Pioneer SX-8000A CD-4 playback - I need some guidance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearhead

I have a Panasonic CD-4 turntable hooked to a Pioneer SX8000A receiver.
When playing quad albums, what setting do I select for CD4, SQ, etc?
I have no manual for this receiver.
Also, my left front speaker sometimes doesn't work. It plays in stereo, and one of the quad setting, but I forget which. It's hooked up correctly, but I don't know why there's no sound coming from it in certain settings of the quad selector switch.

IMG_0340-vi.jpg

gearhead said:
I have a Panasonic CD-4 turntable hooked to a Pioneer SX8000A receiver.
When playing quad albums, what setting do I select for CD4, SQ, etc?
Hello,

When you play a SQ encoded, quad record set your selector to the SQ matrix position. When you play a QS encoded, quad record set your selector to the regular matrix position. Regular matrix often gets used interchangeably with QS.

When playing stereo records, try either matrix, SQ or QS and see which one you like better. This would be a synthesized quad affect. Or, just listen in stereo if neither appeals to you.

That leaves CD-4. I'm not familiar with your receiver. If it does not have an onboard CD-4 decoder then you need to get an outboard decoder and your turntable will go through that, before it goes into the receiver. A CD-4 decoder would have 4 discrete outputs that would connect to four inputs on your receiver and then you would use the discrete setting on the selector that you pictured.

If you do have an onboard CD-4 decoder, then you would connect your turntable into your receivers phono input and you would set your selector to the discrete position when playing CD-4 encoded records. When it comes to quad records CD-4 is considered the discrete format, while SQ and QS are considered the matrix formats.

There are also quad 8 tracks and quad reel to reels and these are both also refered to as discrete formats.

It does take awhile to get it all sorted out at first but there are a lot of wise old quaddies here to help you. There may be someone who is more familiar with your receiver that can help you more. As far as having a channel go out in a quad setting and not in stereo, who knows, maybe some kind of relay, a bad decoder board, a bad amp?

Be prepared to have to get restorations done on your vintage gear to get it working properly. Use the search engine on this site to research with. There is a lot of very useful information here, sometimes you just have to dig a little to find it.

Welcome Aboard:)

Thanks! My turntable has a CD4 decoder built in, and 4 RCA's coming out.
I'd like to find manuals for it and the Pioneer-that would be helpful.

Back