Nautilus - or maybe it's Mobile Fidelity - Quad Mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndiamone

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I was at a buddy's house Saturday night for a good ole-fashioned ``listening party'' - he's not a member here yet cuz he's not exactly what you'd call a ``quadrophile'' - he just has one in his basement. Kinda like `I ain't a doctor I just play one in the movies.''

He has a Stanton 780DQ cartridge and Shibata stylus on a Technics SP-10 piped through a Marantz 4444 to four Tannoy speakers rescued out of an old recording studio that went belly up.

He had on one of the half-speed-mastereds of Supertramp's Breakfast in America and in
Goodbye Stranger I noticed the fingersnaps before
`Some they will and some they won't. And some you just can't tell.
CLEARLY come from left and right rear and not in the front at all (well maybe barely).

The Logical Song has some of that too - the rattle in the beginning of the song is in right rear and for a couple bars the drum kit wanders back and forth between left rear and right rear but very little in the front, same with the handclaps in the right rear and the guitars split left and right rear for a couple bars in the first verse.

In Take the Long Way Home the mouth harp wanders back and forth between extreme rear center til about the middle of the room and back to far rear center again. But the sax is in left rear on Take the Long Way Home and barely at all in the front, same with the tradeoffs with the mouth organ on the right rear.

I got home and put on my normal LP, and the mix is so close together it's almost mono - fingersnaps seem about 11 and 1 if that, drum only wanders a teeny bit and the little handlcaps and etc are barely off center and the mouth organ just goes from mostly echoes to echoes and main equal percentages back to mostly echoes again, and the sax is just a little bit off left center with the mouth organ a teeny bit off right in the main bridge.

I had read years ago that they had mixed some of those tunes on that album for matrix quad (doesn't say which kind) but they never used `em for anything just laying around gathering dust. I was just wondering if Nautilus or Mobile Fidelity or whoever ended up with a master tape to cut from that had a pre-encoded song or two on it.

Next up was the Heart Dreamboat Annie One bass left rear the other bass right rear on Magic Man and drum kit spinning around in circles for a couple fills here and there and the Moog wanders from left rear to left front in a couple places.

In Crazy on You Nancy's acoustic opens in the far right rear and Steve's bass opens in the far left front before coming back to left and right front and drum kit spins a few fills around in a circle.

Anybody know?

Back