Santana "Welcome" 7-inch Sony Japan MultiCh SACD coming November 29th, 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After one session with the full album, I can safely say that this is just stunning, maybe even a top 10 surround mix for me. Just gorgeous, flawless (bar the keyboard in the rear on the funk coda of When I Look Into Your Eyes is a touch too loud). Now where is that poll thread so I can vote a big fat “10”?

According to the description of the release, "The SACD layer uses a DSD master converted from the original "Quadraphonic (4ch)" master. The CD layer uses the master from SACD (latest remastering)."

I find that a bit confusing. Which mastering is used for the stereo versions on the redbook and the SACD layer? Was there a previous SACD release of Welcome by Santana?

According to the description of the release, "The SACD layer uses a DSD master converted from the original "Quadraphonic (4ch)" master. The CD layer uses the master from SACD (latest remastering)."

I find that a bit confusing. Which mastering is used for the stereo versions on the redbook and the SACD layer? Was there a previous SACD release of Welcome by Santana?
I dont' know, but I can confirm it is not the 2003 remaster, which I have on CD. It must be another JP release.

The only SACD listed on Discogs is this one, so perhaps the "latest remastering" is a new mastering for this release? Otherwise, this was the latest CD release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12596681-Santana-Welcome
By the way, this remaster sounds reasonably good. Better than the 2003 remaster on CD. My favourite is the HDtracks version. It’s got more bass and has a better tonality. This album can sound a bit harsh at times.

My copy arrived today. I ordered from CD Japan, but this time I decided to try the airmail shipping option, as it's been recently reinstated. Previously, I picked the DHL option which is about $10 more expensive, and I would always have to pay DHL an extra $25 in some kind of Customs/Duty/Excise charges before they would deliver it. So, for roughly $35 less, I only had to wait an extra 10 days for the package to arrive via airmail. Totally worth it, I'll be choosing the airmail option from now on.

When the poll becomes available I will give this release a 10. The music is Santana at their finest, the recording sound quality is fantastic, no noticeable tape hiss, the mix is one of the best legacy quadraphonic presentations and the packaging is a brilliantly faithful mini version of the original. Just going back to the mix, on my first listen I was not sitting in my normal seat but at the side of the room between front and rear left. After a while I realised that I could hear every instrument clearly located and that there appears to be no sweet-spot as there can be with many quad mixes. I may of course be overstating but I think it could be one of the best mixes from the quad era. Fabulous!

My copy arrived today. I ordered from CD Japan, but this time I decided to try the airmail shipping option, as it's been recently reinstated. Previously, I picked the DHL option which is about $10 more expensive, and I would always have to pay DHL an extra $25 in some kind of Customs/Duty/Excise charges before they would deliver it. So, for roughly $35 less, I only had to wait an extra 10 days for the package to arrive via airmail. Totally worth it, I'll be choosing the airmail option from now on.
Indeed, mine arrived today too in Edmonton (with no extra charges), and now Japan Post has resumed airmail to Canada, airmail took just 11 days and was only about CAD$11.

Those in the USA may wish to choose that now instead of FedEx and DHL, given Japan Post has resumed airmail there from Oct. 1:

Shipping Restriction Updates

Latest posts

Back