Pioneer Relays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I scrounge a lot of used audio gear at the salvage bins and find that a lot of Pioneer quad (and stereo) receivers have problems with relays not clicking on, or sporadically working. As often as not, replacing the relay doesn't solve the problem. Occasionally this problem turns up in other makes, but it is most prevalent in the Pioneer receivers and amplifiers. Anybody know what the cause is?

A speaker protection relay is designed to open or not close when there is a DC voltage on the amplifier output. If the relay won't close, it's usually an indication that the amplifier has a problem. Check the amplifier output where it comes off the board with no signal and it should be zero volts. If not, then you know what is the problem.

The Quadfather

That makes perfect sense. I have to trace it down when it shows up, but I wonder if there is a common flaw in these Pioneer receivers and amps, as this problem is so prevalent in them. It could also save me some time by checking that area first. Thanks for your expertise.

I don't know about that. I imagine a good number of quad pieces you run across now days will have some kind of power amp problem. The reason is that when the amp blows on an old piece of gear, people don't want to invest in it, because they think that the unit will not last long before needing something else. However, most of the Japanese quad gear being made at the time was good quality gear in it's general construction. If the unit is well maintained, it will last. I have seen problems with the protection circuit itself, but that is rare. More than likely it's doing it's job, which is to protect your speakers from being fried in the event of a power amp failure. Speakers don't like direct current. The power amps have no capacitor separating the amp and the speaker, so if the amp fries, that relay is your only protection. Incidently, all it takes is just one channel going bad to shut it down. Look for it.

The Quadfather

Back