New Star Trek

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlarJotunn

WARNING, SPOILERS

(n)(n)
Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.
The fact that I enjoyed the movie so much makes me hate it even more. This would have been one of the coolest prequels ever! But instead it's some unrelated alternate timeline. jj abrams, I want to punch you in the face!

Just had to let this out.

I've heard nothing but good things. I'm not a Treckkie so I can go in with no preconceived notions about what it should or shouldn't be.

I saw it and thought it was great. Yeah, they really RESET the entire Star Trek franchise, and yes there are plot holes but I thought it was great. I can't wait to see it again (even if that means waiting for the Blu-Ray).

It's an interesting angle to twist a time-line in a story line as beloved as Star Trek TOS, but this really opens up the stale franschise for many more sequels with this cast, which I though was perfect. All I can say is "MORE SCOTTY!!!" :D

These guys will be cranking out movies for a long time.

From the reviews I've read the whole alternate dimension/timeline thing was started to AVOID possible conflicts with such a well-loved franchise. So now when somebody points out a continuity error, they can just say "it's an alternate dimension".

Same deal with the Terminator TV series.

Hi guys,

I love most of the Star Trek series, but I don't consider myself a religious Trekkie.

I saw the new film on Wednesday, and I think it's a very good SF/Action movie when viewed out of Trek context. And it's also a really intriguing and clever twist to branch off an alternate timeline even before the original series.

So far, the time travel theories in the Trek series were based on key events that - when altered by a time traveler - would change the course of history. And so far, each and every time our Star Trek heroes somehow managed to undo the "damage" to the supposedly correct timeline when someone meddled with it. And the timeline was considered the right one if it played out as if no one from the future altered it.

There were episodes with an endless number of parallel universes with different timelines where historic events played out differently (like the "Mirror Universe" episodes). But this was not through manipulation by a time traveler.

Now for the first time we have the situation that a "tarnished" timeline is left that way without being "restored" to its correct course of history. As a consequence, all the Star Trek series - except Enterprise, which pre-dates TOS - basically never happened. So I can understand that there must be many Trekkies who are not happy about this and just feel that J.J. Abrams has kicked them in the nuts - hard!

Personally, I'm a bit undecided whether to congratulate Abrams for this stroke of genious, or if I should condemn him to a life sentence of hard labour at Rura Pente.

But in the end we all have to take a deep breath, take a step back, and view Star Trek - in all incarnations - for what it is: good entertainment!

And after all: it's SF, and they have time travel! Who's to say that the timeline won't be restored in one of the next films; maybe some Starfleet temporal agents from the future will undo the damage done... :D

Best regards,
Oliver

Question for those who have seen the movie:
Is Captain Christopher Pike mentioned?
He was the captain of the Enterprise in the original Pilot for the TV series, not James Kirk....
(The actor didn't think it would go so turned the role down for the series.)

Just wondering if they got that right.....

From the reviews I've read the whole alternate dimension/timeline thing was started to AVOID possible conflicts with such a well-loved franchise. So now when somebody points out a continuity error, they can just say "it's an alternate dimension".

Or because of Quantum.
(If it seriously worries you, increase dosage of Dried Frog Pills)

Question for those who have seen the movie:
Is Captain Christopher Pike mentioned?
Absolutely! He's also the captain of the Enterprise in the new movie. He's played by Bruce Greenwood.

I won't tell you what happens to him in the end, because I don't want to spoil it for you in case you want to watch the movie yourself.

Best regards,
Oliver

Absolutely! He's also the captain of the Enterprise in the new movie. He's played by Bruce Greenwood.

I won't tell you what happens to him in the end, because I don't want to spoil it for you in case you want to watch the movie yourself.

Best regards,
Oliver

It took me a few scenes to realize that this part was played by Bruce Greenwood, who stared in one of my favorite "cult" TV series, "Nowhere Man"!

I agree that it's a good action movie, even though I thought the villain was basically recycled from Star Trek Nemesis. I just don't see the reason to start up a new timeline. JJ Abrams was given complete control over the 23rd century, but instead he has to go and make his own entire universe. What saddens me most is that there will probably never be more Star Trek movies or TV series set in the original universe, as this new one is clearly more profitable. If they were able to somehow make this into say a trilogy (it's very Star Wars to begin with) that in the end wraps up the alternate timeline and brings it back to the original one, I would be extremely impressed and say it's some of the best Trek ever made. I really don't see this happening though.

Pardon my ignorance but wasn't /isn't Star Trek a story where humans travel quickly through vast Galaxies and meet other new civilisations (Aliens) that seem to have little problem understanding American English?

Pardon my ignorance but wasn't /isn't Star Trek a story where humans travel quickly through vast Galaxies and meet other new civilisations (Aliens) that seem to have little problem understanding American English?

Thanks to the universal translator. What a handy little device. ;)

dont quote me on this:eek: but don't all the entities in the (real or unreal) future have 'universal translator' chips implanted in their brains?:eek::smokin

dont quote me on this:eek: but don't all the entities in the (real or unreal) future have 'universal translator' chips implanted in their brains?:eek::smokin

I know the Ferengi have them implanted deep into their ear, but I'm not sure if it connects to the brain or not. I think it just translates the audio and plays it into their ear. I guess all dialog is mono for them.

edit: I just realized the irony of that quote. Sorry westgate! :mad:@:

Last edited:
"I know the Ferengi have them implanted deep into their ear, but I'm not sure if it connects to the brain or not. I think it just translates the audio and plays it into their ear. I guess all dialog is mono for them."
=======================================================
hey, life's a b!t(h! :smokin

I saw it tonight and liked it a lot. The story element I take issue with is Spock getting it on with a subordinate crew member. I always regarded Spock as too professional an officer to engage in fraternization.

Justin

Back