Popular Science CD-4 Test Record

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyandi

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
The CD4 test record
of Project 3
Does not have the CD4 separation tone on it
Is there any reason?

The Project 3 / Popular Science test record came in 3 (or 4) flavours. I have the QS version. They also put out a CD-4 and SQ version. Checking Discogs there is an Australian and US version with a different catalogue number, with a QMX runout, which likely is EV-4. I guess that it was assumed that your quad system was already set up and this record was meant to test just how good (or bad) it was.

That's probably it. I have the SQ version and that's what it does. Just goes through some "tests" to see if your system works like the guy says it should. They refer to adjusting balance and volume controls, of course, but I'm sure they didn't want to get into the more complex CD-4 setup procedures although I don't know why as it's critical.

I am actually quite impressed with the SQ version. I found my system is pretty good with a Sony SQD-2050 decoder with placements correct and the musical selection recording is first rate.

Doug

Back