Oppo BDP-93 not recognizing external hard drive

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookofsaturdays

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hi all,

I was hoping one of you could help me. I recently acquired my first Oppo, a BDP-93. Loving everything so far and wanted to try out the gapless playback feature I’ve been really missing on my UBP-X800. I connected my 4TB external hard drive to the USB port and am getting nothing showing in the ‘Movie’ or ‘Music’ sections on the home menu. It has been working fine on my Sony player FWIW.

It’s a hard drive with a separate power brick and it’s formatted in NTFS, which I read apparently the BDP-93 can support? It’s also a newer hard drive with USB-3 but it’s my understanding that they’re backwards compatible with USB 2.0?

Would I need to reformat to exFAT or something else? I really hope not to as I’ve got about 2TB of files on there with really nowhere to move them for the time being.

Hi all,

I was hoping one of you could help me. I recently acquired my first Oppo, a BDP-93. Loving everything so far and wanted to try out the gapless playback feature I’ve been really missing on my UBP-X800. I connected my 4TB external hard drive to the USB port and am getting nothing showing in the ‘Movie’ or ‘Music’ sections on the home menu. It has been working fine on my Sony player FWIW.

It’s a hard drive with a separate power brick and it’s formatted in NTFS, which I read apparently the BDP-93 can support? It’s also a newer hard drive with USB-3 but it’s my understanding that they’re backwards compatible with USB 2.0?

Would I need to reformat to exFAT or something else? I really hope not to as I’ve got about 2TB of files on there with really nowhere to move them for the time being.
We have that model as well as the 103, and 203. Our 93 will not accept a separate hard drive either. The other 'newer' models will. We are able to put some of it onto thumbdrives and seems to work ok though that way. Have no idea why.... amount of content on the drive? Size? I couldn't figure it out at all...

Last edited:
Ok so reading more into it apparently the older 93 models only accept hard drives formatted in MBR and not the newer standard GPT. With all that said I did try a standard USB thumb drive formatted in exFAT and MBR and still nothing.

Another annoying thing is partitions formatted in MBR only allow for up to 2.2TB of data storage and I have way more than that on this hard drive…

Ok so reading more into it apparently the older 93 models only accept hard drives formatted in MBR and not the newer standard GPT. With all that said I did try a standard USB thumb drive formatted in exFAT and MBR and still nothing.

Another annoying thing is partitions formatted in MBR only allow for up to 2.2TB of data storage and I have way more than that on this hard drive…
You've probably already come across this but this site has some useful information about the storage limitations of the BDP-93:
https://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP...imum-supported-size-of-an-attached-hard-drive

I

I have a BDP93 and can shed some light on this. It does accept external hard drives but as you surmised they need to be set as MBR. The maximum allowable size of the drive is 2TB. From memory both ex-FAT and NTFS are supported, I'd have to check. I have four external drives with flacs, ISOs and movies and they all play okay just fine.

Last edited:
I
I have a BDP93 and can shed some light on this. It does accept external hard drives but as you surmised they need to be set as MBR. The maximum allowable size of the drive is 2TB. From memory both ex-FAT and NTFS are supported, I'd have to check. I have four external drives with flacs, ISOs and movies and they all play okay just fine.
Thanks for your answer. However like I said I even tried connecting a regular old 64GB USB thumb drive formatted in MBR and it still doesn’t recognize that.

Once it did look like it connected for a second, I saw a USB logo show up in the top right corner of the TV, but nothing shows up in ‘Movie’ or ‘Music’

Thanks for your answer. However like I said I even tried connecting a regular old 64GB USB thumb drive formatted in MBR and it still doesn’t recognize that.

Once it did look like it connected for a second, I saw a USB logo show up in the top right corner of the TV, but nothing shows up in ‘Movie’ or ‘Music’
Did you try formatting the thumb drive as NTFS? Failing that maybe something has failed. As I said, the device is capable so if it's not working for you it's not because the 93 is lacking the functionality.

Did you try formatting the thumb drive as NTFS? Failing that maybe something has failed. As I said, the device is capable so if it's not working for you it's not because the 93 is lacking the functionality.
Looks like that was the culprit. Reformatted to NTFS and finally it recognizes it.

I guess I’ll have to buy another 2TB hard drive just to use for the Oppo then. How do you have your 4 drives connected to yours, using a USB hub or something?

I had a similar headache not with an Oppo but with my Lenovo ThinkPad W520 Laptop.

I plugged in an 80 gb HD connected through a USB 3.0 or 3.1 USB adapter into a USB 3.0 port on the computer. I had to interrupt a disk drive being formatted after which the computer would not recognize any hard drive attached to this usb adapter. I got another one and initially it didn't work but then it all started working again. Some switch in windows maybe. The laptop is Windows 10 originally 7.

I hadn't
Looks like that was the culprit. Reformatted to NTFS and finally it recognizes it.

I guess I’ll have to buy another 2TB hard drive just to use for the Oppo then. How do you have your 4 drives connected to yours, using a USB hub or something?
I haven't tried a hub, although I think I recall somewhere in the mists of time someone saying that it worked for them? I just connect the drive I want to use at the time. You can of course connect one on the front usb as well as one on the back usb at the same time.

I
I have a 93 it works fine with a thumb drive but I have to ask what is MBR in regards to an external drive.

Master Boot Record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table.
GUID partition table (GPT) disks use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).

GPT is a newer partitioning standard than MBR and doesn’t have as many limitations. For example, MBR only allows for four primary partitions per drive and doesn’t support drives larger than 2 TB. GPT allows you to create hundreds of partitions per drive and supports drives larger than one billion terabytes.

Master Boot Record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table.
GUID partition table (GPT) disks use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).

GPT is a newer partitioning standard than MBR and doesn’t have as many limitations. For example, MBR only allows for four primary partitions per drive and doesn’t support drives larger than 2 TB. GPT allows you to create hundreds of partitions per drive and supports drives larger than one billion terabytes.
Thankyou !!

I recently purchased a Samsung Popcorn Media Player in a second hand shop (Opportunity Shop) for $20 . I had no idea what it was. This is an amazing player plays most video and audio formats and has a BluRay drive. However it is not a surround sound player unfortunately. The stereo audio can handle up to 192 kHz and the stereo sound is excellent. I can plug in multiple hard drives and it also has an internal hard drive.

Worth looking out for if you want to play your stereo files and watch movies in stereo only.

On my OPPO BDP-93,

MAX for me, 2TB external hard drive, format NTFS, connected straight to the usb drive front port.

Plays everything, any format, any size.

Now, with my LG 4K OLED 77 I can hook a 4TB external hard drive (NTFS format) and plays anything. One word, amazing!!!! The sound goes to my Yamaha A/V Receiver via EARC and have ATMOS and DTS-X nirvana sound!!!!

Regards,

Last edited:
Another issue I’m having with this thing is it won’t play certain Blu-ray Discs. The player is for Region 1 but I get a region error on two discs I’ve tried:
Dog Soldiers Remastered Blu-ray from 2022 4K release
Cure Criterion Blu-ray

Both are Region A but the Oppo says region mismatch.

Other Region 1 Blu-ray Discs and DVD’s play just fine. Anyone have a similar experience?

Back