Santana "Welcome" 7-inch Sony Japan MultiCh SACD coming November 29th, 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CDJapan is outstanding getting this stuff to us/me. I give them so much credit with regard to packing and shipping. Discs are always safe and perfect, and show up faster than many domestic companies. They are well worth whatever they charge, IMHO.
And now they've added the option to pay for the VAT and customs handling in advance, they save you from nasty surprises and paperwork when receiving the items.
Just got mine, plan to listen in the late afternoon (I'll be a fresh listen for me, never got as far as Welcome in Santana's discography)

CDJapan is outstanding getting this stuff to us/me. I give them so much credit with regard to packing and shipping. Discs are always safe and perfect, and show up faster than many domestic companies. They are well worth whatever they charge, IMHO.
Everything I've ever bought from Japan, including from private sellers, has come meticulously packaged. I think it's part of their culture of attention to detail. Oxford Dickie described stuff from Japan as packaged so well a raw egg would arrive intact.

And now they've added the option to pay for the VAT and customs handling in advance, they save you from nasty surprises and paperwork when receiving the items.
Just got mine, plan to listen in the late afternoon (I'll be a fresh listen for me, never got as far as Welcome in Santana's discography)
Same here, a virgin to this release.

Listening now, to an impeccable mix and fantastic music.

We are so blessed that folk around the world are still keen to produce these works of art.

Received my copy today as well, one day early from DHL's initial projection. I can add my joy about the CDJapan service and packaging, and in this case the DHL Express shipping. IOSS (automated EU VAT handling) is a bliss (if it works).

Listening to the record now. I am surprised about the amout of activity going on in the rears (drums and bass very prominently), while the fronts seem to be used very decently. Some of the vocals seemed a little low in the mix for me, but maybe on purpose? Although I had it on CD already, I must confess I don't know the album very well.

I created the Discogs release btw., with only basic info for now, so whoever is maintaining their collection there can add it now :)

Received my copy today as well, one day early from DHL's initial projection. I can add my joy about the CDJapan service and packaging, and in this case the DHL Express shipping. IOSS (automated EU VAT handling) is a bliss (if it works).

Listening to the record now. I am surprised about the amout of activity going on in the rears (drums and bass very prominently), while the fronts seem to be used very decently. Some of the vocals seemed a little low in the mix for me, but maybe on purpose? Although I had it on CD already, I must confess I don't know the album very well.

I created the Discogs release btw., with only basic info for now, so whoever is maintaining their collection there can add it now :)
I too received my copy yesterday from CDJapan and can only wish that other sites/sellers (SDE, Rhino, etc) would package and send their releases as meticulously and expeditiously! I am STILL waiting for my Prince Blu-ray that I pre-ordered from SDE, by the way...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Welcome is the only quad LP from the CBS label family (Columbia, Epic, Blue Sky, PIR, etc.) that had a custom LP label, which has been replicated on the SACD reissue disc art as well. Even the Chicago quads - where the stereo LPs had custom labels starting with Chicago V - which came after Welcome in 1975 used the same standard "Columbia Quadraphonic" gold background/red logo labels as the rest of the Columbia releases.

1701285193036.png
1701285234635.png

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Welcome is the only quad LP from the CBS label family (Columbia, Epic, Blue Sky, PIR, etc.) that had a custom LP label, which has been replicated on the SACD reissue disc art as well. Even the Chicago quads - where the stereo LPs had custom labels starting with Chicago V - which came after Welcome in 1975 used the same standard "Columbia Quadraphonic" gold background/red logo labels as the rest of the Columbia releases.

Good catch/eye in this distinction. Additionally, I did not see any references to "Quad" hi-fi gear that has appeared in other Japan 7" quad SACD releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I’m salivating reading about you folks who received it. DHL says Friday for me. I love this album so much, it’s really nice to see folks who are not familiar with it but seem to like it already. Somebody likened it to going to church. That’s a very appropriate comparison.

Every track is different, but each one is a gem. Top 10 all time album for me.

Man, I’m salivating reading about you folks who received it. DHL says Friday for me. I love this album so much, it’s really nice to see folks who are not familiar with it but seem to like it already. Somebody likened it to going to church. That’s a very appropriate comparison.

Every track is different, but each one is a gem. Top 10 all time album for me.
I think you will be very pleased with it once you receive it from DHL. The packaging is immaculate and the contents/performance/sound are just sublime. I was surprised how quickly I received "Welcome" but then again, CDJapan continues to amaze me.

I have to give a big shot out to QuadLinda, I was going to pass on Welcome but her comments about this album sold me. So glad I purchased this. It's a most pleasant surprise. Going home has some mellotron action maybe it's a Chamberlain. I dunno but I love it. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Welcome is the only quad LP from the CBS label family (Columbia, Epic, Blue Sky, PIR, etc.) that had a custom LP label, which has been replicated on the SACD reissue disc art as well.
I think Dan Fogelberg's Captured Angel had one too?

I think Dan Fogelberg's Captured Angel had one too?

It does, and so does Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn - perhaps I was being overly selective but I didn't count these ones as they were labels distributed through CBS, but not owned by CBS. Captured Angel was on Full Moon (distributed by Epic back then and now part of Warners I think) and Ommadawn was on Virgin, distributed by CBS.

Welcome is also unique in that it's surely the only quad record released by CBS (and maybe the only one released by any label in North America) with a Japanese-style cap obi-strip, which the stereo version had as well. I have a feeling they did this because the original pressings of the jacket just had the embossed 'Welcome' logo on the front, with no mention of Santana. The later (stereo) LP pressings (and the CD reissues) did away with the embossing and had the small Santana logo and the Welcome title all in gold ink. Carlos Santana has always spoken highly of Japan (including in his autobiography) and it's kind of neat to see that reflected in the design and packaging choices for this album.

Aaaaarggh!!!! My package was out for delivery today from DHL, then suddenly status was updated to "exception; could not be delivered today". I called DHL...reason was: "too many packages on the vehicle". F###! First world problem for sure, and I really think the driver has earned his weekend leave, but this sucks. Why pay extra for DHL delivery when they f it up like this?

It's here! I snuck in a very quick sneak preview, and I must say...WOW!!!! The Santana discs so far have been a little bit of a mixed bag - frequently excellent or outstanding, but most of them have had some sort of oddity about the mix decisions, particularly III. But the first 4 tracks, which is what I had time for, were absolutely outstanding! Glorious, discreet, enveloping quad with superb fidelity. Best I have ever heard this album. I will have to reserve judgment until I hear the full album, but what I heard was beyond all expectations. The bass in particular was just superb, the underrated Doug Rauch was really allowed to shine. Can't wait for a full session later tonight.

Back