Pink Floyd-The Division Bell- Question.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hi, I was cleaning up my Pink Floyd files and The Division Bell I have about 7 versions.
Through Discogs I was able to narrow it down a bit. I had some double files.

My basic question, was there ever a 4.1 or 4.0 version released? I have one but could just be a file that floated my way?
After narrowing down I have:
2.1 Japanese CD from 2017.
The Later Years Box set, 2.1 and 5.1 2014 remix, including 5.1 The Division Bell Sessions.
2014 DVD 5.1 DTS.

The 4.1 that I have, offcial release?

Hi, I was cleaning up my Pink Floyd files and The Division Bell I have about 7 versions.
Through Discogs I was able to narrow it down a bit. I had some double files.

My basic question, was there ever a 4.1 or 4.0 version released? I have one but could just be a file that floated my way?
After narrowing down I have:
2.1 Japanese CD from 2017.
The Later Years Box set, 2.1 and 5.1 2014 remix, including 5.1 The Division Bell Sessions.
2014 DVD 5.1 DTS.

The 4.1 that I have, offcial release?
The only official surround mix of the Division Bell was a 5.1 mix originally released in 2014 (on Blu-Ray & DVD) which was then subsequently reissued as part of the Later Years box set

Thank you Ryan, that is what I suspected.
Not including the 4.1 that I have, I see why I was all goofed up as I have the DVD and Blu Ray from 2014.
I thought the Blu Ray was only from The Later Years box.
All solved now.

CDs can only have two channels of uncompressed audio: no more, no less. No such thing as a 2.1 CD.
I had a class on CDs, and the instructor said that the Red Book Spec calls for a 4-channel version, but nobody had ever used it, and he was unsure of its intent, having never heard of quad records himself.

Of course, that Red Book remains dark and mysterious.

I had a class on CDs, and the instructor said that the Red Book Spec calls for a 4-channel version, but nobody had ever used it, and he was unsure of its intent, having never heard of quad records himself.
While it's a shame it never happened, it would not have been technically possible to encode anything like 74 minutes of 4-channel LPCM audio at 44.1kHz/16-bits onto a regular CD. Maybe around 35 minutes with WAVE file over-head.

Related tangent at the time:
db1.jpg
db2.jpg

Related tangent at the time:
A great example of how to place 6-channel 'lossy' encoded DTS audio onto a DVD ;)

EDIT: Out of interest, did any branded manufacturer ever develop an 'CD player' that could spin DTS-CD's and output surround sound via SPDIF, or were they only all 'DVD players'?

Last edited:
A great example of how to place 6-channel 'lossy' encoded DTS audio onto a DVD ;)

EDIT: Out of interest, did any branded manufacturer ever develop an 'CD player' that could spin DTS-CD's and output surround sound via SPDIF, or were they only all 'DVD players'?
You can play dts CDs via a CD player through SPDIF just as long as your receiver is equipped with a dts decoder.

You can play dts CDs via a CD player through SPDIF just as long as your receiver is equipped with a dts decoder.
And as long as your CD player had an SPDIF output (which you were probably implying). My circa 1987 Philips had coaxial out which enabled me to play DTS-CDs in surround.
Thanks for the info... I can't remember ever buying/having a CD player with an SPDIF output. I went straight from my [1984] Philips CD101 to a DVD player with SPDIF (and SCART), that was given to me for beta-testing, way back in 1997. And by that time I had an AVR that offered DTS and Dolby Digital decoding...

Various replies:

Red Book Spec calls for a 4-channel version, but nobody had ever used it,
True. Other than the specific flag, there was NO agreement on how to accomplish that. The prospected way was a 32KHz sample rate and 12-bit depth which is a transfer rate a bit above the redbook standard. Please remember that 32KHz was one of the three std frequencies for digital audio, along with 44100 and 48000

Out of interest, did any branded manufacturer ever develop an 'CD player' that could spin DTS-CD's and output surround sound via SPDIF,

any CD player with SPDIF can do it, even PC drives. The only caveat for pc drives is to lower the voltage level of the spdif, which is a trivial passive circuit.

Maybe around 35 minutes with WAVE file over-head.

Not possible at the time of the RB definition, it would had required since the start a mechanism capable of double speed which came much later.

True. Other than the specific flag, there was NO agreement on how to accomplish that. The prospected way was a 32KHz sample rate and 12-bit depth which is a transfer rate a bit above the redbook standard. Please remember that 32KHz was one of the three std frequencies for digital audio, along with 44100 and 48000
Wow... LPCM 32kHz @12-bits... Interesting.

Maybe around 35 minutes with WAVE file over-head.

Not possible at the time of the RB definition, it would had required since the start a mechanism capable of double speed which came much later.
Indeed... And many thanks for the info ;)

Various replies:

I was working as a Patent Examiner when the lecture was provided for us. Even the USPTO couldn’t get us a copy of the Red Book, so finding anyone who has had access to that is rare. Too bad nothing ever happened with quad CDs, though. Or maybe not. An incompatible CD is something we never needed.

Of course, that Red Book remains dark and mysterious.
There's a long list of early to present day CD's that were mastered from original quad master tapes and apparently retained the quad encoding. I understand it requires a decoder, or in some cases Dolby ProLogic II, to play them in quad; my assumption is that they're Redbook mastered. My understanding is that they must be mastered from an original quad encoded source and that in some cases original quad only releases are mixed down to stereo (so those ones cannot be decoded, of course). But there seem to be many (perhaps most) instances where a label unknowingly mastered from the quad encoded tape, or there -only ever was- a quad release (so only a quad encoded master tape existed, Santana's Lotus was originally a quad only release back in 1974) and gifted those with decoders with a nice surprise.
I used to have a car that I'm guessing had ProLogic II as part of the sound system, I put on the early thick box CD set of Santana's Lotus and was startled by what seemed to me discrete quad sound. I could have been wrong, but I heard distinct separation and, not knowing that it was possible back then, I attributed it to differences in the speakers, perhaps different cone designs front and back showing a preference for different timbres. I was surprised when I started getting more into multichannel sound to find this info, and there was Lotus on the list... Quadraphonic CD Discography

I know there were a handful of matrix encoded CDs. The word I read was that if the LP was released just as a quad, no separate stereo release, that generally the CD would retain the SQ or QS encoding.

Back