Opeth Red Rocks Bliss

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awdeeohnut

Hi guys, anyone else seen/heard the Opeth at Red Rocks Bluray? It does not have dts, so it means you have to turn it up a bit louder than dts encoded discs, but otherwise it sounds fab. Does not have that dts "ooooomph" however.

Hi guys, anyone else seen/heard the Opeth at Red Rocks Bluray? It does not have dts, so it means you have to turn it up a bit louder than dts encoded discs, but otherwise it sounds fab. Does not have that dts "ooooomph" however.
I don't understand the DTS comments. Its a Blu-Ray right? If it isn't DTS encoded it has to be either Dolby True HD or straight PCM or both. I am unaware of anything that reduces volume relative to DTS on either of those formats nor have I ever heard DTS providing additional "ooooomph" relative to either of those formats.

I don't understand the DTS comments. Its a Blu-Ray right? If it isn't DTS encoded it has to be either Dolby True HD or straight PCM or both. I am unaware of anything that reduces volume relative to DTS on either of those formats nor have I ever heard DTS providing additional "ooooomph" relative to either of those formats.
I can recognise the DTS "oooomph" effect from the good old DVD-Video days where the DTS track most often killed the Dolby Digital and also the stereo track. Not so much these days where all the lossless formats sound identical to me.

Maybe I should clarify, I always felt dts added bottom end "oomph" when selected, especially on metal and heavy rock discs. Just my opinion, I find I need to turn up the volume on non dts encoded discs to get a nice wallop from my speakers.

Believe it or not, some Blu Ray video discs manufactured in 2019 have Dolby Digital 5.1 or 2.0 soundtracks and blu ray.com always downgrades the audio portion ratings of their reviews if that's the case.

Last edited:
As I noted previously elsewhere, the surround mix is so muddy as to be unlistenable! Enjoyed the show much better when I switched over to 5 channel stereo and played that instead. It’s puzzling why this band has such a hard time getting decent 5.1 mixes anymore.

Last edited:
As I noted previously elsewhere, the surround mix is so muddy as to be in listenable! Enjoyed the show much better when I switched over to 5 channel stereo and played that instead. It’s puzzling why this band has such a hard time getting decent 5.1 mixes anymore.
We could ask Rush the same thing, currently. I think sometimes bands don't exercise proper (or any) quality control over mulitchannel products...

As I noted previously elsewhere, the surround mix is so muddy as to be in listenable! Enjoyed the show much better when I switched over to 5 channel stereo and played that instead. It’s puzzling why this band has such a hard time getting decent 5.1 mixes anymore.
Yes, probably when SW stopped producing them me methinks, all his stuff with them sounds mint

Back