Pink Floyd Master tapes******************

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a piece of tape and run it through the tape path as it would go through while being played. You will have to loop over the capstan so that it does not pinch the tape. Hold both ends of the tape (about 3 feet) and run it back and fourth. When you hold the tape up, have someone push play so the tape will be in play position, heads engaged. You are looking for worn posts that have deeper grooves worn by the tape. They can pinch the sides of the tape and cause it to bind. You should get very little friction when pulling the tape through. Also, that idle wheel to the left of the head bridge should turn freely. Also, make sure that the pay out reel and take up reel are not in high tension mode as if trying to rewind or fast forward. they could be trying to yank the tape through the pinch roller. This could be a control problem caused by the infamous double sided board problem. If your control board hasn't been fixed, it needs to be done. Once done, it will not have the problem again if done right. There are other possible reasons, bad capstan motor bearings, and that sort of thing, or their lubrication could have dried up. With the power off, and the unit unplugged, open the back, reach in and turn the capstan motor flywheel. It should turn smoothly and effortlessly. The reel tables should do the same, but you have to disengage the brakes. You have to remove the front cover to check this. You disengage them by pushing in the brake solenoid plunger by hand. If you find anything wrong, check back with me, and we will look into it. Good luck!

The Quadfather

I had the whole thing apart and figured out how it all worked with out the manual! Checked motors and brakes all seem to be free and not binding . My felling is could it be a bad motor, electricaly weak or something of that nature! Brake solinoids seem to be o.k. and not dragging. Maybe I should just take it in and get it checked! Now Just need to find some one to do it! It was very dusty inside- cough cough!:x
Rob

Back