New to SACD -- need guidance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikeg2h

I am new to SACD; just got a player, but mostly use headphones for listening. I notice that there are multichannel SACDs and stereo SACDs. What is the difference between them? Does it make any difference which type I buy for listening with headphones, or using two front speakers? If someday I expand to a multichannel audio system, should I now buy only multichannel SACDs? Do stereo SACDs sound better or worse than multichannel SACDs? Finally, how do I distinguish between SACDs that can also be played on regular CD players, versus those that can only be played on SACD players?

You'll want to check our 3 SACD sections (News, Hardware, Software) for more SACD info.

All SACDs have a studio mixed Stereo track. So you can buy any SACD and be fine there.

The Multichannel SACDs also include a Multichannel mix (as well as a Stereo SACD mix). So those are more popular for surround sound fans - and for those who plan to get a surround setup in the future.

The Stereo SACD track on a Stereo only SACD and on a Multichannel SACD should sound the same. In some cases, the Stereo SACD track will sound better on the Multichannel SACD. But that's only in cases where the Multichannel SACD was released later than the Stereo only SACD and more recent SACD/DSD technology was used to upgrade the Stereo SACD track.

In terms of types of SACDs, there are two types - Single Layer and Hybrid. Single Layer (such as those from Sony) only have Stereo and Multichannel and Stereo SACD tracks. So they are not playable on non-SACD equipment.

A Hybrid SACD (like tomorrow's Rolling Stones Remastered discs), have an SACD layer and a CD layer. So they can be played on SACD and CD equipment.

Buy multi channel SACD's whenever possible.
You get the multi channel track and the 2 channel stereo track , so it is a better deal.
And if down the road you get into the 5.1 stuff you are already set to go.
I know not all SACD's are available in multi channel , but I am buying as many of the ones i like as i can.
Joe Satriani - Beautiful Music - m/c - Excellent
Carole King - Tapestry -m/c - Excellent
James Taylor - J.T - m/c - Good
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell - m/c - Uhh Different
Billy Joel - The Stranger - m/c - Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back