Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin's Love Devotion Surrender on Quad SACD from Sony Japan Sept. 27, 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my two (2) pre-ordered titles yesterday (9/26) as well from CDJapan via DHL and continue to be amazed on how quickly this merchant seems to deliver their products to international customers (I'm in the greater Sacramento area in CA). Top marks all around...Cheers and many thanks CDJapan!
CDJapan used to offer "standard" postal service shipping for much less cost than their DHL or FedEx options. But ship time was about 2 weeks. So I now bundle my orders instead of buying onesies and twosies. Perhaps CDJapan's elimination of standard post was intentional for that reason. 🤷‍♂️

CDJapan used to offer "standard" postal service shipping for much less cost than their DHL or FedEx options. But ship time was about 2 weeks. So I now bundle my orders instead of buying onesies and twosies. Perhaps CDJapan's elimination of standard post was intentional for that reason. 🤷‍♂️
It's not cdJapan's intentional "elimination of standard post" that's the reason, but the fact that Japan Post still refuses to send to many international destinations post-COVID.

Not much discussion yet about this title. Did everyone get theirs yet? I am wondering if any fellow Norwegian forum members got theirs? I am still waiting, sent by registered air mail on the 25th. Usually it gets here in about 10 days but now it’s 23 days and counting.

I actually listened to my copy for a second time today. For me it is a pretty good listen but certainly not my favorite. Sound is great but the spiritual aspect turns me off a bit. The repeating mantras specifically, but like everyone here, I'll tend to buy the Japan Quads whatever is released in those great 7" packaging.

Not much discussion yet about this title. Did everyone get theirs yet? I am wondering if any fellow Norwegian forum members got theirs? I am still waiting, sent by registered air mail on the 25th. Usually it gets here in about 10 days but now it’s 23 days and counting.
Got mine a while ago, but I used DHL. Have only listened once as I'm not much into quad anymore, bought it mainly for Billy Cobham on drums.

Got mine also. But I must admit from the music point of view that to me this one is the weakest album of all the Santana releases so far. Of course this is always a personal matter of taste! My favorite in the series is Lotus which of course a lot of people also would not agree to.

Lotus is superb musically, and I really enjoy the wonderful ambience it has in quad, so it's a winner fr me also. I can definitely see how LDS is not everyone's cup of tea though. As much as I love both McLaughlin and Santana, it's one I don't pull out all that often, but I can't wait to hear it in quad!

... My favorite in the series is Lotus which of course a lot of people also would not agree to.
Well, not me. It's my favourite to which my (then) girlfriend's brother bought back in 1974 when it first arrived as an import in Oz. The extra tracks on the recent SACD are what I got it for, a fantastic fusion triple-live testament to their brilliance, even if the quad doesn't really utilise its potential.

And how can you not like that nod to the "Sound Of Music" in "Incident at Neshabur"?

Last edited:
I will order it, but only as a second selection when Welcome gets its release...can't see paying individual shipping to US for each one.
Speaking of Welcome- I'm hoping its announced soon...it was released initially on 11/9/73 and its 50th is coming up.

Chris

Finally got my disc! Superbly packaged by CDJapan as always, and the album release is as stunning as always.
I've only given it one spin yet, but this one is great. It's always been a rather cacophonous album, but the quad mix really opens it up and reveals a lot of detail that was lost. It's still a rather intense and somewhat over-the-top affair, but opening the mix up allows some more delicacy and subtlety to show through. I have to give it a few more spins before I give it the full review, but it will be positive. Just two little quirks; as with several of the other Santana quads (Abraxas and III) there is occasionally the odd echo/delay effect on certain parts. I noticed it on a couple of guitar parts and also a few vocal/chant parts. It's odd because I can't hear it in the stereo mix, but it's very obvious in quad and sometimes makes that particular part sound distant and not as distinct. Could be that it just is not as evident in the stereo mix, but it's to the point that I sometimes wonder if it's a malfunction in the tapes or transfer, like we're only getting the echo of that part. It's not very frequent and not as obvious here as it was on III, where several guitar solos were only heard as an echo.
The other oddity is on the track The Life Divine, which is my favorite on the album, due in no small part to McLaughlin's scorching solo. In the quad mix, there are actually *two* solos playing simultaneously, in the front L and R speakers respectively. It makes for a very unusual and unsettling listening experience. Perhaps it was intended as a way to make an over-the-top track go even further over the top, and it sort of succeeds, but I also find myself wanting to hear just that solo in all its glory. So I went back to the stereo mix, and sure enough there you get just the one solo that I have loved all these years. That did however also reveal to me just how much the quad mix opens up this rather dense album.

Incidentally, on the early 2000s CD remaster there was an alternate take of The Life Divine with an alternate McLaughlin solo. I have to check whether that is the solo that's playing in the front L speaker in the quad mix, or if that is yet a different, third solo.

So I got an email from another Japanese music site a few days ago saying that "Shipping costs are now much lower. Because Japan Post has resumed small packet service after a 3-year absence." And sure enough, I checked CDJapan and found this notice:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/info/20231013
It only took three and a half years. Not sure what the new rates are, but hopefully for the next title, US buyers will find that Airmail and/or Registered Airmail are cheaper shipping options than DHL and FedEx!

So I got an email from another Japanese music site a few days ago saying that "Shipping costs are now much lower. Because Japan Post has resumed small packet service after a 3-year absence." And sure enough, I checked CDJapan and found this notice:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/info/20231013
It only took three and a half years. Not sure what the new rates are, but hopefully for the next title, US buyers will find that Airmail and/or Registered Airmail are cheaper shipping options than DHL and FedEx!
Same us from Canada:)

My mistake…it was actually A Love Supreme which had an alternate take on the 2003 CD remaster.
The Life Divine on the quad mix has several McLaughlin guitar parts going all at once, many of which were mixed out in the stereo mix. Quite a weird experience and, frankly, not terribly rewarding. But the overall mix is great for the most part.

I had been on the fence with this purchase but with a poll score of 9.91 and listening to the album once again I bit the bullet and sealed the deal. CDJ showed 6 upon purchasing; now showing 4 in stock.

Back