Nilsson Schmilsson on Surround SACD from Dutton Vocalion?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be very happy if they would release "Nilsson Schmilsson" by Harry Nilsson and "Court and Spark" by Joni Mitchell. I can only imagine how good they would sound in quad. I only have heard them in stereo.
Nilsson Schmillson would be fantastic. If there is a Santa, I sure would like this under my tree. :):):)

You're right Adam [as ALWAYS]. I'd still LOVE the spectacular Nilsson Sings Newman on even a stand alone Stereo SACD!

BTW, did you get your latest D~V 'stash' YET?

I guess if disc space allowed, you'd do a 2-fer MCh SACD of Schmilsson & Pussy Cats and another 2-fer MC SACD of Duit On Mon Dei & Sandman..?

edit: no DV stash as yet, Ralpheeo :cry:

Last edited:
I would be very happy if they would release "Nilsson Schmilsson" by Harry Nilsson and "Court and Spark" by Joni Mitchell. I can only imagine how good they would sound in quad. I only have heard them in stereo.

You don't have to imagine one track from Schmilsson -- "Without You" -- which was released on AF's The Collection SACD. Unfortunately, the Schmilsson album is pretty much a dud in quad. Not very discrete, lead vocal X 4, mediocre sonics, and lots of unmuted tracks left open sloppily. I never listen to it anymore, although the kitchen-sink over-the-top mix of "Jump into the Fire" was fun for a few listens.

"Court and Spark" is another story entirely. A top quad mix, likely audiophile quality. I say "likely" because until we hear an undistorted, non-CD-4 dub from the quad masters, we'll never know. But I'd sure like to.

Actually, it would be nice to get a few of the hard-to-find Nilsson quads on two-fers. I'd buy them.

You don't have to imagine one track from Schmilsson -- "Without You" -- which was released on AF's The Collection SACD. Unfortunately, the Schmilsson album is pretty much a dud in quad. Not very discrete, lead vocal X 4, mediocre sonics, and lots of unmuted tracks left open sloppily. I never listen to it anymore, although the kitchen-sink over-the-top mix of "Jump into the Fire" was fun for a few listens.

"Court and Spark" is another story entirely. A top quad mix, likely audiophile quality. I say "likely" because until we hear an undistorted, non-CD-4 dub from the quad masters, we'll never know. But I'd sure like to.

Actually, it would be nice to get a few of the hard-to-find Nisson quads on two-fers. I'd buy them.

Schmilsson a dud? A lot of people would disagree with that including me.

Schmilsson a dud? A lot of people would disagree with that including me.

Maybe you could tell me what's so good about it -- other than the great songs. I had muchly anticipated hearing the many familiar tracks in quad but was pretty disappointed. Coconut and Gotta Get Up, two favorites I knew from 45 singles, were especially disheartenng. Jump Into the Fire is way overdone with added echo and unnnecessary extra percussion. Without You is somewhat okay, but still not all that discrete with vocal x 4 and an annoying added accoustic guitar during the solo piano opening. Other than horns in the rear there's not much going on separation-wise. And overall, the sound is dull compared to the stereo version.

Last edited:
Maybe you could tell me what's so good about it -- other than the great songs. I had muchly anticipated hearing the many familiar tracks in quad but was pretty disappointed. Coconut and Gotta Get Up, two favorites I knew from 45 singles, were especially disheartenng. Jump Into the Fire is way overdone with added echo and unnnecessary extra percussion. Without You is somewhat okay, but still not all that discrete with vocal x 4 and an annoying added accoustic guitar during the solo piano opening. Other than horns in the rear there's not much going on separation-wise. And overall, the sound is dull compared to the stereo version

I don't think the sound is dull. When I first listened to it the first thing I thought was how great the production was. I like the mixing choices and don't have any problems with the separation. I also like Pussy Cats a lot. Too bad you don't like them, they are both gems and would be excellent as a two-fer.

"Nilsson Schmilsson" by Harry Nilsson and "Court and Spark" by Joni Mitchell.

Both albums are incredible in CD-4, can only imagine how great they would be in SACD discrete surround- this would really surpass expectations- another dream come true! The best Nilsson album and Court and Spark is BY FAR my fav Joni Mirchell album!

Rhino might be the best bet for Joni 's Quads I reckon.
Don't think DV is accessing the Warner quads yet, and WEA/Rhino seems to have found renewed interest in releasing quad .

Put me down for Nilsson Schmillsson, and Pussy Cats , two great quads from RCA. Hope to see em from DV some day soon.

Agreed. Nilsson quads are a better bet for DV since they are in the Sony Music catalog.

I am pretty sure Marshall wanted to do "Nilsson Schmilsson" for AF SACD 2.0/4.0 release, because he asked me what I thought about the title, but some other label beat him to it. Poor AF got quad blocked quite a few times by MFSL and others who had no intention of adding the quad tracks to their SACDs.

BASTAGES THEY BE!

I am pretty sure Marshall wanted to do "Nilsson Schmilsson" for AF SACD 2.0/4.0 release, because he asked me what I thought about the title, but some other label beat him to it. Poor AF got quad blocked quite a few times by MFSL and others who had no intention of adding the quad tracks to their SACDs.

BASTAGES THEY BE!

That's good to know Jon.

It means there is a likelyhood of DV releasing it, no doubt the tapes are still ok.

BASTAGES THEY BE!

The sad part is that I think Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds) got the rights to reissue "Nilsson Schmilsson" and it still has not materialized yet.
Bastages is right!

The sad part is that I think Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds) got the rights to reissue "Nilsson Schmilsson" and it still has not materialized yet.
Bastages is right!

Really. I mean, I would not care a lick if these other companies release SACD's with the quad tracks, the more the merrier. That would have been great!

Only Marshall went "all in" and went the extra mile. I have to admit I advised him a few times not to waste the effort on a quad release when the title wasn't something that I thought was worthy, but that's why he was asking me. All in all AF did a remarkable job getting all of those titles out that they did. It's just a damn shame that the one they stopped on was the BS&T GH. I know it was supposed to have the quad tracks on it as Marshall mentioned it to me, so when it was announced without them, I had a feeling the end of that program was near. I am telling you it really bummed me out.

The quad community should never forget Marshall or Audio Fidelity. It's nice that DV has taken up the banner but Marshall and AF blazed the trail when the trail had pretty much ended.

Back