Billy Joel - Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Mch SACD of Quad mix from Sony Japan)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfactor23

Pre-Order up now:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10151

From CDJapan:

To commemorate the 50th anniversary, Billy Joel's "Piano Man" becomes available as SA-CD Multi Hybrid edition for the first time in the world.

The 4-channel SACD layer is a high-quality surround mix of the quadraphonic LP analog 4-channel mix master source, mastered in DSD for the first time at Sony Music Studio in Japan. The 2-channel SACD layer is a high-quality stereo mix newly DSD-mastered from the analog 2-channel mix master source, and the CD layer is a newly mastered source converted from the SACD DSD master to PCM.

In addition, DISC2 (high quality Blu-spec CD2) contains many unreleased demos and rare live recordings from the "Piano Man" period, including 7 songs that have never been released on CD before. DISC3 (DVD) contains rare live/music video footage, including eight songs that have never been released on DVD before.

Plus, this set comes with a US press kit from 1973, a "Piano Man" Japanese 7inch single jacket, 4 types of reissued replicas of Japanese LP obis, and other rare memorabilia. 7inch cardboard sleeve packaging with lyrics and a description.

From Sony Japan's website... looks amazing!
202401150947501.jpg

What a treat. Unfortunately, even with the cheapest postage to the UK, the whole lot works out at £44.63!

How much are you guys paying over in the US?

Also... The package weight is stated as being 788 grammes (around 1.7 pounds or 27.8 ounces), which seems rather high to me...
With the cheapest shipping option to USA (DHL), it comes to $66.32 for me. I'm not sure I want to go that high for this. I'll keep my eye out for less expensive options. I do wish this was "Quadio Eligible".

Consider that this set is three discs: hybrid SACD, bonus Blu-spec CD, and bonus DVD. Factoring in the packaging, content, and shipping, I believe the price is fair. I don't think it's any more expensive than Lotus was (three hybrid SACDs).
Yeah, true. There was zero hesitation for me to order this. Pretty big Joel fan, and these are just so cool.

This is an instant purchase. Worried that the DVD will be regiion locked, but the quad is the most important thing. Now if they can just do Turnstiles we'll have all his quads.

If I can nitpick though, I would have preferred a blu-ray with both the quad and the new Atmos. But I am still very excited for the 4.0 SACD.

This is an instant purchase. Worried that the DVD will be regiion locked, but the quad is the most important thing. Now if they can just do Turnstiles we'll have all his quads.
If that's the case then we're fortunate that DVD's are easy enough to copy (along with removing any type of encryption). So it's not too difficult to burn a new 'region free' DVD ;)

Back