New Deep Purple box for Machine Head

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have the DVD Audio and the CD-4 version. I like the CD-4 version the best. I also have a DTS copy (I forgot where I got it from) that appears to be ripped from the reel to reel version. That recording has hit just about every multichannel format. Let's see we have:
CD-4
SQ
Q8
Reel to Reel
DVD Audio
SACD
And in my case, DTS. Oh, I guess it missed UD-4 and QS. I guess Tubular Bells has one up on it.
I'll pass.
The Quadfather

..now that I think about it...they will probably source the DTS 96/24 version from the SACD, if I know the sleazy music business...
anyone agree with me???

His anybody heard Smoke on the Water (Cha Cha Cha) by Senor Coconut? It's a great cover, out of left field. I grinned ear to ear when it came on in one of my mix CD's yesterday. If you like Kraftwerk, there is El Baile Aleman, an album of their songs. Perhaps this belongs on another thread...

Here's a live version from Tokyo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puc0ZiVRESU

Single:
51evzsVGA4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Album:
senor-coconut.jpg
1. Smoke On The Water (ChaChaCha) (4:47)
2. Negra Mi ChaChaCha (ChaChaCha) (3:20)
3. Riders On The Storm (Merengue) (5:02)
4. Smooth Operator (Mambo ChaChaCha) (4:02)
5. El Rey De Las Galletas (Guaguanco) (3:24)
6. Oxygene (Part II) (Mambo ChaChaCha) (3:34)
7. Blue Eyes (Bolero) (3:54)
8. Las Maracas De Machín (ChaChaCha) (2:59)
9. Beat It (Merengue) (3:52)
10. Electrolatino (Mambo ChaChaCha) (4:41)
11. Humo En El Agua (ChaChaCha) (4:46)

His anybody heard Smoke on the Water (Cha Cha Cha) by Senor Coconut? It's a great cover, out of left field. I grinned ear to ear when it came on in one of my mix CD's yesterday. If you like Kraftwerk, there is El Baile Aleman, an album of their songs. Perhaps this belongs on another thread...

Here's a live version from Tokyo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puc0ZiVRESU

Single:
View attachment 6870

Album:
View attachment 6869
1. Smoke On The Water (ChaChaCha) (4:47)
2. Negra Mi ChaChaCha (ChaChaCha) (3:20)
3. Riders On The Storm (Merengue) (5:02)
4. Smooth Operator (Mambo ChaChaCha) (4:02)
5. El Rey De Las Galletas (Guaguanco) (3:24)
6. Oxygene (Part II) (Mambo ChaChaCha) (3:34)
7. Blue Eyes (Bolero) (3:54)
8. Las Maracas De Machín (ChaChaCha) (2:59)
9. Beat It (Merengue) (3:52)
10. Electrolatino (Mambo ChaChaCha) (4:41)
11. Humo En El Agua (ChaChaCha) (4:46)

Thank you Linda, this made my day...excellent arrangements too....
Smilin' kitty over here!

Is there anyway that this box set will be released in the US for a reasonable price? (ie. $50 or under)

amazon.com = $80

Not interested in getting it from amazon.ca at this point as it will cost an extra $10 for shipping, and for some reason I cannot order this from amazon.co.uk

Just listened to the QUAD mix on the DVD-A last night. TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME!!!

Just listened to the QUAD mix on the DVD-A last night. TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME!!!

the Warner DVD-A is a "new" re-mix into 5.1 from the multi-track master tapes.

the EMI SA-CD that came out a couple of years after the DVD-A, is a transfer of the old UK Quad mix (which is the same as the surround mix in the newer box set).

to add to the complication/confusion, there is another mix (USA Quad) that reputedly blows all others out of the water but I've yet to hear it.

:yikes eek! ..I didn't see that coming.. DTS of the exact same thing sounding better than the SA-CD..!? :mad:@:
yes, that was one of the threads I started, just to find out if the DTS is a rip from the SACD or a REAL transfer...and yes, I prefer the DTS 96/24 to the SACD , at least it goes up to 11, I mean , 48 K (Mind you there ARE SACDs that go up to 48 but it's a minority and there is too much "garbage up there to make it sound as clean as a good DTS 96/24....)

yes, that was one of the threads I started, just to find out if the DTS is a rip from the SACD or a REAL transfer...and yes, I prefer the DTS 96/24 to the SACD , at least it goes up to 11, I mean , 48 K (Mind you there ARE SACDs that go up to 48 but it's a minority and there is too much "garbage up there to make it sound as clean as a good DTS 96/24....)

so the DVD in the box isn't just a straight transfer of the final SA-CD but is in fact the source transferred to DTS 96/24! I think I better get that box after all...

Now I'm confused...

How many official surround mixes are there for this album?
I have a copy of a Q4 tape (which is a higher fidelity copy of the same mix found on the Q8 tape I also used to have a copy of). I've always liked this mix. Haven't really gone back to the stereo since. Deep Purple in 4 speakers is better than Deep Purple in 2 right? What I mean is I like the use of the extended headroom (ie double the channels) for rock music like this.

I agree with the comments on its shortcomings BTW but it still wins for me.

But there were 2 different quad mixes? Which one do I have then?

Then I picked up this official looking DVDA in early 2000's. There was a 5.1 remix that sounded to me like a quick mix knocked out by some studio intern. A lot of the early 2000's surround remixes for DVDA sound this way to me. Like someone decided you can't release a DVDA without a surround mix and anything will do to fill the slot. More or less stereo with awkward reverb in the back and no attention to detail in the mix. I wondered if I had actually bought a bootleg at first!

But there's now another newer 5.1 mix that's legit?

This box set with all the 16 bit CD's and lossy DTS looks pretty scammy...

So there are 4 mixes?
1. UK quad
2. USA quad
3. early 2000's 5.1 remix
4. newer 5.1 remix

so the DVD in the box isn't just a straight transfer of the final SA-CD but is in fact the source transferred to DTS 96/24! I think I better get that box after all...

Actually my question still remains unanswered...
I DON'T know if the DTS version from the boxset is a direct transfer from the SACD (which , knowing the lazyasses at EMI, it's probably the case...)
OR a
NEW transfer to DTS 96/24...in which case I DEFINITELY buy the box....

the Warner DVD-A is a "new" re-mix into 5.1 from the multi-track master tapes.

the EMI SA-CD that came out a couple of years after the DVD-A, is a transfer of the old UK Quad mix (which is the same as the surround mix in the newer box set).

to add to the complication/confusion, there is another mix (USA Quad) that reputedly blows all others out of the water but I've yet to hear it.

I prefer the UK quad mix (SACD) to the US quad mix and the 5.1 mix, but I have a "not so good" xfer from Q4 of the US mix so its probably not a fair comparison. AFAIK - there isn't a 4th mix right???

Just to really confuse folks:
1. I like to listen to the UK Mix (in the car) converted from SACD to DVD-A :steering:. Not including the bonus tracks - as they are watermarked...
2. I have the 5.1 mix on the Japan SACD (same as the old DVD-A)... interestingly its not watermarked, so I could re-create a DVD-A...

It'd be interesting to compare the new DTS to my SACD to DVD-A conversion...

"I'm a Highway star"

Back