Penteo will be "on the air" on WZLX starting Wednesday

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penteosurround

I just received word that WZLX in Boston will start actually broadcasting in HDRadio Surround on Wednesday the 11th of March. A big chunk of the material will be from Penteo upmixes. In addition, real 5.1 mixes and quad mixes will be used when available. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of prototype receivers that will be able to receive it in surround, but the whole point is to have a station transmitting in surround so that receiver designers (the Boston-based ones) can have something to design to.

Also - the Fraunhofer IIS system (which is being used at WZLX) will be the subject of a paper to be presented at the NAB Show. See http://www.nab.org/nabshow/Conferences/sessiondetail.asp?id=1205612.

-John Wheeler
Penteo is a registered trademark.

Good luck with the HDRadio broadcast. I understood you to say previously that the Fraunhofer IIS system is the only system out of the four to offer true discrete sound. The other 3 systems only offer various Matrix systems. I hope the Fraunhofer IIS system is adapted and that you reap the rewards of all your hard work. Then finally we'll be able to get a vintage "Quadraphonic" 24/7 radio station.

Please let us know when Fraunhofer offers the free download to hear the Broadcasts on the Boston website as you mentioned they might do in the future. Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
So how's it going John? Any feedback? It may be too soon to tell but just wondering.

Yes. I was wondering myself. How did it goes, or how does it go? :D

I honestly don't know. The deadline pretty much was to be able to demonstrate at the NAB Paper presentations that there actually is a surround station on the air alive and working. Right now I'm still getting material ready for them.

Also, ZLX had to move into a completely new building with all new studios and the world's first 8-channel live radio playback system, complete with broadcast wave cues and markers.

Just heard from a friend that was at NAB, and he was glowing about Surround Sound, after hearing the Penteo demos that were played down there.

I am hopeful that one day one of the stations I work at might try surround sound HD broadcasting.

Just heard from a friend that was at NAB, and he was glowing about Surround Sound, after hearing the Penteo demos that were played down there.

That's great to hear. Frank Foti, who was doing the demos, said that he would be throwing the Penteo name around, and it looks like he did.

Back