The Hard Way: John Waite documentary (The Babys, Bad English)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I watched this yesterday and I thought it was an interesting but lacking overview of his career. I was too young to know of The Babys' music when they were around and I hadn't heard anything else of his apart from Missing You and the first Bad English album.

I firmly believe that the documentary only came about as a way for John to fight lockdown boredom and to keep himself from going bonkers. I can understand that he may have resentment towards the other members of The Babys and Bad English, but the fact that not one single member of these bands (and let's face it, two of these members were part of both bands) makes the narrative pretty much one sided. The film's poster lists both bands but the film covers only John's view of The Babys' history and nothing about Bad English's at all. He also barely covers his 80's solo albums and again, apart from Neil Geraldo, nobody is interviewed or mentioned. That being said, I really enjoyed the film for what it is and will be exploring both The Babys' and John's catalogs as there is enjoyable music in there for sure.

I was surprised to learn he'd been part of a Ringo All Starr Band tour (along with Colin Hay and Sheila E.) and that he'd recorded with Alisson Krauss.

All in all, the film really makes one see how passionate Waite is about writing music and performing it live. It's worth a watch.

This can be streamed on many different platforms (Prime, Google, maybe others as well)

JohnWaite_The Hard Way Poster.jpeg

I watched this yesterday and I thought it was an interesting but lacking overview of his career. I was too young to know of The Babys' music when they were around and I hadn't heard anything else of his apart from Missing You and the first Bad English album.

I firmly believe that the documentary only came about as a way for John to fight lockdown boredom and to keep himself from going bonkers. I can understand that he may have resentment towards the other members of The Babys and Bad English, but the fact that not one single member of these bands (and let's face it, two of these members were part of both bands) makes the narrative pretty much one sided. The film's poster lists both bands but the film covers only John's view of The Babys' history and nothing about Bad English's at all. He also barely covers his 80's solo albums and again, apart from Neil Geraldo, nobody is interviewed or mentioned. That being said, I really enjoyed the film for what it is and will be exploring both The Babys' and John's catalogs as there is enjoyable music in there for sure.

I was surprised to learn he'd been part of a Ringo All Starr Band tour (along with Colin Hay and Sheila E.) and that he'd recorded with Alisson Krauss.

All in all, the film really makes one see how passionate Waite is about writing music and performing it live. It's worth a watch.

This can be streamed on many different platforms (Prime, Google, maybe others as well)

View attachment 90531

I had some of the same feelings as you. It was OK, but it wasn’t as comprehensive as I was hoping for. I certainly didn’t expect a half-hour of chat about Bad English for example, but I don’t think he gave us “the best of what I got” on that topic. (So, so sorry. I’ll see myself out.)

It wouldn’t surprise me if more had been recorded, it just got cut with lots of other material. I have to remember that most docs like this are not designed to do a deep dive into a full career.

Generally speaking with music docs, I could be really happy with a 4-hour film that goes into every album, every band lineup, etc. But it seems like so many of these go to film festivals to find distribution. A massively long doc on most artists probably isn’t going to generate a lot of distributor interest, nor will it fit nicely for a limited theater run.

I had some of the same feelings as you. It was OK, but it wasn’t as comprehensive as I was hoping for. I certainly didn’t expect a half-hour of chat about Bad English for example, but I don’t think he gave us “the best of what I got” on that topic. (So, so sorry. I’ll see myself out.)

It wouldn’t surprise me if more had been recorded, it just got cut with lots of other material. I have to remember that most docs like this are not designed to do a deep dive into a full career.

Generally speaking with music docs, I could be really happy with a 4-hour film that goes into every album, every band lineup, etc. But it seems like so many of these go to film festivals to find distribution. A massively long doc on most artists probably isn’t going to generate a lot of distributor interest, nor will it fit nicely for a limited theater run.
I agree with you. For a doc like this, the editor must have had 10 hours or more of footage to work from. I believe that even if John Waite isn't listed as producer of the film, he must have been given the right to veto what went into the final cut.

Like I said, I did enjoy it. It allowed me to discover The Babys' music, which contains some solid songs.

@Simon A - Thanks for letting us know about this. I admit that the music of Waite and the Baby's are a guilty pleasure for me.
Never in a million years would I have expected a documentary about him. Kind of disappointing though to hear it might be a mostly a one-sided puff piece.

The Baby's story has all the requisite rock and roll stereotypes to make for a quite interesting story. label & management issues. Waite's stage injury just before the break up and what must have been a time period of "what could have been". Waite's short but high profile solo success with "Missing You". Cain walking right into instant superstardom with Journey. Got to be some incredible insights left on the table.

Coincidently, I just missed seeing the Baby's by one or two dates. They were to open for Journey in Cleveland, Ohio but Waite got injured at an Akron, Ohio show right before. I can recall being very disappointed that they weren't going to play and how conveniently Cane joined Journey shortly after. A local Cleveland band that should have made it big called Breathless filled in.

I kind of remember them a friend liked them and I got one album maybe the first? Must still be around somewhere. I remember his solo hit......Yea not a group or person I would have thought a documentary would be made about....
How about a documentary on The Smithereens? My favorite B level group.
But thank you Simon A for your post.

I finished watching the doc. I quite enjoyed it, he has such a good voice. Lots of hits and overall The Baby's a great band. No surprises as far as what the music industry used to do to there artists as we have all heard that story from many other artists.
Yes, I was disappointed more Bad English wasn't talked about, but I figured that was Neal Schon's world and JW could not legally talk about Bad English.
Overall, I was quite relaxed while watching and enjoyed.

I found the doc on prime but on the way to start watching it I found a doc on Big Star one of my guilty pleasures so started watching that. But like an old fart I fell alseep so I will check both out later this week.

I didn't hate it but thought it was all over the place and missing details everywhere.
Was it a covid quartine & relationship piece or a bio pic that only really covers selected periods? Or was it a western? :ROFLMAO:

The only two things that seemed abundantly clear was John's dislike of Bob Ezrin & the fact that Chrysalis is the only one to make money from the Baby's.

Back