all about Bellamy’s electric guitar abilities, either. Muse shows off its softer side in the jazzy standard “Feeling Good,” which also displays Bellamy’s classically trained piano skills. The band isn’t afraid to rein things in tempo-wise in several songs, and even some of the encore songs are centered around an acoustic. // 10

Content: In terms of bonus material, you don’t get any extras like a documentary or behind-the-scenes material on the general release (there are limited edition releases with extra material). The concert portion is pretty lengthy, however, and it’s definitely more entertaining than many live DVD shows. It would have insightful to see how exactly the band created the massive production or even hear a bit about the art direction, but music is the central focus on H.A.A.R.P. and that should likely be enough for fans. // 9

Production Quality: The colors are so dynamic on the DVD that it does command your attention, even when the band isn’t moving around much. I’m not sure if that effect was a direct result of the cameras used or completed in the editing room, but it’s absolutely gorgeous. There are plenty of aerial shots throughout the concert as well, and it’s obvious the people who made this video went to great lengths to get the best imagery possible. // 10

Impression: It’s hard to not be amazed by the entire production on the H.A.A.R.P. DVD. Even without the pyrotechnics and monstrous backdrop, Bellamy is simply a master at everything he does. Play piano? Check. Shred like Eddie Van Halen? Check. Sing higher than most girls I know? Check. And even more impressive, the man writes solid songs with riffs that stand up against the best out there. It’s almost impossible to not be a fan of Muse (or at least respect the musicianship in the band) by the end of H.A.A.R.P. // 9

But how is the mix? Audience-like, or actually immersive music-wise?

The mix is well done, it is like most concert video's mostly things coming out from the front speakers but I found it to be a very engaging mix, I highly enjoyed it.
If it was lossless would be even better but the mix is strong enough that I am very happy to have this in Dts.
I recently got Foo Fighter's-Live from Wembley Bluray and it's video is clearer being bluray but I wouldn't say that it's mix is any better sound wise even though its a lossless recording.

peter

You must be careful with the Boxed Set - not all of them have the 5.1 mix included, apparently.
I tried to get one at a local fair - still sealed - but there was no mention of it in the packaging so I asked them to open it up & look (which they did, bless them) and all there was on DVD was a "making of" documentary - like the one in the CD/DVD edition, and no 5.1 mix at all to be seen.

Great tip on the show, Peter - I will go grab myself a copy.

I picked this up after reading Peter's original post and certainly cannot complain about the value on offer - $12.99 for the CD/DVD set. Is it just me or is this show bland to the point of being boring? I mean I like Muse and all, but I can't recall seeing anything as sterile as this in a long time. I'm sure they're good musicians and all but this is ridiculous. Reminds me of Frampton Comes Alive, where most if not all of the playing was redone in the studio in the interests of presenting a supposedly flawless performance. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Back