Neil Young - working on Atmos versions of “all my old albums”

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil always gets fired up for the new stuff, but then peters out.

Remember DVD-Audio? He held back some of his LPs from CD until DVD-Audio appeared
Remember the Pono? HiRez for the masses
Remember the Super-Saturated DVD discs?
Remember the Achives Vol 1 BluRay, with the perpetual timeline that would be added to FOREVER? With future Volumes to include BluRay audio as well as the online feature?

I love Neil and his music, and as a performer, but his attention span is like mine! ;)
Jon, Personally I'll take a pass.
I feel much of Neil's past adventures in the promotion of new technology has
been very focused on fattening his wallet with little interest in the end customer's
well being. The Pono player was a big a snake-oil hustle as I can ever remember
being played on the HiFi community.
Just my opinion, but one I believe which has a lot of experience behind it.
Once (or 2-3 times) bitten, many times shy.
Sal1950

I might wait and see what the early adopters here have to say about any re-releases, but assuming it happens at all, I’m excited.

I took a few screenshots during the NYA Patrons Zoom call that showed NY in his Atmos listening room (which is why I know it’s 11.4.something), but it’s probably not appropriate to share any here. I can probably figure out how to put one in a private area at my Flickr account if folks want to check out his Atmos setup. Let me know.

The listening room is very compact, and perhaps that is by design so that sound from all of the speakers is near field.

Last edited:
From a posting by Neil Young to the NYA Times Contrarian today (NeilYoungArchives.Com):

“Tomorrow i will probably take my F-150 Ford Lightning to the new surf shack where i am working with Niko, my ‘Volume Dealers,’ partner, on making all my old albums in Dolby Atmos / Apple Spatial so the next generation can hear them…”

There was also a Zoom call with NYA Patrons today, with NY appearing from his Atmos listening room (11.4.something). He said he was working (in that room) on finishing 10 Atmos album mixes (this month). Specifically he mentioned Comes a Time and Rust Never Sleeps (and one other that I’m forgetting now) as being part of the 10. Oh, now I remember, Zuma was the 3rd.

For NY fans, he said he owns Hank William’s original guitar (whatever that means?) and will be using it on an upcoming tour. That guitar and “Old Black” are his favorites. He’s also working on both Volumes 3 and 4 of the archives, with plans to release Vol 3 this year.

Oh, and I just noticed a posting at the Contrarian that confirms that the “BBC Live” disc from the 50th Anniversary Harvest Box has an audio problem. Buyers can send a photo of their disc and/or a copy of the receipt to get a replacement.
Here's some info on NY's Hank guitar (which I saw and played at his guitar tech's studio). Great Acoustics: Hank Williams’ Other Martin Guitar

Last edited:
These are kind of an odd mixed bag for me so far - the acoustic tracks ("Only Love Can Break Your Heart", "Crime In The City", etc) are great for the most part, but the heavier electric stuff like "Southern Man" or "Rockin' In The Free World" sounds harsh and over-compressed.

Some odd spatial positioning choices too, like having NY's voice at equal volume in the front & rear channels throughout "Don't Let It Bring You Down" while the band is mostly upfront.

I checked out Zuma and On the Beach. I need to hear them again. First impression...I thought they were okay.

I've found that most of the NY albums available in Atmos (on Apple Music), apart from Harvest, are very bass shy. I am listening to Atmos as 5.1 but that shouldn't make a difference. If I go back to other Atmos albums that I know, there is no issue with the bottom end.

Is this just following the artistic choices of the original albums?

Back