Pink Floyd "Animals (2022 Atmos mix)" Blu-ray Audio incl. hi-res Dolby Atmos; 5.1 and stereo mixes (2018 remix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if mastering is a big factor here.
I cranked pretty well for my first listen.
I wonder if it’s mastered sooooo dynamically that it just needs gobs more volume.
I’ll be able to do a deep comparison of the stereo/5.1/Atmos in a day or so.

Can anyone, like @Dynamic Editor weigh in on the channel activity of the 5.1 and the Atmos, along with the mastering/levels?

Is dialnorm a factor here?

Also, is the 5.1 mix presented here exACTly how it was on the previous blu-ray?

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but have been following the thread. My impression is that the 5.1 being as good as it is, you probably wouldn't gain much if anything from a mix down (may even sound worse).

The only thing I would say is that these discs tend to cost a lot if the go out of print and the cost to buy the Atmos copy isn't much. So, if you think you might expand your system at some point might be worth the $25 to get it.
Plus you could even sell the existing 5.1 release to bring the price down even more, which is probably what I’m gonna do.

I compared the two rips of the 5.1. They are exactly the same.
The atmos is slightly lower in volume (in the files). Dialnorm is applied differently by different receivers. I can turn it off on mine, so I'm not sure what the answer is in your case. You could try to use a phone app to match the SPL at the listening position.

I compared the two rips of the 5.1. They are exactly the same.
The atmos is slightly lower in volume (in the files). Dialnorm is applied differently by different receivers. I can turn it off on mine, so I'm not sure what the answer is in your case. You could try to use a phone app to match the SPL at the listening position.
Phone apps have a cut off below my preferred listening volume (quite often — gotta have bump from that bass).
I ought to get a real SPL.

I wonder if mastering is a big factor here.
I cranked pretty well for my first listen.
I wonder if it’s mastered sooooo dynamically that it just needs gobs more volume.
I’ll be able to do a deep comparison of the stereo/5.1/Atmos in a day or so.

Can anyone, like @Dynamic Editor weigh in on the channel activity of the 5.1 and the Atmos, along with the mastering/levels?

Is dialnorm a factor here?

Interesting! I had to turn Machine Head atmos way up to appreciate it fully. But this Animals atmos hits the mark entirely on my ‘normal’ volume settings…

Finally got to give this a listen. I was prepared for it to be fairly mediocre due to some of the feedback, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very clean, dynamic and enveloping mix. There's also some very low bass that I didn't recall in the 5.1 mix. Certainly the best mix yet for me. Sorry it hasn't impressed others.

Well the whole DialNorm thing trips me out. Apparently, in some cases and on some AVR's, it means nothing for Atmos.
Some of the captured streamers are very low, volume wise for me.

To wit: a fellow QQ member encoded some music in Atmos at different levels of DialNorm and I could detect no difference in volume with my Onkyo, yet some with other AVR's could.

I think the only time I ever see a brief DialNorm readout on my Onkyo is at the beginning of DTS-HD MAS Blu Ray.
If anyone has a better handle on this I'd like to hear it.

Just got it. Haven't listened yet BUT...

Is there anyone else who absolutely hates those black plastic hard buttons that hold the disc in the package? It feels like the disc could all too easily be cracked when trying to remove and replace the disc. Same issue with a Porcupine Tree set I have. Any ideas? :(
I think it works by pressing (somewhat hard) the center of the black "button". In this way the flexible plastic button sinks and leaves the CD somewhat free so that it can be removed with little effort. But the deformation of the button is very slight and must be done with great care.

At least, this is the way I get discs out of these types of holds.

I think it works by pressing (somewhat hard) the center of the black "button". In this way the flexible plastic button sinks and leaves the CD somewhat free so that it can be removed with little effort. But the deformation of the button is very slight and must be done with great care.

At least, this is the way I get discs out of these types of holds.
Me as well but I often find the buttons deform and make it a pita to replace the disc.

Anyone else having problems playing the DTSMA mixes on this new version? (The same mixes on the 5.1 release play fine.) It is happening on two Oppo decks, but I am starting to wonder if it is an HDMI problem with my amp, but that would not explain why the previous BR version of Animals plays these same DTSMA mixes fine.

I prefer the packaging on this version--including the black plastic nub (which doesn't bother me nearly as much as a cardboard pocket that opens onto the spine side of the gatefold). They did a new booklet, at least, plus you get a postcard and sticker. (Whoop-de-doo.) Granted, Guthrie's use of the overheads on the Atmos mix is so sparing as to be almost negligible. But each version was so inexpensive that I honestly don't mind having shelled out for both. (You wonder, though, why they gave this new release the same title--Animals 2018 Remix--as the previous 5.1 Blu-Ray, when the nominal selling point of this one is the inclusion of the 2022 Atmos mix. Releaseing the 2018 5.1 mix in 2022 was confusing enough already!)

Back