Dual Disc New Springsteen album "Devils & Dust" to be DualDisc release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dprokopy

(Haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but I've been gone for a week and haven't been keeping up on here...)

From the semi-official Springsteen fan site Backstreets.com: http://backstreets.com/news.html

Looks like, as with the forthcoming Ben Folds release, this will ONLY be released as a DualDisc (i.e., no separate CD-only version), in both the standard and "delux" packaging. Since both Springsteen and Folds are on Sony, I wonder if this is their new trend. Seems like quite a risk, given the relatively high number of players that don't seem to like DualDiscs.

No word on whether the Springsteen (or Folds) album will be true DVD-A or simply Dolby 5.1. Either way, this is still great news for surround fans, and as far as I can tell this is probably the most high-profile DualDisc release I've seen coming down the pipe so far... :banana:

Well... I like the fact there is a 5.1 multichannel mix. However, I'd be shocked if it had any true hi-rez DVD-Audio MLP 5.1 tracks seeing as it's a Columbia release.

I thought maybe the Deluxe package would be a separate CD & DVD, but nope; it gets a DualDisc, too. Still... if the multi-channel is done well it'll likely get "non-concert video surround sound music" exposed to some new customers.

I'm not a huge Springsteen fan; thus, I'm not intending to buy this album.

Ironically, if by some slim chance it included DVD-Audio MLP at even, say, 48 kHz/ 24 bits, I'd probably end up buying it some day---so long as it's stocked in stores. (I often buy stuff that I'm not totally in love with whenever the product is available locally. You know, that money just burns a hole in yer pocket if ya don't spend it, right?) But if it's just Dolby Digital 5.1, then that's not good enough.

Back