Problem with EW&F SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He also chopped it off the stereo mix, so...

You sure you're not having some kind of Mandela effect memory here? The runtime on the original stereo LP label is 3:53, and these are the runtimes of the digital versions from my collection:

1: 1993 Columbia Records CD
2: 2016 Vocalion redbook stereo layer
3: 2016 Vocalion SACD stereo layer
4: 2016 Vocalion SACD multichannel (quad) layer

1597978295795.png

Unless the original stereo LP was actually longer than the 3:53 listed on the label, every digital version (including the Vocalion stereo and quad layers) are as long or longer than the original vinyl.

Unless the original stereo LP was actually longer than the 3:53 listed on the label, every digital version (including the Vocalion stereo and quad layers) are as long or longer than the original vinyl.
Yes, the track runtime is the same, but it begins with silence rather than the start of the chatter, which is missing. Observe:

Now compare that to what you hear on the Dutton release.

[QUOTE="steelydave,

I don't know if it's still the case, but Oppo used to offer a flat-fee service charge for laser assembly replacement on their players - I think maybe @GOS took advantage of this a while back, so maybe he can speak to how correct I am.
[/QUOTE]
FWIW - my friend in Portland send The BDP-93 I found him last year to OPPO for this service on July 8th. Send him my spare 93 Player so the 93 unit With new laser came to me last week.

Yes, the track runtime is the same, but it begins with silence rather than the start of the chatter, which is missing. Observe:

Now compare that to what you hear on the Dutton release.

The version you linked to is from a 2002 greatest hits compliation called "Soul With a Capital "S", and yes, it does have an extra 4-beat stick click count-in from the drummer, but I don't believe this appears on any other version of the album.

As you can see both Sony's official album version on YouTube is the same as the D-V version:

as does this needledrop of the original 1976 LP from a very respected Youtube needledropper:

I get that if the version you linked to above was the one you first became familiar with that it's probably jarring that it's not there on the D-V version, but I'm sure Mike was must mastering that D-V release to match what was on the original LP - you can't accuse him of chopping a count-in that wasn't on the original releases of the LP to start with, I don't think.

Well, this all turned out VERY well. I'm glad the disc had a glitch (have had messages that other people had issues) as one suggestion to 'rip the sacd' which after trying years ago I thought was away tooo complicated led me to the ultra simple Oppo USB / MAC system and I've ripped all my discs to DSF files which play beautifully through the OPPO via Jriver. I now need to see if there's a similar ripping programme for the Opposite for Blu-Ray Audio (anyone?)

Well, this all turned out VERY well. I'm glad the disc had a glitch (have had messages that other people had issues) as one suggestion to 'rip the sacd' which after trying years ago I thought was away tooo complicated led me to the ultra simple Oppo USB / MAC system and I've ripped all my discs to DSF files which play beautifully through the OPPO via Jriver. I now need to see if there's a similar ripping programme for the Opposite for Blu-Ray Audio (anyone?)

I don’t know if you’d call it similar, but ripping blu ray audio is also a two-step process, and - as far as I know - it requires a BD drive for your computer. Use a program called MakeMKV (www.makemkv.com) to make a backup of the BD on your computer, then use DVD Audio Extractor (www.dvdae.com) to extract the audio from the BD backup.

I don’t know if you’d call it similar, but ripping blu ray audio is also a two-step process, and - as far as I know - it requires a BD drive for your computer. Use a program called MakeMKV (www.makemkv.com) to make a backup of the BD on your computer, then use DVD Audio Extractor (www.dvdae.com) to extract the audio from the BD backup.

Many Oppos will also recognize and play a BDMV folder as if it were a Blu-Ray disc--this was most recently discussed on the JT Aqualung Blu-Ray thread (where some of us have been wringing our hands over our failing discs)--although I myself haven't been able to get it to work...

Last edited:
Back