October 2023 D-V SACD Releases (Isley Bros, O’Jays, Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Henry Mancini)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the original Ship Ahoy SACD, but I'm going to keep it. The one thing I really hate about DV reissues is the butchery of the album covers. Really, really wish they would not do that. It's a damn disgrace
Though butchery is not the word I’d use, and admire the effort to merge the album artwork, I too would prefer full size original covers.

Put one each on the first and last page of the booklet and let us decide which one is visible in the jewel case.
Like the old Beach Boys 2-fers from way back.

I’m in for all 6 but my order will have to wait until mid November when my credit card cools down(the same will be true for the upcoming Rhino quads).
Mr. E ... with the unprecedented spate of new QUAD/5.1 releases it increasingly seems plausible for future Music Purchases to have their own safety netted retirement fund.

But nice to see Dutton Vocalion has been able to access the UMG music catalogue for the Enoch Light/Tony Mottola titles as well as Paul Mauriat!

BTW, look at the current discogs pricing for The O'Jays SHIP AHOY:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4872460-The-OJays-Ship-Ahoy
With s/h and local sales tax more than 3/4 of my current D~V purchase [for 6 loaded SACDs] including s/h!!!!!!!!!! And that disc is USED!

Last edited:
Mr. E ... with the unprecedented spate of new QUAD/5.1 releases it increasingly seems plausible for future Music Purchases to have their own safety netted retirement fund.

But nice to see Dutton Vocalion has been able to access the UMG music catalogue for the Enoch Light/Tony Mottola titles as well as Paul Mauriat!

BTW, look at the current discogs pricing for The O'Jays SHIP AHOY:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4872460-The-OJays-Ship-Ahoy
With s/h and local sales tax more than 3/4 of my current D~V purchase [for 6 loaded SACDs] including s/h!!!!!!!!!! And that disc is USED!
No argument from me Ralphie, but I don’t expect any of these titles to sell out within the next 30 days!

And “retirement fund”?! Tell that to Pete Townshend, Steven Wilson, Bruce Soord, Stephen W. Tayler, Michael Dutton, Foraging Rhino and Paul Sinclair!

Wow ...was just doing some simple math and the 6 R&B/Pop/Easy Listening titles just released by D~V consist of 15 individual albums. I also added 2 classical Dutton Epoch multi~CH SACDs for a total of 17 and my TOTAL PRICE including Priority s/h from the UK was US$181.90.

Divide that by 17 and each album is priced at $10.70 !!!!!!

Cheaper than a RBCD.

Thank you D~V ..... at a time when going to the supermarket represents extreme STICKER SHOCK .... you continue to give us some amazing music at bargain basement prices.....with 15 albums in QUAD/5.1 SACD and 2 in Stereo [SACD]

Last edited:
Very cool to complete the O'jays catalog of Quad and I believe that does all the Isley's now too, doesn't it? I really wish "Backstabbers" had been done. Maybe Mr. Dutton can use some clout to remix that one from the multitracks? It was a Platinum album with two Top-10 Singles on it. It really would be a great final addition.
Very happy to hear that the Project 3 stuff has been located and is viable. Basic Google searches generally don't go deep enough into finding out who owns what or even if & when things have changed hands.

I could be selfishly sad to see my SACD stock fall in value with the ship ahoy release. The title song was the first song I remember my daughter singing along to, as I use to play it a lot, but I'm so much more pleased to see these great releases. I live for 70s soul, so am overjoyed at these quad mixes being released.
Now I have to decide which other titles to add from the DV catalogue, that I haven't bought yet to show my gratitude

I'm going to assume the same fate for "Live It Up" by the Isley's as well. They both feature the same style of mix. Even though Live it Up got a Q8 release.... it was anything but discrete.
it would now seem fairly safe to assume so, yes.

the Isley SQ debate is bound to rumble on ad infinitum but what i would say is, despite all the rumours, we didn't even know the "Heat Is On" Quad definitively existed until something resembling a Quad mix was rather unceremoniously dumped onto the streaming services in Dolby Audio & 360 Reality Audio format a couple of years ago.

now Dutton Vocalion have not only confirmed it is indeed the holy grail (unreleased for 46 years!!) Quad but has reworked it entirely by going back a tape generation beyond what's on the streaming services, using a superior method of decoding and a superior source.

so all that makes me more hopeful for a great outcome for any potential future Vocalion MultiCh SACD release of "Live It Up", not least because the SQ LP of "Live It Up" decodes through the Surround Master with way better separation, clarity and definition than whatever method was used by CBS in their studios in New York in 1975 (presumed an SQD-2020) to produce that shitty old Q8 tape 🙂

Very cool to complete the O'jays catalog of Quad and I believe that does all the Isley's now too, doesn't it? I really wish "Backstabbers" had been done. Maybe Mr. Dutton can use some clout to remix that one from the multitracks? It was a Platinum album with two Top-10 Singles on it. It really would be a great final addition.
Very happy to hear that the Project 3 stuff has been located and is viable. Basic Google searches generally don't go deep enough into finding out who owns what or even if & when things have changed hands.
after Dutton's fabulous new Raiders remixes and the Star Wars Quad wot he got redone from the ground up because the original 4-channel tapes were knackered, it feels more possible than i would've imagined a few years ago that we could get brand new Sony Quads. we know Rhino's considering it, so maybe DV will do it too! 🤞

I could be selfishly sad to see my SACD stock fall in value with the ship ahoy release. The title song was the first song I remember my daughter singing along to, as I use to play it a lot, but I'm so much more pleased to see these great releases. I live for 70s soul, so am overjoyed at these quad mixes being released.
Now I have to decide which other titles to add from the DV catalogue, that I haven't bought yet to show my gratitude
i'm guessing you have all DV's Soul/R&B Quad SACD titles already such as;

- Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 2-fer of "Black and Blue" & "Wake Up Everybody",
- Billy Paul's "War Of The Gods" & "360 Degrees Of..",
- Earth Wind & Fire 2-fer "Spirit" & "That's the way of the world",
- The Cecil Holmes Soulful Sounds 2-fer,
- The Main Ingredient "Euphrates River",
- The Friends Of Distinction 4-fer,
- The Hues Corporation 2-fer of "Rockin' Soul" & "Love Corporation",
- Tower Of Power's "Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now",
- MFSB's "Philadelphia Freedom",
-The Miracles "Love Crazy",
- The O'Jays "Family Reunion" & "Survival".

ahh how i love love love 'em all 💘💝🥰

Last edited:
Back