Original Scheiber 360 on craigslist los angeles.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Maybe THE original one...

360 Spatial Decoder SQ Surround Sound processor QS CD4 Matrix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-07-26, 9:16PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1976 an inventor introduced a technology that is heard every day. Surround sound.
His invention and designs were later used by both Dolby and Fosgate.
In 2003 he was honored for his inventions by winning an Emmy award. He is the inventor and patent holder (#3632886) on surround sound and quadraphonic reproduction.
The details are fascinating and long, recounted by his cousin David Scheiber in his article in his 11/2/03 article www.sptimes.com/2003/11/02/Floridian/Sound_recognition.shtml.

For sale here is Peter Scheiber's first commercial component, the 360 Degree Spatial Decoder, licensed by CBS and built in the mid to late '70's.
The surround effects rival Tate, and create an extraordinary sound field from ordinary stereo.
It decodes SQ. It also allows a pass through from a separate QS or SQ or CD-4 or discrete quad quadraphonic 4-channel source.
This component sold for $3,600 in the mid '70's
I believe this is the unit used to demonstrate Surround to Ray Dolby and company before their first surround release.
The 360 Spatial Decoder was sold for 3-4 years through audiophile dealers who demonstrated surround sound and quadraphonic quad.

Here is your chance to own the rarest of the rare decoder processors.
It was obtained it from Scheiber's representative following a trade show at the time, used for about 5 years, then boxed and stored. Until today.
There is also a substantial collection of quad records, too long to list, but I'm working on it for auction.
The unit is being sold as-is, being 35 years old. There is no schematic, and remotes weren't invented at that time.
The operating modes are relay driven, the unit lights, and I have removed the cover for photography here so you can see.
These may be the only easily available photographs of the 360 Spatial Decoder.
I believe it was made from commonly available analog parts without proprietary chip sets. Those were made later by others using these designs.
All the details about unit are what you see here.
The sound field it can produce, and its history is legendary for the fortunate few.
Here's your chance to own and experience an important piece of history.
Buy at $295 or tell a friend.
Thanks for looking!

Yep, that looks like the Scheiber 360 decoder. A pretty nice sounding SQ decoder back in the day.

Never owned one - but heard it demoed at an audio store in San Francisco with the Manhattans album in SQ. Pretty impressive sonics as I recall.

I would like to buy this unit but it doesn't appear to be on Craig's List Denver. I couldn't find it on Ebay or Amazon either. Using the Reply to link on this post does not work for me as all posts bounce.

Maybe THE original one...

360 Spatial Decoder SQ Surround Sound processor QS CD4 Matrix

Date: 2012-07-26, 9:16PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

In 1976 an inventor introduced a technology that is heard every day. Surround sound.
His invention and designs were later used by both Dolby and Fosgate.
In 2003 he was honored for his inventions by winning an Emmy award. He is the inventor and patent holder (#3632886) on surround sound and quadraphonic reproduction.
The details are fascinating and long, recounted by his cousin David Scheiber in his article in his 11/2/03 article www.sptimes.com/2003/11/02/Floridian/Sound_recognition.shtml.

For sale here is Peter Scheiber's first commercial component, the 360 Degree Spatial Decoder, licensed by CBS and built in the mid to late '70's.
The surround effects rival Tate, and create an extraordinary sound field from ordinary stereo.
It decodes SQ. It also allows a pass through from a separate QS or SQ or CD-4 or discrete quad quadraphonic 4-channel source.
This component sold for $3,600 in the mid '70's
I believe this is the unit used to demonstrate Surround to Ray Dolby and company before their first surround release.
The 360 Spatial Decoder was sold for 3-4 years through audiophile dealers who demonstrated surround sound and quadraphonic quad.

Here is your chance to own the rarest of the rare decoder processors.
It was obtained it from Scheiber's representative following a trade show at the time, used for about 5 years, then boxed and stored. Until today.
There is also a substantial collection of quad records, too long to list, but I'm working on it for auction.
The unit is being sold as-is, being 35 years old. There is no schematic, and remotes weren't invented at that time.
The operating modes are relay driven, the unit lights, and I have removed the cover for photography here so you can see.
These may be the only easily available photographs of the 360 Spatial Decoder.
I believe it was made from commonly available analog parts without proprietary chip sets. Those were made later by others using these designs.
All the details about unit are what you see here.
The sound field it can produce, and its history is legendary for the fortunate few.
Here's your chance to own and experience an important piece of history.
Buy at $295 or tell a friend.
Thanks for looking!

Back