New Deep Purple box for Machine Head

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 3 surround mixes of Machine Head:
1- UK SQ/Q8 Quad mix, rereleased as EU SACD, DVD-V (in Machine Head Box), SQ encoded CD (in Machine Head Box)
2- US Quad mix CD-4, Q8, Q4
3- US DVD-A 5.1 mix, rereleased as the Japan SACD

I wasn't aware that the US and UK QUADs are different. Will have to find time to compare someday soon.

1- UK SQ Quad, rereleased as SACD, DVD-V (in Machine Head Box), SQ encoded CD (in Machine Head Box)
3- US DVD-A 5.1 mix

Whoa, I thought that the DVD-A mix was the US Quad mix...weird...
Anyway, I prefer the UK Quad mix (SACD)...it is more..quad!!!!

Whoa, I thought that the DVD-A mix was the US Quad mix...weird...
Anyway, I prefer the UK Quad mix (SACD)...it is more..quad!!!!

the Rhino Machine Head DVD-A is a year-2000 5.1 remix from the multitracks, from the same team that did many other Warner DVD-A 5.1 remixes, including the Yes/Fragile, both Foreigner albums in 5.1, the ELP BSS & both Chicago & Chicago V (produced by John Kellogg & mixed by Paul Klingberg).

these guys' work often gets a bad rap but I don't agree, I think most of the time their mixes are fun, adventurous and engaging, they're certainly never afraid to steer stuff around and behind you. they're not the best guys around (hello, Mr.ES! :p) but I enjoy what they did with those old albums a lot more than say what Ken Scott did with Ziggy...

1- UK SQ Quad, rereleased as SACD, DVD-V (in Machine Head Box), SQ encoded CD (in Machine Head Box)
3- US DVD-A 5.1 mix

Don't forget that the US DVD-A 5.1 mix (3) got re-issued by Warner Japan as a SACD...

If you listen to Smoke On the Water immediate differences from the start are:

UK Quad - Guitars discrete in the rears, bass in front
5.1 Mix - Guitars in front, double tracked with reverb/echo in rear
US Quad - Guitars in front , bass in rear

I would be more interested if it was "Fireball" or "In Rock". Machine Head has been done.
The Quadfather

I second that and add...I think it's a damn shame that all of these releases are at the behest of Roger Glover. I met and interviewed him for a canadian radio station in '97. He's an interesting bloke and all but he has a definite hate on for the albums and line-ups of Deep Purple that came about after he was replaced. My point? Don't expect to ever see that DVD-Audio of "Burn"; that's long been in the can and ready to go, to ever be released. It joins that list of albums that disappeared into the ether after the labels ran for the exits...

Back